Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37   #16

Re: Charleston, New York, Azores & the Med

Hi Trish,
Looks like you have plenty of candidates but with boats and crew you never know for sure.... I'm an early retiree with 20 years + of sailing and racing experience, most of it on the Chesapeake but with racing and charter experience in Bay of Islands and Marlborough Sounds and in Auckland as well as a TP52 transport Newport to Annapolis.
I sail regularly on a Catalina30 out of Solomons, MD and think you have a great boat for the trip with the 42.
Personalities are as important as skill and resources. I'd be interested in starting in Charleston, but it would be very easy to get on in Annapolis. I know the C&D and Delaware Bay and the NYC area. Should we get there together I can offer laundry and support in Manhattan and Manhasset Long Island.
Depending on your needs and schedule I might have one additional crew for all or part of the journey. I hope to hear back from you. At yahoo I'm annapolis.sailor2
Sounds like a great trip. Safe journey with good companions, whoever you go with.
Regards,
John
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06   #17

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapolis.sail View Post
Hi Trish,
Looks like you have plenty of candidates but with boats and crew you never know for sure.... I'm an early retiree with 20 years + of sailing and racing experience, most of it on the Chesapeake but with racing and charter experience in Bay of Islands and Marlborough Sounds and in Auckland as well as a TP52 transport Newport to Annapolis.
I sail regularly on a Catalina30 out of Solomons, MD and think you have a great boat for the trip with the 42.
Personalities are as important as skill and resources. I'd be interested in starting in Charleston, but it would be very easy to get on in Annapolis. I know the C&D and Delaware Bay and the NYC area. Should we get there together I can offer laundry and support in Manhattan and Manhasset Long Island.
Depending on your needs and schedule I might have one additional crew for all or part of the journey. I hope to hear back from you. At yahoo I'm annapolis.sailor2
Sounds like a great trip. Safe journey with good companions, whoever you go with.
Regards,
John
Hi John

Thank you for contacting me regarding my planned passage to the Med via New York. Yes I have had plenty of interest & have in part decided on crew. With that said, personal circumstances can change without warning & through no fault.
I bought my beautiful boat in Annapolis & know the Chesapeake & (it's crap pots) well.
I am looking for crew to who can be on board for the entire trip, not just bits & pieces of it.
I take it you now live in or around New York, of you are offering laundry services.
I've not sailed in New Zealand but understand it's very beautiful with the Bay of Island in particular. Auckland is a huge boat owning city.
Sailing on Chesapeake isn't the same as water sailing">blue water sailing & whilst the conditions can whip up in there pretty quickly, out in the ocean can & is very different. Often easier as well as often, more challenging.
I certainly would benefit from local knowledge around New York but I've been to a stack of harbours just the once that I sure are far less well marked than NY, Long Island etc., so I'm not overly fazed by it.
Crew contribute to food & very minor boat costs to the tune of US$200 per week. This doesn't cover visa costs or alcohol.
Let me know if you remain interested & thanks once again.
Trish
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05   #18

Boat: Pearson 36-2

Good morning Trish,
I found it ironic reading your ad as I was looking to see if I could pull some crew from this sight for my summer trip. The ironic part is that I am taking my boat from Annapolis up to Long Island sound, leave it there and fly back and forth during the summer. I have raced the route several times and done many other offshore races but only as a watch captain and not on my boat. I saw your ad ( this is my first post) and thought your trip sounds like fun too. Not sure whether I would change my plans and go with you but we all must keep an open mind and be flexible when cruising. I figured we could at least learn from each other and I could offer you a free slip and a car when you are in the Chesapeake. I am 49 and have had sailboats since I was 12, sole 90 % retired and free to travel whenever for as long as I want! I hope to learn more about your trip, Tom
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07   #19

Hello Trish, I live in Bluffton, SC and will be going to Texas all of March and Colorado all of June and maybe Italy all of May but after the month of May I have 5 years to sail around the world.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sailor View Post
Hello Trish, I live in Bluffton, SC and will be going to Texas all of March and Colorado all of June and maybe Italy all of May but after the month of May I have 5 years to sail around the world.
Hi Silver Sailor

It sounds like you have an interesting life.
Thank you for replying to my call for crew but I think your timing may not match mine.
I will be heading out from Charleston at the beginning of May & hope to have all my crew on board by then .
Thanks & best of luck
Trish
Old 12-02-2013, 12:29   #21

Live in Bluffton, SC and would be able to drive up and introduce myself pretty much anytime my cycling season is pretty much over late June then I have no restrictions for quite some time.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sailor View Post
Live in Bluffton, SC and would be able to drive up and introduce myself pretty much anytime my cycling season is pretty much over late June then I have no restrictions for quite some time.
Hi Silver Sailor
I thought I mentioned that I would be leaving here at the beginning of May, June is just too late.
Thanks all the same
Trish
Old 12-02-2013, 18:23   #23

I sent you a PM on this post, hoping your received it.

Best,

Buck
Old 12-02-2013, 19:11   #24

Hi Buck

I thought I'd responded to you but maybe it got lost.
My email address is: trishaffleck@optusnet.com.au
Try contacting me through this.

Thanks
Trish
Old 13-02-2013, 07:35   #25

If you are running short handed along the way, contact me after June. How long are you planning to stay out there? Mac......843-368-1146.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:50   #26

Hi Silver Sailor
Will do & thanks
Trish
Old 26-02-2013, 02:25   #27

Sounds like a great trip. I am currently living in the eastern med. Cyprus to be exact. If you plan on heading this far Id love to hear about it, maybe even take a trip back with you. Turkey and Greece have wonderful islands for exploring only a boat hop away!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39   #28

Hi Trish,
My name is Beth, 31, from Tacoma Washington. I've crewed on a few tall ships and have done a few five day voyages. I love the water, love adventure, very hard worker, and a fast learner. I'm not available for any sailing until the end of september because I will be working in Alaska for the summer.
Just wanted to give you my info just incase you might need crew in the future.
happy sailing!!!!!
Beth
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33   #29

Hi Trish!

My name is Benjamin, I am new on this website. I have been traveling for three years starting in Europe to get to Mexico. I am now looking for a way back to Europe. I don't want to take plane for ecological reason and would love to go back by boat as I came to America on a sailing boat as well.
I see that you have many people interested in joining your crew but I still want to let you know I am very interested too. The only thing is I am traveling with my wife and I was wondering if you could accept two people on board?
Thanks for considering me.
best wishes,
Ben
Old 07-03-2013, 08:12   #30

Trish,
Let me know when you are in Charleston, I will buzz up and introduce myself, unlike most people looking to crew I am willing contribute financially (food and fuel) for the experience. My problems are In May I have an opportunity to go to Italy where I have a friend living their. This is the same time as the "Giro de Italia" similar to the "Tour de France" but in Italy. Yes, I'm a cyclist. Then in June I will do "Ride the Rockies" in Colorado, then after that over to California and Washington to climb Mt. Shasta and Mt. Rainer. I'm retired with much to much time on my hands. Like I said in a previous post if you get in trouble I'll fly over and jump on board. First we should meet in Charleston. I just took a coarse with John Kretschmer John Kretschmer Sailing - Training Passages - Workshops - Presentations - Expeditions - Writing/Photography what a great guy, call or email him for a reference. Mac McJunkin 843-368-1146 hhicyclust@ gmail.com

Tags
Azores