Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 07:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
crew- NOT NEEDED

Had a guy approach me a couple days ago wanting to crew aboard our boat on our next venture... Couldn't get it throu his head that we never used anyone and its just the wife and myself.. and he kind got on my nerves going on about how "unsafe" we were about going out by ourselves..
And I've seen lately the posts from people looking to crew. But over the last 10 years of travel , we've only meet one elder couple looking for crew.
So the question is,
How many people actually , activity, cruising, use crew outside their spouce or family members?
Old 26-01-2013, 13:36   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Re: crew- NOT NEEDED

If your on a longer passage, trans-ocean, or just heading to the VI's via I-65, a four on four off watch schedule gets old pretty quick.

Also, with just two aboard, if one gets sick or injured it leaves the remaining member to care for the stricken crew as well as the boat.

I've done it, but I choose to not sail long double-handed passages.
Old 26-01-2013, 14:18   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Randy,

Going back to our first blue water passage (SF_hawaii_SF) in 1983, and all the ~150,000 miles since then: no crew, just Ann and I.

Will we continue this as we become more decrepit? Dunno... have to see how things work out, but an additional hand is one option... but we sure don't look forward to that scenario!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-01-2013, 14:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i allways work on the premise "the more,the merrier" especially if they are contibuting to the costs.
with 4 or more onboard i don't stand a watch,instead do all the cooking and stay on standby 24/7 so if sail changes or traffic there are allways 2 on deck.
works great with novice crew,and everybody gets a decent sleep
Old 26-01-2013, 16:05   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I sometimes hire crew to support me in sailing bigger craft. I never hire dock walkers nor strangers. I pay for the job done and expect the job do get done well. This far, no bad experiences.

Other than that, never took crew, never needed nor ever wanted extra crew on my own boat. She is 26', anyways.

b.
Old 26-01-2013, 17:33   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulJack

I offered to crew for a guy I met in the Bahamas at the end of another crew gig who was cruising around solo in a fountaine pajot 46, figured he could use the help.

turned out he was crazy and I was lucky to escape with my life!

I met a guy on this website and crewed on his 26footer for a month and a half on a cruise and had a great time. None of his buddies had the cash, time or lifestyle to cruise with him so he looked elsewhere. we had a great time.

Met some guys in La Paz who were a the end of the Baja Ha ha and about to cross the Sea of Cortez, I had never sailed but they took me on, again, we had a great time and I learned to sail (well, a little)

I agree with Atoll that if you enjoy meeting new and interesting people, want to keep costs down and make parts of your cruise more cruisey, cew is for you. It also helps people like me who are still dreaming of a boat get out there and travel the world for a reasonable price.

PJ
Old 26-01-2013, 18:38   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ugmo2000 wrote, "a four on four off watch schedule gets old pretty quick." Well, Ugmo, that's just one of many options. Jim and I mostly do 6 on 6 off. It works well for us as it gives each of us a longish nighttime sleep. On a long passage, or even any passage over 3 days, it is quite sustainable, with the possibility of a nap during the daytime. We know lots of people who use a similar schedule, and lots who do 3 on 3 off. The important consideration, IMO, is that crew are rested and able to perform, even if the crew is just you and your partner.

In the past, we've never taken on crew, although have sailed with friends aboard on cruising holidays. We have avoided the responsibility for another person. It would be better if one knew the person in advance, for sure. I wonder why the stranger was trying so hard to manipulate the OP? That seems way weird to me. To me, taking on unknown crew carries potential liabilities, both emotional and physical. YMMV

Finally, if money changes hands, and you're not a licensed skipper, legal liability issues might arise, as well as insurance issues. Something to research before you take on crew, in today's litigious world.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Sandy Bay, TAS
Old 26-01-2013, 18:50   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Since the kids have grown and gone on with there lives ashore Connie and I have done it alone! over 18 yrs alone. Never felt the need of a extra crew member. With our new to us boat we will have some friends help us for the first few trips ! Not because we don't think we can handle her, but with some extra help ya have a chance to try some things out that are different with a new to us rig ! that ya might have a little trouble with the first time around !( theres a bunch of stuff we have never had !!LOL) But after the shakedown trips we will be back to going it alone except when the family comes along !! Just our way !
Old 26-01-2013, 19:00   #9

Boat: too many

Bob,

Did I miss something? You have another boat?
Old 26-01-2013, 20:02   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

same one ! we are still makeing things right before we take her out and home.
Old 26-01-2013, 20:54   #11

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ugmo2000 wrote, "a four on four off watch schedule gets old pretty quick." Well, Ugmo, that's just one of many options. Jim and I mostly do 6 on 6 off. It works well for us as it gives each of us a longish nighttime sleep. On a long passage, or even any passage over 3 days, it is quite sustainable, with the possibility of a nap during the daytime. We know lots of people who use a similar schedule, and lots who do 3 on 3 off. The important consideration, IMO, is that crew are rested and able to perform, even if the crew is just you and your partner.

In the past, we've never taken on crew, although have sailed with friends aboard on cruising holidays. We have avoided the responsibility for another person. It would be better if one knew the person in advance, for sure. I wonder why the stranger was trying so hard to manipulate the OP? That seems way weird to me. To me, taking on unknown crew carries potential liabilities, both emotional and physical. YMMV

Finally, if money changes hands, and you're not a licensed skipper, legal liability issues might arise, as well as insurance issues. Something to research before you take on crew, in today's litigious world.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Sandy Bay, TAS
I agree totally, Mona and I have always felt that our boat is our home we are very unlikely to share our home with anyone except for a brief period of.time.
As for pulling watch, we've never been very formal about who does what and when.
If she's behind the wheel when meal time rolls around, I do the galley thing, and same for her.
The only time we actually have a set regiment of any kind is in the wee hours of the morning, as Mona has a hard time staying awake and I love the time at watch, but once the sun rises I start to get sleeply. But most of.the time we are pretty lax.
Old 27-01-2013, 04:27   #12

Following advice of foolishsailor, we've hired crew to help us with trans-ocean as I am occupied full time with a 6-month old baby. That said, we've chosen to pay crew and have a contract with penalties setup, similar to barnakiel's post above.
Old 27-01-2013, 09:04   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have never had crew but was looking for someone for the last passage cos it was gunna be a difficult one upwind and up current.
Couldnt find the right sort of person so did it myself. I wouldn't really have expected someone to love that trip. It was a bit of hard work. Lol.

My boat is my home and I don't want unknown people in my home. Especially as a single hander. I would never have a male just for the thing of ose 4 different incidents when're the owner has been murdered, 2 in the Carribbean about 2 years ago, one in the Pacific 4 years ago and one in the Seychelles last year.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 28-01-2013, 20:18   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, everyone,

It really seems to hinge on the question "if they're unknown to you how can you make it safe and tolerable?" And it cuts both ways, actually, prospective crew need to be very careful selecting skippers, as well. We've encountered horror stories in both directions.

Of course, having friends aboard is a totally different deal, and can be heaps of fun.

Ann Cate, us yacht Insatiable II, lying Hobart, TAS
Old 05-02-2013, 22:55   #15

All passages with my own boats were just the 2 of us and the all important windvane. Most of my coastal deliveries were with just myself and 1 crew. Almost always someone I knew. My long ocean deliveries , I always took a third crew, since none of the boats had windvanes. Being a slave to the helm with 2 people is just brutal. Auto pilots proved to be less than reliable, and the current drain was a problem. If I were outfitting a cruising boat on a limited budget, I would opt for a windvane first and maybe spend extra money on an auto pilot, but I would put money into real good ground tackle before either of the other two. As you can tell, I prefer not to have crew other than the sig. other. Just my 2 cents worth.____Grant.