This is a full-time position. The Chef/Deckhand provisions for the group’s food
on the vessel, sustains a sanitary galley
, prepares and serves appealing meals
in a timely manner, performs maintenance
chores, assists in departure and arrival of the boat
, handles money
for the food
, oversees housekeeping, and operates small boats if necessary to assure the efficient operation of the Coral Reef II
in accordance with the Shedd Aquarium’s goals.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate commitment to Shedd's vision, mission, and values.
- Plan meals for participants and crew aboard the vessel.
- Manage meal budget for all meal expenses.
- Purchase and pack and store food for the meals that will be prepared on the vessel.
- Provide food on the vessel for the groups that are on board.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary galley for the preparation of meals.
- Prepare and serve meals in an appealing and timely manner.
- Record, handle and account for money spent for food supplies including billing and collecting.
- Assist in the safe departure and arrival of the vessel.
- Perform maintenance on the vessel when in port under the supervision of the Captain.
- Oversee the housekeeping (cleaning staff) and laundry (deliver and pick up) needs for the vessel.
- Operate small boats as necessary.
- Owns and maintain a vehicle capable of carrying out shopping needs and other job related errands.Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree from a culinary school or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in professionally cooking and planning meals for groups. (Preferably on large seagoing vessels)
- Experience as a deckhand, handling boat lines and operating small boats
- Customer service or hospitality industry experience.
- Able to effectively and professionally send and receive communications to trip leaders and to passenger inquiries.
- Climb up and down vertical ladders and stairways
- Step over high door sills and coamings and move through restricted accesses
- Manipulate mechanical devices using manual and digital dexterity, and strength
- Crouch, kneel and stoop
- Use hand tools such as spanners, valve wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, pliers
- Long hours in isolated settings
- Living with a small community of people 24/7
- Sharing a room with co-captain
TO APPLY: Chef/Deckhand - Shedd Aquarium