Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2016, 06:35   #1

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 44
Caribbean to Pac NW

We're planning to leave from St. Martin the end of April and heading for the Panama canal. Vessel is a 43' Shuttleworth Advantage 44- We need two people. Both must have done at least one ocean passage at a minimum. I'm looking for someone mechanical - who can help if any problems arrive with engines (though I've just had a mechanic go through both) and I also need someone who is very skilled to advise me as I grow my skippering skills.

Trip itinerary is as follows: St. Martin to Bonaire to Panama. In Panama another crew is joining, but I will have one cabin still open for someone or a couple to continue. From Panama to Las Perlas to Marquesas to Hawaii to Oregon. Itinerary was planned consulting Jimmy Cornell passage guides for appropriate wind/current direction and weather timing.

The boat is very well equipped with safety items - including a brand new life raft, epirg, and jordan series drogue. We have refitted her with all brand new standing rigging, new sails, new battery bank, new autopilot (with old ready to stand in as back up). We are currently undergoing additional refitting as problems came to light bashing from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Martin. Repairs are moving quite quickly and I feel good about meeting the timing the work crew has set for us.

I anticipate that with the thorough examination she has undergone and testing thus far and downwind direction, the rest will be smooth sailing. We are also equipped with watermaker, 2 electric flush heads, and 4 cabins (two are filled, you will have your own berth.) We also have 3 BCD's and 4 tanks, but bring your own fins and mask.

Crew is politically liberal, easy going and enjoys having fun while keeping safety as the primary concern - this should be true of you as well. NONSMOKING boat, no alcohol while under passage (please do not say you are only a social drinker if you drink multiple alcoholic beverages every day - this is not welcome). My 11 year old daughter and her new kitten are also with us, so be comfortable with kids and the clutter they bring.

Food and cabin are included. You provide airfare, PFD with harness and 2 leg clip and your own beverages (coffee, tea, milk and powdered beverage are included - juices, beers etc are at your own expense). If you fit these parameters, message me and lets talk. Couples encouraged - and even a family with a child would be considered if you can meet the above parameters. Able to come now and help with crewing chores to prep the boat for departure is a plus... we are on the hard at a boatyard that allows live aboard.
Old 18-04-2016, 23:55   #2

Re: Caribbean to Pac NW

am a pensioner with great taste of the sea and so much time available. I spent most of life Among the ships having had a business selling and repairing electrical apparatus on board. My duties on board could be: 1st mate or cook. Languages: Italian German English and a little bit of Portuguese.Have no problems about time or distance.I participated in fishing research in canada europe and Indian Ocean with innovative systems.Have a driver's license without limits for sail and motor. log trip experience with motor boat, not much with sailboat,
Old 21-04-2016, 21:38   #3

FYI, Taunya is now considering the alternative more northerly route instead going via Bonaire. This looks better with the current wind patterns, and would give the opportunity to cruise the Bocas del Toro in Panama prior to the canal.

- Rusty (Taunya's partner and the boat owner)
Old 22-04-2016, 07:18   #4

There is no substitute for several days of shakedown to evaluate systems after significant repairs are done. My experience with old boats is that almost all refits require some fine tuning. Best wishes.
Old 27-04-2016, 20:50   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 44

Looks like we'll be heading more northerly - with a sea trial before we head to Panama. I have found one very experienced sailor to be our mentor on board, but still need another skilled set of hands to help out.

One cabin is open til Oregon, but not sure how far the mentor is wanting to go... it may mean this opportunity is just to Panama. But we'll be going to Bocas Del Toro, so if you're wanting to sail this will be a great fun downwind trip!

Expecting to splash on the 6th.

Tags
Caribbean, rib