Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2007, 13:01   #1

Boat: Looking for crewing opportunities - I don´t own a boat
Send a message via MSN to daveyrogers Send a message via Skype™ to daveyrogers
Crewing Opportunity Wanted in Central America - Carribean/Pacific

Hi, I'm a 34year old chartered surveyor from London and I am in the middle of a 12 month sabbatical since the 1st June, or maybe for a while longer! I currently ilive in DF Mexico, but I have taken some tiime out to travewl and I am now in Guatemala, heading for Panama. I am also trying to learn some Spanish which is very slow!

Prior to arriving in Mexico I sailed from Falmouth, on the south coast of the Uk to Menorca, in the Mediterranean via La Coruna, Vigo, Barbate, Gibralter, Almeria and on to Menorca, delivering, with the owner, a Bavaria 41 Holliday with a crew of 4 including myself, plus two extra crew from La Coruna as far as Gibralter.

Prior to this trip I have spent one week sailing for the past five years in the Solent, Isle of Wight, UK, where every September myself and a colleague chartered 38ft and a 44ft Bavaria for one week each year to day sail while entertaining clients. Unfortunately I do not have any formal sailing qualifications, however I have been advised that I am over competent crew status. My duties whilst delivering the Bavaria 41 included general deck hand duties, plotting our location hourly, helm, night watch, cooking and cleaning and even preparing fish that I had managed to catch whilst on our journey. I also carried out some minor sail repairs to ripped eye-lets on the lazy jack cover, replacing the light cover to the mast light, draining the diesel tank with a make-shift pump to remove debris from the fuel tank and clear blockages etc and carry out mastic repairs to part of the teak decking to stop a minor leak and finally replaced a faulty port hole window. This delivery counted for 21 days of sailing including a total of 70hrs night sailing and navigation, with a total journey of 1,700 nautical miles.

About me, I am a none smoker, physically fit, relaxed and pretty laid back. I am available immediately and ideally I am looking for any opportunity to crew with a relaxed team and gain more experience and record more ocean miles. I can be contacted on my hotmail, daveyrogers@hotmail.co.uk or on my mobile phone, / 521 5513370079 and skype davey0035

Also for your information, please find below two web links, one from Steve Fairy the owner of Pania, 41ft Bavaria and David Morgan of Morgan Sailing which you may find interesting and who would both be happy to provide you with references from my delivery trip mentioned above. Morgan Sailing
Blew Yonder
steve.fairey@enabis.co.uk

Finally, I am happy to travel at my own expense to the location of the boat and also my return airfare, however I would welcome the opportunity to meet and chat prior to any sailing, however I appreciate this may not be possible. I trust the above is of interest to you and I should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

David Rogers

Tags
Central America, crewing