Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 06:34   #1

Boat: F & C 44
Crew Wanted - Transatlantic West-East May/June 2015

Shortish notice - leaving Stonington, CT ETD May 20 2015, expect to be in Cowes UK June 20-24th ( via Azores) and will then take part in the amazing Round the Island Race.

Here is a link with a bit more information and contact details:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trans...k=object-title
Old 03-04-2015, 12:45   #2

Boat: Columbia 57
Re: Crew Wanted - Transatlantic West-East May/June 2015

Interested. Have done 2 transatlantics before and have over 5000 blue water miles. Only thing I see as an issue is the funding of travel expenses etc. I am available but can't come out of pocket to go across the pond. Let me know if you are interested and I can email you my CV. Based in SC.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-04-2015, 04:29   #3

Dylan 843,

Thanks so much for your response. Your experience is great and I'd love to know more detail but if travel expenses are a deal breaker then I am afraid it won't work.

Many thanks for your interest , if you see the possibility of paying your own travel expenses please let me know.

Cheers

Will
Old 04-04-2015, 05:01   #4

Buying a boat and outfitting for a trans atlantic passage can be expensive, that's for sure.

I don't know the OP's skill or experience level but two with experience plus one without is basically double-handing when conditions are so bad that they demand hand-steering. I would dig deeper in my pocket and pay for a couple plane tickets for someone experienced.

Three days into a five or six day blow you will be glad you did. This coming from someone who basically double-handed and hand-steered across the Atlantic last summer.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:10   #5

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoose View Post
Shortish notice - leaving Stonington, CT ETD May 20 2015, expect to be in Cowes UK June 20-24th ( via Azores) and will then take part in the amazing Round the Island Race.

Here is a link with a bit more information and contact details:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trans...k=object-title
Hi - I might be interested.

I have a Hinckley 50 yawl in Maine but wasn't going to launch her until mid July. And I have a classic schooner in Palma, Mallorca which for the moment is not useable as I'm having the entire electrical system totally rewired and God knows how long that'll take. I'm a retired neurosurgeon and have owned and sailed boats for 46 years. Now I sail mostly single-handed (my wife gets seasick and the only people who want to go sailing with me are usually women - which my wife absolutely nixes). I have never done a trans-Atlantic (been to Bermuda and the Virgins a few times - from New England and back).

We have a home in Bath, UK and I'm sure that helping with provisions would be cheaper than a plane ticket to the UK. From there EasyJet to Mallorca so I can kick-ass and get my electrician moving and finish the job on my schooner.

I'll attach some links for pics/movie if this site can handle it.

PJ Kelly

Old 04-04-2015, 10:41   #6

KellyP08,

Thanks very much for your post. I can't promise the luxurious accommodations of your beautiful Hinckley but the Snowgoose is a well found vessel and a joy to sail. Your plan looks like both highly practical and a lot of fun. That being said the presence of a physician on board - retired or otherwise - is always welcome.
I am currently in the UK and my e mail address is ragtimewill@gmail.com - please e mail me and - if you are on Skype - we can set up a time to have a conversation.

Very Best

Will

Tags
crew, crew wanted, wanted