Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 23:10   #1

Delivery Crew Available Oct-Dec Anywhere

My girlfriend and I are looking to spend the fall sailing, and gain some more experience so that we may be able to some day sail our own boat around the world. I am 29 years old and do not smoke. I spend the winters teaching skiing to children in Jackson Hole, Wyoming (we are both American), and my girl friend spends the summer working with highschool kids in Alaska building trails. We are both athletic, out going, and reliable.

We are available from October until the middle of December (or any portion there of) as a delivery crew to assist with night watches, as deckhands, cooks, or as general good company.

As far as sailing experience goes, I grew up boating in the San Juan Islands, but this was mostly on power boats. I am familiar with ropes, docking, anchoring, navigation, boating terms and etiquette. I spent the spring of 2007 sailing in the Caribbean. This was my first taste of traveling by wind power instead of motor. I loved it so much, I decided to assist a single-hander in an offshore passage from the Virgin Islands to Bermuda than up to Massachusettes. With just two of us aboard a 44' sloop, I had to learn quickly. Fortunately, I am a fast learner and was very eager. I also excel in stressful situations. We had hurricane Barry chasing us most of the way to Bermuda. In all, we spent 12 days off-shore, each of us having two three-hour watches each night. By then end of the trip, I felt comfortable handling the boat solo in a variety of conditons.

Elizabeth, has never sailed on anything bigger than a dingy, but is very excited to learn. She is highly inteligent and capable of any task, physical or mental. Spending summers in the backcountry of Alaska will make anyone strong. She has a beautiful spirit and is a great cook.

We are currently in Seattle, but are willing to travel to and from anywhere to make this experience work. Please post if you would like any additional information or have any interest in having a dynamite team on board.

Tags
crew, crew available, deckhand, delivery, watchkeeper