Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 09:29   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII, 2004
Charleston, New York, Azores & the Med

Hi,
At the beginning of April I'll be heading north from Charleston. My destination is the Med. I have a 2004 Catalina 42 that has been upgraded for blue water cruising. I am looking for someone interested in doing the trip with me from start to finish. I intent to spend a week or two in & around NY then through the East River to Long Island Sound, onto Newport, Rhode Island, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket Islands before the 1800nm haul to the Azores. If the Azores are enjoyable & the weather is good, I'd like to stay a couple of weeks before the final leg to the Med.
I'm Australian, 56 & a woman.
If you have some good skills, fun to be around, responsible & would like the adventure, then I'd like to hear from you.
Thanks
Trish
Old 29-01-2013, 09:42   #2

Re: Charleston, New York, Azores & the Med

Hi Trish
I am recently retired and thinking of buying a sail boat. I have chartered them about a dozen times and love it. I plan on living aboard. But since I am still green at this I am looking to gain experiance.
I would be interested in finding out more about this.
I am new to this site. I just got on here an hour ago.
You can e me at totimot@gmail.com
Old 29-01-2013, 10:10   #3

Trish,

I am possibly interested in this trip. Right now I am crewing on a boat on the way up the west cost of Central America ending in La paz, Mexico, end of march. I would like to discuss the details with you.
I am from the US (california), 47 & a man.
Please email me at DGS1966 at ya hoo dot com
|Lokking forward to hearing from you.
David
Old 29-01-2013, 19:31   #4

I am very interested!! please email me steviewonder21@msn.com
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19   #5

Not sure you gotr my message. I am very interested. I am not interested in anything other then sailing. I am fit and can handled your boat. I am experianced.
Please respond jabaldo@hotmail.com I am having problems with my browser
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18   #6

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar

I know Trish and she has a great boat
Old 03-02-2013, 18:16   #7

Hi Trish, I am a 54 y, widower, non smoker. Reasonably fit. Hiked up Mount Kilimanjaro with my kids three years ago. Taking some time off from my practice. Sailed the Bahamas, crossed the Caribbean, Panama canal to Galapagos and back about twenty years ago. Has owned sail boats in Chesapeake bay since then. Expanse is not an issue. Will be able to crew as feasible. If interested please contact me at hassanamb@yahoo.com
Looking forward to hear from you, if not wish you fair winds.
With best regards,
Syed
Old 04-02-2013, 19:48   #8

Hi Trish,

I am a 21 yr old male currently living in NY. Although I'm fairly new to sailing, I have done an ocean passage. I am very interested in joining you on your adventure and would like the opportunity to further discuss the details of your trip.

You may email me at mat1230@live.com
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27   #9

TRISH Hello, I do not speak English, but communicate well in English and Spanish, my name in Skype Grekin. Born in Brianza in December 48 (64anni)
I am a sports person always ski trekking diving and sailing.
I started with the experience of racing various tasks in 1980 (winter races of Tigullio Swan Rolex Cup in Porto Cervo, Giraglia, Portofino Capraia, and other events with Swan 38 and 39. Crossing the Atlantic and return (Guadalupe Azores Genoa Genoa) "Surama" 105 "yards Beconcini with navigation Antilles, Mediterranean Tuscan archipelago with" Hydra "Gozzo sail yards Pexino, Corsica with Swan 38, Swan 39 Sardinia, Egadi with rental Doufour 325, Turkey Marmaris Rhodes Racer" W blue ribbon "Marseille Galite Tunis Malta Greece Oyster 53. Côte d'Azur with Comet 850.
All embarks on a par with the exception of Board and Lodging Surama where I had a salary.
Even in 2013 I think I have a chance of boarding always with the owner of the Oyster, I seek new experiences anyway.
I discreet manual for minor maintenance, cooking unpretentious and communicate with French and Spanish.
Do not smoke.
Hoping to do Thy knowledge
I greet you cordially
Luigi mail: luigitrabattoni@alice.it[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 09-02-2013, 09:44   #10

Hi Trish.

Wow. Seems there's no shortage of responses! The competition looks pretty steep, but I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as well.

I'm male, 28, and American. I've just taken ASA's 101 keelboat certification, but I have very little time logged, just a couple day trips. I'm looking to join a longer trip to help build my skills. If you think you have room, I'd love to join, even if you could only use me for part of the trip.

A couple years back I canoed the entire Mississippi River. I'm not sure if that speaks to any abilities I might have, but hopefully it's at least interesting?

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know!
Old 09-02-2013, 15:26   #11

HI Itinerant Tom
Thank you for replying to my need for crew. Yes you are right, I've had plenty of response & in part have settled on crew. With that said, personal circumstances can really get in the way despite our best efforts & what I may feel I have organised & nailed down, can change in a heartbeat.
The think with sailing is this; everyone has a first day. What really separates those that go on to be good as crew & sailors are those who are intelligent, observant, quick learners, responsible & respectful of the boat & her gear. Everything else can be taught. The qualities I mentioned, cannot.
So here we are, I have crew but am more than aware that it can easily change. Why don't you tell me a lot more about yourself & we'll keep talking & we'll see where it takes us.

Look forward to continue chatting with you
Thanks
Trish
Old 09-02-2013, 21:58   #12

Hi Trish:

I am a relatively new sailor but building up miles every chance I can get. Heading to Panama in March to transit the canal. Looking for any opportunity I can to get more miles in.

I am a 54yo male. Non smoker, fit (ran a marathon last year), great cook, certified in First Aid, CPR, ACLS etc. Great sense of humor, low maintenance regular kind of guy who likes adventure (excuse me if that is a paradox).

I see that you have had many posts on this and that you may have a crew as well. What I will offer you is that I live in the Atlantic City/New York City area and can assist as crew if the sudden need comes up for crew when you are within a 4 hour drive of that area.

Not sure what else to say or offer you. This is my first post to this forum.

Best,

Buck

email address is burittoman at 'Com' castdotnet
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44   #13

Hi Buck

Thank you for replying to by need for crew.
I read you email last night & again this morning but remain unsure about what you are offering.
I have managed to find crew but that as we know can fall apart easily due to unforeseen circumstances.
The crew I am interested in need to be on the boat for the entire trip. The leg to NY, then the Azores & then the Med.
If that's what you had in mind, I'd like to know more about you & we can take it from there.
Your contribution to food cost & basic boat expenses is US $200 & it's not negotiable.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Trish
Old 10-02-2013, 08:56   #14

Hi Syed
I know this may seem rude, but quite honestly I can't remember if I replied to you enquiry regarding crewing. If I didn't I apologise, if I did & you are not interested, that's fine, just let me know either way.
Thanks
Trish
Old 10-02-2013, 21:46   #15

Hi Trish,

Thanks for being so open about crew experience! I really want to learn, and I appreciate folks being understanding. I'm looking for other sailing opportunities between now and then too, so if we do meet up, hopefully I won't be as green as I am now.

Recently, I've been spending half the year in New York City working for an exchange student organization, specifically on a government-funded critical languages scholarship. I love the city and am always happy to come back every year. The other half of the year, I try to stretch my budget while doing as much travel as possible. That's how I managed to get some time to canoe the Mississippi River and hike 800 km in northern Scandinavia. In recent years I've been in Egypt for their elections, farmed in Oregon, and volunteered at a sled dog kennel in Norway.

I'm vegetarian. I'm a big reader. I like learning new skills, and I like meeting new people.

However things pan out, I hope you have a great trip! Thanks for considering me.

Tags
Azores