Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2014, 04:26   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Crew wanted - Catamaran - Portugal - Canaries

Hi,
We are currently in Porto headed toward the Canaries in October where we will stay till crossing the Atlantic witht he Atlantic Odyssey mid November.
The vessel is a new Lagoon 400 with all safety gear (liferaft/satphone etc)
Im an Australian licensed skipper, and Jen is French (speaks English, Spanish, French) and we also have our German Shepard dog on board with us.
We enjoy sailing, sharing our experiences, swimming, surfing, music (piano, guitars etc onboard) and exploring the new places we find along the way in our travels. The past couple of years we have been sailing in the Med.
Occasionally we have taken crew on board with us and have had very good experiences with this.
Usually it is just the two of us, however over the coming months we may like to have some crew join us on board.
We are likely to be in Cascais next week, then down to Southern Portugal for a couple of weeks before heading to the Canaries (possibly via the African coast for a weeks stop in Agidir) Direct to Canaries would be a 4 day sail, via Africa 2 x 2 days approx.
In the Canaries we will have 4-6 weeks of exploring the Islands before our planned crossing.
We have the time to plan for best weather windows so this is not a delivery trip, more enjoy the sights and sailing along the way. With this in mind exact departure dates can't be provided so this would not suit someone with fixed agenda's.
Travel expenses to and from Sephina to be paid by the you, and onboard expenses to be shared. This may appeal to anyone considering buying their own catamaran and wishing to sample the lifestyle and sailing characteristics of living aboard and sailing one, or to anyone wanting to learn more about sailing and seamanship in general.
We may also take on one additional crew member for the Atlantic crossing mid November.
Age, gender and experience is not as important as being a good fit, so feel free to contact us if you are interested via email.

Regards
Rob and Jen (and Balrog)

some more info on us and Sephina here Sephina
P.S. Please read this post carefully before asking questions. Questions already answered in the original post or irrelevant to the post will most likely be ignored, such as "when will you be in Greece? I would like to sail there in October"
Old 14-08-2014, 13:27   #2

Re: Crew wanted - Catamaran - Portugal - Canaries

Hey Jen & Rob: I'm available September 26- October 29-ish. If I can help let me know. email: ebyellig@gmail.com. Ned
Old 14-08-2014, 13:30   #3

Thumbs up Re: Crew wanted - Catamaran - Portugal - Canaries

I'm also available for your mid-November crossing. I have to be in Tampa, FL for a wedding 10/31-11/2+/- Ned
Old 15-08-2014, 06:11   #4

Hi Monte,

I have PM'd you. If it didn't come through let me know and I'll try again (I'm new to this forum).

Cheers,

Will
Old 15-08-2014, 12:58   #5

Hi Monte!

I'm looking for a sailing opportunity for 1-3 weeks from 08-25 to 09-14. I play the guitar as well and like snorkeling. I have several years of sailing experience and I am handy and active on a boat.

Let me know if you're interested : deyan.poffet@gmail.com

Cheers,

Deyan
Old 17-08-2014, 09:04   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the replies, will contact you via email
Rob and Jen
Old 17-08-2014, 16:40   #7

Hello Rob, Jen, and Balrog,

I am a 47 year old single female looking to gain sailing experience. I have RYA Day Skipper and Competent Crew certificates but minimal experience beyond sailing school (in Greece and Colorado). I am very fit, healthy, helpful, and sociable. I am American and, besides English, I speak French, Spanish, and some Italian. I love to travel and am good at solving problems of all kinds. I am a mechanical engineer and worked for the past six years for a solar energy company in Colorado. I was laid off with half the company in April, my daughters just left for college, and timing is opportune for a sailing adventure.
My timing is flexible, and your itinerary sounds lovely.
Please let me know what other information you might like, and if we can set up a Skype call to meet each other.
Most sincerely,
Alison Mason
Old 21-08-2014, 12:50   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Alison
Old 22-08-2014, 03:14   #9

Hello Rob and Jen,

We are a spanish couple living and working in Amsterdam. We are 26 and 32 years old. We love to sail but we are not really experienced with sails but in only 3 years, we already have 2 beautiful boats to enjoy of the Amsterdam canals.

We are looking forward to cross the Atlantic and visit the origin of my girlfriend in Argentina and we really want to do it sailing the big blue. We are able to do it after November...December or January would be ideal for us.

We are able to pay but not the prices that private companies wants like 3500 euros by person.

If you are interested and/or you know someone that could fix in our demand...please, contact with me.

Thanks in advance
Old 26-08-2014, 02:34   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks guys and girls, just an update. We are currently in Lagos, Southern Portugal and will likely depart for the canaries in a week or two, either direct or via Africa. This would be a week or so on board with us. If you are interested and available around that time, let us know and we can take it from there.
We are still considering crew for the Atlantic crossing in November and would prefer meet and sail with potential crew in person prior to November.
Cheers
Rob and Jen
Old 26-08-2014, 05:34   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi, Jen and Rob: I live in Gran Canaria. I shall be happy to say hello if You pass around my place. I live and I have my boat in the marina of Pasito Blanco, in the very south of Gran Canaria island. I shall be sailing around the Canaries from the 15th of September till the 8th of October in my holidays time. If you are around, we could have a beer or two...,ha,ha,ha...
Have a very nice sailing..fair winds...Sonja and Agustín.
Old 26-08-2014, 06:41   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Sonja and Agustín.we will look you up when we are in town!
Old 27-08-2014, 06:44   #13

We are a retired couple (50 & 52) that are considering buying a catamaran, we would love to join you on yours. We have done this twice before and both times worked out. We can join anytime (after we work out details, etc..). We are healthy, easygoing, handy, love the water & adventure. Please e-mail garysherry2012@yahoo.com or call 828-421-1225 if you would like to discuss further. Thank you, Gary & Sherry
Old 30-08-2014, 13:45   #14

please contact me if you are interested: tblackburn7@gmail.com

Just posted this is crew available:

I'm looking to crew aboard a vessel in the timeframe of October 14 - March 15.

Why:
This is something I've always wanted to do. When I was 17 I wrote down a list of things that I wanted to do before I died, and sailing across an ocean was one of them. Now I don’t need to cross an ocean but I would like to do this. I have some free time that I will likely never have again, and wanted to take advantage of it. I left my job at 3M where I worked as a scientist, and am going back for my MBA next year. Frankly I don’t want to waste this opportunity.

Who I am: I'm 28 years old male. I am physically fit, by no means an Olympic athlete, but I work out regularly. I am relatively strong, and have had many labor jobs in the past, where I have been a landscaper, mechanic, machine operator. I’m not a stranger to work, and more importantly I know how to respect equipment and situations. That was a while ago, now I am a formally trained chemist, who has worked for drug companies and more recently 3M. I am responsible, mature, and can be trusted. I am drug free and a non-smoker. I drink occasionally, but would prefer a dry boat (strongly if doing an ocean crossing). I have traveled extensively, both first and third world (and know to keep out of trouble). You can find my professional experience at ca.linkedin.com/in/tblackburn7/. I hold two passports.

What I can bring: First of all, I bring a strong sense of responsibility, and my attitude is that skipper is in charge. I realize that this is not a vacation. I’ve sailed extensively on small boats and kiteboarded, I have a good sense for the ocean and weather. I will admit I have limited experience on larger vessels. I have done a lot of boat repair with my uncle additionally working at 3M has exposed me to many additionally techniques. I’m good with my hands, having worked on cars and am pretty handy with electrical and mechanical tasks. I’m also a pretty damn good cook as well. I’m trained in first aid.

I’m looking to line something up pretty soon. I can travel pretty much too any port on relatively short notice. Currently You can contact me via email. tblackburn7@gmail.com
Old 07-09-2014, 11:35   #15

Hello Monte! I am interested in meeting you guys down in the Canary islands and potentially doing some trial sailings with you. I plan on arriving to Tenerife near the end of this month and will be looking to cross the Atlantic. I have been travelling on a bicycle since July 2013 mostly visiting new friends I have made during my time in Europe. Now I am slowly making my way home again after visiting relatives in Ireland. I have very little interest in flying home because to me the best part of travelling is the getting there and planes just get you there too quickly! Feel free to contact me any time

Happy sailing!!!

Tags
aries, Canaries, catamaran, crew, crew wanted, Portugal, wanted