Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 15:14   #1

Boat: Custom 55
Chesapeake to Bermuda/maybe BVI

Hi,

We're considering bringing a third person along with us to Bermuda, possibly on to the BVI's if all's going well. Departure will be first good WX window after about 11/8/15. It can be a rough trip, and a qualified person might find a spot with us. A little sharing of the work load at that time of year would be welcome, if not necessary.

The boat is a custom high performance 55' cutter. She is well proven, and is being actively cruised. Everything aboard is up to the job of offshore work. Sails new in '13, rigging in '15. Good electronics, engine under 3k hours and looked after. We just arrived Chesapeake bay last week after sailing to Newfoundland this summer. We have mostly doublehanded around from California over the last couple of years.

The crew is very experienced, I have a 1600 ton license, have been a professional mariner for 25 years, and have also logged about 45,000 miles sailing. Wife has lived on board with me since '06, around 15,000 offshore miles.

We also have a dog. You've gotta like dogs.

We run a completely dry boat. No alcohol or smoking on board at any time. We're not puritans, but we do run a tight ship. No druggies, obviously.

So, here's what we're looking for:

1. A person who is able to take a watch on a boat which is actively sailed on their own. I don't expect solo spinnaker sets or even reefing alone, but you do need to be able to competently sail a big boat unassisted in moderate weather.

2. You need to be able to properly maintain a lookout, using visual/radar/ais to assess risk of collision and take appropriate action (which might just mean waking me up, and that's fine too)

3. We would prefer a younger person (say 20's or 30's) for this trip. We've had folks join us from their 20's into their 70's, and we have had better luck with the youngsters. No offense to the older members here is meant by this.

I'm sorry, but we won't consider novices.

We realize that we are looking for someone who is on the verge of being a pro, so in consideration of that, we will ask for no sharing of expenses. I might consider providing a return ticket from the islands as well, if that's needed.

We will need to meet whoever we select prior to departure. We'll need to get to know each other, go for a sail, and make sure we look like we'll be compatible. We run a pretty quiet, professional operation underway, so we are looking for this kind of an approach from our crew.

We're a bit on the fence about taking anyone, but if you feel that you fit our needs and would like the opportunity to get some sea miles in, let's talk about it.

PM me and I'll get back to you.

Thanks, TJ

Tags
Bermuda