Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 06:13   #1

Couple Wants You to Home-School Their Kids, Night-Watch . . . and Share Expenses

https://www.crewseekers.net/sailingopp.aspx?bref=6689

Round the World cruise
Reference: CS-6689-AD

Boat Details: Nordia Van Dam 68 Ketch
Destination: Around the world trip
Availability: 17 Feb 2011 onward
Crew Requirements: We are a family sailing round the world, and we are looking to bring 1 maybe 2 crew to help out with watches and home schooling. The position would suit a teacher with sailing experience seeking a career break
Financial Arrangement: Shared Contribution
Travel Expenses: Paid by Crew
Date Posted / Updated: 16/12/2010

GordMay, may I use this emoticon: ?
Old 20-12-2010, 09:13   #2

NOTE: I'm not the author of this ad!

If I expected someone to do night watches and assist in my offspring's education, I would at least pay their transport, food, necessary visas/fees, and ideally basic health insurance. Even then, it would be borderline exploitive.

Maybe this family has some kind of extenuating circumstances which justify their terms.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:00   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i tellye--if i had to mind /mined someone elses kids, there is not enough money in this world to pay me. cruising for me is not raising soemone elses kids.. get real and pay someone. or find foster care if ye cannot raise em yerself-- good luck finding a teacher who WANTS to teach after retiring. \
i am an rn, and i no longer work. if someone wanted me to pay my way to raise their kids, there would be no freeking way to have me anywhere near that boat--even if were the best boat in life. sorry honey-- might wanna re think your pay scale for raising someone else's kids. AND night watch-- get real. AND ye cant cuss..AND ye cant get away from kids to sleep-- when is this kid raiser and watch taker and general paying slave supposed to sleep????.. yipes...not an option.
question to original poster-- would YOU go for the"deal" you offer?? never seek that for which you will not be willing to do.
please re-title your ad--'BOAT SLAVE/NANNY DESIRED FOR OUR OWN NEEDS....."
Old 20-12-2010, 10:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
question to original poster-- would YOU go for the"deal" you offer?? never seek that for which you will not be willing to do.
please re-title your ad--'BOAT SLAVE/NANNY DESIRED FOR OUR OWN NEEDS....."
Sadly (?), I don't think they're on cf. The ad is on crewseekers.net.

Interestingly (?), I received several responses by people who thought it was my ad. Not sure what to make of that. On paper, they seem like top-notch candidates.

Now if the sproggers who placed the ad were supplying the boat with the kids on it and the assignment was to assemble a team and circumnavigate, while keeping the kids safe and advancing their education, all expenses paid? Given the right skipper, that's something I could work with. I have zero desire to own a boat, but the challenge of a circumnavigation appeals. And the presence of little mast monkeys would keep things from getting weird.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393
Don't see what the big deal is. I didn't read into their ad that they want anyone to take over raising their children, or that they expected them to spend all day taking care of their kids after a night watch. That was assumed by other posters. You could equally (and possibly more accurately) assume that by helping with home-schooling the additional crew would only be asked to stand day watches.

Most career teachers teach because they have a passion for it (we all know they are not in it for the money). My mother is a retired teacher, and she substitutes almost every chance she gets. Combine that type of person with someone who enjoys sailing/seeing the world but doesn't currently have the means (boat) and it would be a perfect fit.

In a nutshell: To each their own!

Frank
Old 20-12-2010, 10:36   #6

what i take offense at and with is the fact that there is NO time allotted for sleeping for the boat slave. NIGHT watches preclude having any kind of ability to have a life in port. teaching SOMEONE ELSES KIDS while in THEIR home-- no thankyou.
is a 24-7 job for no pay. NONE. YOU pay THEM for this....not cool at all. not even an altruistic big hearted teaching type is gonna do this.
as much as i loved what i did for a living for 30+ yrs, i would NOT go for conditions such as were described in th ad. this ad that was provided is an excellent example of enslavement with the slave paying the boats way. not cool at all. how is the slave spozed to keep their own lives?? aint no way. maybe someone with NO life, NO home and NO income-- but then how will they (slave) be able to PAY for passage?? i think the local crackhead may be interested..or homeless soul.... but......
Old 20-12-2010, 10:42   #7

Point taken, Frank. You're absolutely right. It's quite possible that each crew will have her/his own cabin and each day work either an academic shift or a watch. In any case, it's a free market.

The bit that set me off was Financial Arrangement: Shared Contribution. That against the background of how several relatively privileged families I know treat household staff and childcare employees ...
Old 20-12-2010, 10:53   #8

1. But the night watches are the best!!
2. I would be glad to "share" their contribution
3. It is a circumnavigation.....till mom or dad or one of the munchkins gets seasick, then back to shore and hire a crew to deliver the boat...
Old 20-12-2010, 10:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
1. But the night watches are the best!!
Now we have a problem -- that's the shift I want!
Old 20-12-2010, 10:58   #10

or when the mommy decides your teaching isnt up to their stahndahdz...LOL...then ye are put out in wheretfville.... .have a goood trip. i am not into slavery wherein the slave pays for boat and doesnt receive any compensation for no sleep and having to deal with the kids as a nanny. nannies are paid. not enslaved. raising someone elses kids on a small thing in midocean and brat says--waahhhh--- mommy-- X hit me...even without it being true. i can see it now...... have fun. waaay too many complications involved with raising someone else's kids during a cruise without any pay or compensation?? why cant mommy teach the kids?? or would she rather complain the kids dont know or do what they should because of someone else?? not a patsy, ty.
and how long do you think slave will be able to maintain privacy until kids--YOUR responsibility--come bothering you so NO SLEEPING is possible??
lol-- goood luck.
Old 20-12-2010, 11:51   #11

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
What was the point?

aegean adrift -- what was the point in reposting that ad from Crew Seekers? Was it to help the people find crew? Or was it just as a springboard for discussing the concept of asking someone to share contributions in exchange for being crew / helping homeschool kids? Just curious.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Old 20-12-2010, 12:07   #12

Triton318 -- the latter. There had been a thread mentioning people who take on "crew" as nannies, and I'd intended to just re-post the ad there, but found it had been archived. Really I don't believe that they intend someone to school their kids all day then stand watch all night; still, it seems like a grey area worth discussing.

Certainly, I'm not questioning anyone's choice to homeschool or to engage non-parent support in doing so.

As it happens, I let those who sent me their CVs know how to find the OP, so it seems my poorly presented post is if anything helping them find crew.
Old 20-12-2010, 12:34   #13

i hope they do fi8nd their boat slave.nanny/paycheck---- willbe interesting to try to follow their progress and turnovers of "help"
Old 20-12-2010, 12:42   #14

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Well I'll have to say it is a voluntary position. If your not interested, don't do it. Of course home schooling some one else's kids isn't for everyone, or even for anyone with some kids. Still ifyour kids are grown up and you still want the feel of a family life, but don't have grandkids yet. I could see it. It would be easier if your expenses, (room and board), were paid while on the boat. But if the family with the kids and the boat were on a budget, I can see where they may not want to make an open ended promise to pay. I'm sure for a good fit anything is negotiable.
Old 20-12-2010, 12:58   #15

Boat: s/v PAMALO
I'm certain there are 100's of people willing to round the globe for a small token price for expenses. Me being one of them. One could also say finding a good boat/crew to crew with is the hard part.

It is a privilege to be on a yacht cruising the world. Anyone expecting to be paid ought to have at least a PhD and be a former Americas Cup tactician / trimmer.

Tags
school