Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 17:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
deliver boat from oxnard to san diego - crew wanted

I'm interested in referrals on a small crew to sail from Oxnard down to San Diego in a few weeks (end of March 2008, beginning of April 2008). I'm looking at other options as well (did the Google search, talked to Brokers for delivery service referrals, soliciting help from friends) ... but I like to leave no stone unturned!

So here are my questions:
  • know a seasoned coastal sailor with few days to make the voyage
  • have a good (heck, even BAD) story to share or things to look for
  • how much would it cost to have someone sail this? One quote was $450 "with expenses". How much would these expenses possibly be?
Your replies are appreciated ... thanks in advance!

PS - yes, I have already used the forum search function
Old 08-03-2008, 18:14   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
$450 sounds reasonable. Expenses are food and fuel and repairs. It is not a hard trip if you have sailing experience. Easy overnight trips. Look for the boat "The Cruisers guide to central and Southern California" for tips. Also since I see you are a professor look at the latest Lattitude 38 in the charter section their is a story of a prof who charters a boat every year for his history of California class. If you have some friends that are reasonable sailors you can do the trip in one brutal weekend or over the course of three 50 mile days. Good Luck with it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50   #3

Delivery

Hi,

sent you a private Mess with my e-mail. I may be able to help you.

steve
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
SS - are you looking for someone to deliver it FOR you, or WITH you? Frankly, if you have any experience and/or know of one or two others, it could be a really fun trip on a long weekend. Even shorter if you don't stop along the way. If you have a pro deliver it (See Steve above) it entails contracts and $$$. You'll pay skipper's daily fee plus crew (min. of one), plus expenses (as explained above). That is IF the boat is ready to go. So, $450 plus, is probably a darn good deal - but you don't KNOW the skipper.

buyer beware

good luck
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
buyer beware
Yep, buyer beware.

I ran into a guy at the shipyard a few months ago. Seems he found some guys willing to bring his cat up from Florida for free just for the trip. While they were coming through South Carolina, they lost their lights. They were afraid to anchor out, so they beached it, but didn't figure on the tide. During the night, the boat lay down on the steeply sloped bank. When the water came back up, it came over the stern and swamped it. Then they called the owner and said they had to get back home. Just left it where it was. With no contract, the owner was just left with a musty, flooded boat full of empty beer cans and a outboard that had been underwater during 4 tides before he could get to it. Luckily the boat was somewhat trashed when he bought it for next to nothing, but it's much worse now. He was fabricating a new motor mount when I last saw him.

Sometime free isn't worth the price. $450 may not either. It might be great. If they want a contract, that's probably a good sign. But as Elusive said, buyer beware.
Old 09-03-2008, 13:46   #6

Check the references……………check the references’ then check them again. Any good Captain will require an inspection prior to a contract and only sign one provided the vessel is safe and operational. Stay away from the HOTDOG CAPTAINS who claim to be able to sail any boat in any condition
Old 09-03-2008, 14:43   #7

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
Great advice all around from you guys.

On the WITH or FOR sailing question -- that is yet to be determined based on work schedule Who *wouldn't* want to take a few days off & sail her down? Just a matter of whether that is possible in this timeframe.

The boat is indeed in "ready to go" condition.

Good advice about the contract. Also, glad to know that $450 seems reasonable (assuming the refs check out).

Keep the good advice coming if you have anything else to add. I'd hate to have to change my moniker to SadSailor.

Tags
san diego