Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 10:00   #1

Boat: In between boat ownership
Crew Safety

The following experience was shared by three all-volunteer male crew (aged 54, 64 and 67) on a recent sail from Southern Mexico through the Panama Canal and departing the boat (a 1981 cutter rigged ketch CT 47 bought by the present owner in 1988) in Colon, Panama. The three crew were all attracted by the captain/owner’s posting in Crew Wanted. Two were very experienced sailors and one was a newbie but demonstrated more than adequate boat experience for the on-board tasks. The pre-sail Skype conferences and email correspondence seemed adequate to uncover any obvious deception with plenty of questions from all and demonstrable coherence on the part of the owner who readily answered questions and suggested that the boat was not new but in good shape and offered plenty of his own insight from years of operating a charter sailing company in California and teaching sailing to hundreds of beginners and seasoned professionals alike. He also offered his web page for further disclosure.

One of the crew arrived a week earlier to assist the owner with what was assumed to be minor repairs only to discover the boat had been attacked by a swarm of bees and colonized by bees and wasps only killed and mostly removed the week before. Still the boat was infected with black mold throughout every inch of the below decks. While a week of intense effort to remove mold left the boat a little cleaner, the state of mess and filth were still very evident to everyone three days before departure. It was discovered that not a single thru-hull, of the 27 openings, could be adjusted open or closed though it was not clear how many there should have been as several thru-hulls were abandoned by the owner or previous owners. It was then found that neither of the outboards for the dinghy were operable but (after a halting start of one of them) it was believed that they could be repaired easily enough and so they were forgotten in the haste to leave.

When the rest of the crew finally arrived in Mexico to begin the sail, it was discovered that the boat (on the hard for a year by then) was in general disrepair from postponed or neglected deferred maintenance for over two decades including engine repair, electronics, portal and hatch maintenance; thru-hulls, needed lubrication and sealants; sail repair, bottom and deck painting and many details that were left unattended for many years during which the owner apparently suffered a cancer that when later in remission did not resume any apparent effort to bring the boat to a current state of repair. During the 2014 sailing season the owner relocated the boat to Southern Mexico from California with other volunteer crew from this forum. The previous crew left the sail early forcing the owner to place the boat on the hard in Mexico. Now arrived in Mexico, the new 2015 crew felt that they had been deceived by the owner and were forced to either pay for their extended stay out of their own pocket or return to the U.S. and quit the sail which was intended to relocate the boat to Southern Florida in three legs from Mexico to Costa Rica; Costa Rica to Panama and Panama to Florida. Such an undertaking of approximately 3,200nms would be challenging for any well-equipped and maintained cruising sailboat but made all the more difficult for a new crew on a boat that was bound for failure, even before the departure, with the first problems occurring at the fueling dock the day before setting sail from Mexico. The transmission linkage fell apart as the boat was being fueled forcing a crew member to hold the shift rod in hand while the owner nursed the boat back to its slip. That was the day before departure. After the port police inspection and Zarpe were issued, the boat and four on board were to begin a sail into the abyss.

The next four weeks were a continuing nightmare for all involved with a water fall washing the stove and non-functioning oven rusted shut. The back burners could not be lit for fear of burning the wooden stove top cover. Gradually, the boat disclosed its true status: The electronics seemed hopelessly inadequate as the batteries never seemed to charge with many hours of the engine running and the single panel solar unit charging too. At one point the main starting battery was barely able to start the engine while the boat tumbled along in 35+knots of wind during which the genoa was shredded (though reefed to 60%). Water poured over the navigation station while all of the ports and hatches leaked rivers from bow to stern cabins, galley and heads too. This was about the time that it was discovered that the aft head was backed up and spilling its waste into the aft cabin. The reason plainly, the owner had not emptied the aft waste tank the year before when placing the boat on the hard. Like other issues that would follow, the owner complained of no financial ability to maintain the boat but promised all would improve when he arrived in Florida, still some 3,000 nms away. The completely avoidable risk of sailing without a current weather report reflects terribly on all aboard given that three of the members are IT professionals, nevertheless, the fact was that the electrical power was not available in any event to power any laptop or even the smaller Garmin hand held units much less the ceiling fans that did not work at all for all of the corrosion that was evident everywhere.

The boat was able to limp into Golfito, Costa Rica for repairs that included a week of crew assisted efforts to remove and repair the transmission, remove and fill and recharge the batteries on board, remove and rebuild the sheaves at the mast head; repair the shredded Genoa; caulk and repair many of the port leaks and leaks at the base of the masts; replace a failed alternator; repaired leaking hydraulic lines and on and on. During this time the owner assumed that the crew would pay whatever their land costs were without any discussion of reimbursement to the crew. The crew argued with the owner for at least the reimbursement of their hotel cost which he deferred with a promise to pay at some future time after we were through the Canal. Once underway again, the hop to Panama took another week where it was discovered that the one slightly operable outboard would not work at all. This proved to be a nearly terminal problem trying to communicate with the port nearly a quarter mile away in cross winds and chop. One of the crew chose to return to the U.S. in disgust.

Once underway again through the canal, the owner was forced to relinquish control to a Canal administrator and linemen until we arrived in Colon and Shelter Island where the owner nearly collided with other boats with an unexplainable, unannounced too-fast arrival at a slip totally unprepared for a landing, people running everywhere to save other boats from the near collision. In Colon the crew decided the trip was over and reminded the owner that he had not contributed to his share of the crew kitty or any of the out-of-pocket expenses that should have been reimbursed to the crew. In the last day, the crew was forced to abandone hundreds of dollars worth of provisions. Amazingly, the owner appeared to be making the trip with only social security income and was unprepared for the real cost of some $7,000, apparently expecting that his crew would cover him.

In short, the crew was not fully apprised of the boat condition until they arrived in Mexico. The owner was all too willing to risk his crew and his own wellbeing to deliver an unseaworthy boat some 3000nms without electronic charts, weather information or any means of affording the most basic of repairs to his boat. The lessons here are

1. A prospective owner should not hesitate to share current photographs with his crew before arrival.
2. Do not hesitate to get definitive answers about the general repair of the operating systems on a boat.
3. Do not sail on a boat that is not completely serviceable in part for all.
4. Even with a written contract, do not trust the owner to fulfill their end of the bargain. When in doubt, be prepared to leave the boat.
5. Do not set off on a long ocean passage without weather data and comprehensive paper and electronic charts.

Finally, it must be said that I felt that the sail was a risky endeavor and did not admit this to the other crew even with some 24,000+nms of my own ocean experience because I wanted to believe the owner’s PR about his own experience and years at sea. For that I must live with the error in judgement. I wish to impart here that crew and especially volunteer crew should ask the tough questions and not be swayed by an owners casual assurances that everything is fine on board. Do Ask:

1. When was the boat last hauled and the thru-hulls inspected?
2. When were the sails last inspected by a professional sail maker?
3. When was the standing and running rigging last inspected by a professional rigger?
4. When was the EPIRB last certified?
5. What navigation and communication electronics are on board and operable?
6. Is there a fully operable and gimbaled stove and oven?
7. Is the dinghy and outboard fully operational?
8. When was the engine last overhauled and inspected by a marine mechanic? Impeller replaced?, Filters and strainer cleaned?
9. When was the shaft seal last inspected? Leaking at what rate?
10. Are all of the bilge pumps fully operational? What secondary provision is there for hand pumping and plugging failed thru-hulls?
11. Are all of the navigation lights operational?
12. Are safety (jack) lines installed?
13. When was the last USCG safety inspection?
14. Are there any above or below deck leaks? This is a yes or no answer but the answer will tell you everything.
15. Do the refrigerator and ice box work and drain properly?
16. Does the water maker operate well? This too is a yes or no answer.
17. Is the generator fully operational? If none, what is the alternative for power generation?
18. What maintenance needs to be done before an extended ocean passage? This is not a yes or no answer.
19. When were the batteries last inspected and how old are they?

There are many more questions of course but those will come easily to mind. The above must be fully operational or alternatives fully understood by all crew.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew Safety

Ahhh Deliveries... gotta luv em...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-03-2015, 15:22   #3

Boat: Not mine, just crew.
Re: Crew Safety

Sorry for the misfortune of all involved. I crewed on a leaky boat with an owner that boasted big yet his actions proved small in both sailing skill and moral values. Later I corresponded with a few other ladies here gave me some very sound advise;
Always have a plan B and cash or travelers check to retreat.
Yellow flags on shore turn into red flags at sea.

A big thank you to that lady, her advise has served me well on land and sea too. I was new to off shore sailing and felt honored to be considered as crew! Ahh, newbies!!
Old 11-03-2015, 13:57   #4

Excellent writeup. Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience, but glad that you contributed what you learned to help others in the future.
Old 11-03-2015, 15:37   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

No doubt you will not name this person even though this is the second occasion he has put forum people at lifes risk.

Nor will you name him whilst he is about to advertise for more forum people to go on the next leg.

Why not?

Gutless?

Or you wish others to go through what you went through?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 11-03-2015, 18:36   #6

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No doubt you will not name this person even though this is the second occasion he has put forum people at lifes risk.
A little snooping around finds a 'crew wanted' ad
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...as-138104.html
and a boat owner's blog
http://www.hekowisailing.com/
with photos and details that seem to match the OP's account
Old 11-03-2015, 18:42   #7

Boat: csy 37

I'm surprised you guys even left the original port on that boat. I would have gone home after it became apparent the boat was no where near ready; and his promise that things would get better in the next port would be the biggest alarm bell of all.
I had a similar experience but with one big exception; the owner realized after a few days that the boat could not make the trip any time soon and got me home at his expense.
Old 11-03-2015, 18:50   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

When I was doing deliveries, I had my own checklist of things to look for on a boat. If there were any unchecked boxes, I wouldnt leave port!

That doesnt prevent breakages, but does give some solace.
Old 12-03-2015, 00:09   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Please repeat after me, "The two most dangerous things you can do as a sailor are to take on unknown crew OR AN UNKNOWN SKIPPER!"

3. Do not sail on a boat that is not completely serviceable in part for all.
4. Even with a written contract, do not trust the owner to fulfill their end of the bargain. When in doubt, be prepared to leave the boat.
5. Do not set off on a long ocean passage without weather data and comprehensive paper and electronic charts. Do not sail on a boat that is not completely serviceable in part for all.

Do understand these 3 points!
Old 12-03-2015, 15:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew Safety

No way would I do number 4 Ann.. else I'd be turned over on every trip.
I am a lot more stable now I've my small pension coming in for the last few months.. but at the time of my Oz trip, deliveries were my only income.. if I'd left the boat in the Pacific when the owners showed their true colours I'da been stuffed.
Getting the boat to Oz was what turned things round.. folk that 'knew' me through this site finding me a lawyer.. and being given a job that paid my flight back
home to Portugal and change to keep going till the next one..
Sometimes folk have no option buy to stay on..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-03-2015, 15:45   #11

From looking at the cited blog it is clear that the boat is at best a candidate for a donation and a huge DIY project. Or at worst a scrap yard. And if I can see it just from the pics online how come OP did not see it when he arrived in person? Better file it under "I want to sail ofshore so badly that I'll overrule all my gut instincts".
Old 12-03-2015, 16:45   #12

Boat: In between boat ownership

Regrettably, there is ample fault to go all the way round in making the decision to proceed, notwithstanding the owner's own personal mission. It is entirely possible that he does not yet understand his part in this experience or take any responsibility for it. Therefore, I feel that warning others is my best course. If someone asks me point blank face to face, then I will spill the beans but not publicly and risk an extended "he said they said" episode that may resolve absolutely nothing. The owner clearly does not, and did not, fully appreciate the extent of disrepair that became very obvious by the day. How do you help someone in that regard. Yes, I am plagued by a feeling that I should alert everyone with the names, and details but it seems that one smart observer has already found that information without too much effort. Be warned!
Old 12-03-2015, 17:40   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Do your fellow crew members agree with your opinion? If so, then all of you should agree to name the offending vessel and owner publically...you could literally save someones life.
Old 12-03-2015, 18:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Do your fellow crew members agree with your opinion? If so, then all of you should agree to name the offending vessel and owner publically...you could literally save someones life.
IMO, that decision, i.e. to go or not, should be up to the potential crew themselves, assuming they're rational adults. But at least such outing will save them $$ and aggravation of travelling only to turn around after a closer inspection of the vessel in question.
Old 12-03-2015, 19:46   #15

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
A little snooping around finds a 'crew wanted' ad
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...as-138104.html
and a boat owner's blog
http://www.hekowisailing.com/
with photos and details that seem to match the OP's account

Well...at least the "Top gear" of the windlass was in good shape, lol.

One look at the aft end of the engine and the condition of the bilge area around it would have been enough for me to decide that this was a no-go situation.

Tags
crew, safety