Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2009, 21:50   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Crew Wanted: Doing the Ditch

I am looking for help in working my older ketch down the ditch for the first good jump to the Bahamas. I am in need of smart willing and flexible crew to join in the the run south. Ilse of Avalon is an older but proven ketch of 38 ft. She was built in S. Africa to a Van de Stadgt design, also known as the Victory 40. I am doing the inside passage until I find adequate and complementary crew, at which point an outside run might be in order. Anchoring will be the preferred overnight stay. T his not a fancy yaght so not for the wantobees. All expenses will be shared equally. I am open to all enquirers and suggestions. I hope to leave the lower eastern shore of Maryland in late Oct or early Nov.
Old 22-09-2009, 19:22   #2
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
If you're new and want some help and advice, email me back and we can hook up at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show - I lecture on doing the ditch, although I'm speaking on Cuba at the show this year.

Wally
Old 22-09-2009, 20:06   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Glad to hear from you Wally. Yes I am somewhat new to the ditch, although I did help bring an old Hinkley Pilot up to Crisfield Md. from Elizabeth city a few years ago. Any advice that you would like to offer would be greatly appreciated. I was not planning to attend the show this year, but that could change. As I am sure that you can imagine, I am in a bit of a crunch for time and other resources. Cuba is also looking interesting, and I hope that I can hear more about your talk, if I cannot actually attend.
Regards,
Tom
Old 22-09-2009, 20:42   #4
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
The ditch isn't all that difficult, just pay attention to the markers and depth sounder! I always suggest that people pick up kettlewell's strip chart book to the ICW, plus Moeller's companion guide. Those two, plus the appropriate Waterway Guides, give you all the info you'll need. If you have any area specific questions, fire away.
I'll be on the ditch just behind you from the looks of it.
Old 07-10-2009, 13:46   #5

Boat: Thinking about buying sailing
Send a message via MSN to koyote11 Send a message via Skype™ to koyote11
I am offering my assistance as a crew companion for any sailors who could use another hand in a sea passage on any size sailboat.

I once owned a 36-foot Columbia and sailed the Great Lakes extensively. I was also involved in yacht deliveries in the Caribbean. The past 20 years, I’ve lived in the Southwest and now feel the desire to return to the sea. I wish to spend up to a month sailing anywhere you desire.

I am in excellent physical condition. I recently climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire with my two sons on a lively two-day excursion that left both of them winded. I hike 10 miles daily and have crewed on vessels in Southwestern Connecticut regularly throughout the summer.

I enjoy people and am good-natured and accommodating. I have lots of experiences to share and am a vivid storyteller. In addition to my sailing experience and knowledge, I believe I can bring a lot to the table; a strong and healthy body and mind, and advanced degrees in chemistry and astrology that often provoke interesting and enlightening conversation. I contribute to, and thrive in an atmosphere that is both fun but challenging.

I am also a digital photographer and plan to document any trip creatively and vividly. My work can be viewed at www.pbase/com/koyote11/sailing.

I will pay my own expenses and can provide references and recommendations upon request.
Old 07-10-2009, 17:56   #6

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Wow, impressive for sure. I think you would be a real asset... Dont think I have ever known anyone with a degree in Astrology, that would certainly make for some interesting conversations...
Old 07-10-2009, 19:57   #7

Thanks for your interest. I have spent many years studying metaphysics and written a book on the subject. Lately, I have been corellating the metaphysical interpretation of numbers to the chemical elements and have been getting very interesting results. I plan to write a book on the subject. John M
Old 07-10-2009, 20:59   #8

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyote11 View Post
Thanks for your interest. I have spent many years studying metaphysics and written a book on the subject. Lately, I have been corellating the metaphysical interpretation of numbers to the chemical elements and have been getting very interesting results. I plan to write a book on the subject. John M
So you're on the verge of figuring out how to turn lead into gold?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Skip the Ditch - Bahamas Cruising Rally

The Cruising Rally Association announced that it is expanding its year-round calendar of offshore sailing rallies and seminars to include the Bahamas Cruising Rally.
The BRC, opened to power- and sailboaters, will leave Hampton, Va., Nov. 2 and cruise directly to Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas.

Cruising Rally Association | Offshore sailing - Adventure, Camaraderie, Competition

http://www.carib1500.com/documents/P...isingRally.pdf

John M (koyote11): At what institution does one get an advanced degree in astrology?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:55   #10

I'm afraid you caught me. You're right, no places to get degrees in metaphysical concept like Astrology. The subject will never give proofs of existence to satisfy the scientist, I guess thats why they call it metaphysics. I wrote a book on the subject and gave many lectures and classes on the subject so the degree is Honorary. John M
Old 13-10-2009, 13:46   #11

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
I am available to do the "ditch" run south please P.M. and look into what kjango has to say about me here on this site.
Old 13-10-2009, 14:04   #12

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post
All expenses will be shared equally.
What is up with that? This isn't the first time I've seen this expressed when reading postings looking for crew. What, it isn't enough that the crew isn't getting paid, they also have to share boat 'expenses' for the passage? LOL! Check the condition of the liferaft, mateys!
Old 13-10-2009, 14:14   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post
All expenses will be shared equally. .

Yeah, this has me wondering. What are "all expenses", fuel? marina charges? When you're looking for help usually the boat owner pays for stuff like that. When I've had help going south, crew paid for their own booze and that was it. I paid for everything else. And that would be my expectations if helping someone.
Old 15-10-2009, 04:57   #14

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
And this is how we get all the inexperienced people on the water!
Old 18-10-2009, 06:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Skip the Ditch - Bahamas Cruising Rally

At what institution does one get an advanced degree in astrology?
FWIW, Steve Black runs a first rate operation, and though this rally to the Bahamas is new, I would expect it to deliver on expectations. And what a great way to get to Marsh Harbour in a few days rather than a few weeks! (I have no affiliation with this event by the way.)

I think you can get an advanced degree in astrology at one of Nippers, Foxy's, or Pusser's, after 4 or 5 hours of "studying" with the professor (aka, "bartender"). [I'm just teasing, so please don't take offense.]