Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 17:12   #1

Caribbean passage

Ahoy Sailors!
lm looking for an agile sailor with cruising skills. The boat destination is Grenada, you would be required to go as far as St Thomas or further depending on how it's all working out. My goal is to get to Grenada by the end of May before hurricane season with stops along the way, depending on weather and time. Departure from Isla Mujeres, Mexico around end of March.
My boat is well maintained and sails very nice. You would have your own forward cabin, a couple would be welcome.
It will require overnight sailing with 4 hour shifts schedule.
I'm quit happy to share the galley so if your a chef even better. You must be clean, a non smoker and not a drunken sailor.

Let me know if this is of interest, a little bit about yourself and we can discuss the rest.

Sailor girl Sandra Jane
Old 05-03-2016, 17:56   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Caribbean passage

I'm in when are you leaving?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-03-2016, 17:57   #3

5000+ offshoah miles, 40 yrs+ sailing experience

Old 05-03-2016, 18:34   #4

We're leaving end of March, I'm just waiting for my skipper to arrive from Canada, then a few more boat chores, provisioning and then toss the lines.
Tell me more about you? Worst storm? Mechanical skills? Your 5000 nm? How far away now? Stinky feet?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-03-2016, 19:55   #5

Yo Skippah!,

Thanks foah the comeback. No, my feet don't stink, but my "boss", wife, has demanded that I weah a cologne, because, even though she claims her sense of smell is diminished from chemotherapy, she can smell me! Women! Anyway, my worst stohm.....hmmm, well that may have been in Feb 1982 in Buzzahds Bay, when my friend who owns a 65' salvage tug shanghaied me at 18:00 to help save a sinking fish boat in the middle of the bay. It was blowing 40+ when we left the dock and the temp was 5F. I was tasked with stepping down to sinking vessel with my Capt'n's mate and helping to pump out the 67' vessel after the CG efforts had failed. We succeeded and saved the boat and her crew and then proceed to save yet another fish boat that had grounded out in Woods Hole. We steamed across the bay in 15 ft breaking seas and arrived ice covered in time to pull the "Faro" off of Middle Ground before she foundered. The crew had deployed their life raft and seas were breaking over the bow as we tasked a CG 41 footer to run a line into the casualty. The Mate and I worked lines on a ice coated deck, trying not to end up in the drink. With the connection completed, "Jaguar" proceeded to pull on the casualty for 45 minutes until she was freed at 03:17. We towed Faro to a dock in Woods Hole and Charlie (the Capt'n) found me a ride home to Fairhaven where I took a shower, had breakfast and went to my day job.

I also "steamed" my 22' bassboat (lobstah style) across Vineyard Sound in 40 kts of wind and 10 ft breaking seas on my way back to Fairhaven from Oak Bluffs. After we transited Woods Hole Passage, the wind had built to >50 kts and on the advice of the ferry from New Bedford, that was approaching Woods Hole, we chose to let discretion be the better part of valor and retired to a dock in Woods Hole till the tempest was spent.

Mechanical skills, average, I can diagnose and fix most mechanical problems, good with computers and electrical stiff, not too good with diesels.

Offshore: I helped deliver a 43' Cat from St Martin to Kemah, TX in 2008. 16 days and we were buffeted by a hurricane with 40 kts of wind (made 280 miles that day) and chased by a hurricane across the Gulf. In 2013, I helped deliver a 76' sloop from St Martin (are you seeing a pattern here) to Newport RI, then helped sail a 43' sloop from Port Hardy BC to Victoria BC with a 40 hr overnight passage (I took the dog watch). That same year I crewed on a 38' C&C in the Galveston to Port Aransas race and then went back to Newport to help deliver the 76' sloop to Norfolk VA in gales in November...frickin' cold!

Right now, I'm in Kemah TX.

Hope to hear more.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 07-03-2016, 07:58   #6

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Wow, I was thinking of talking sailing experience & skills, and now I see "stinky feet" could be the deal breaker! That's raising the bar. Especially when the "bucket of sea water" shower water reach the ol' feet last, makes them bottom of the barrel, literally I guess.
But all seriousness aside, sounds like you have three (incl yourself, the Capt'n & Scott), so I'd be a candidate if you were inclined toward taking a 4th, but that might be tight below decks, I understand - although that would ease the watch schedule. But I'd be interested in the passage, and do have a 30 day Pacific side passage from Mx to the canal in my recent outings (as crew, that is), as well as ASA & ICC certificates. Oh, yea, responsible, sober, non-smoker with considerable electronics & instrumentation skills, but I've never noticed how my feet register on the "stinky scale".
Cheers, John
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42   #7
cp1

Hello
I'm an experienced delivery skipper and trainer , 175 k nm. Please see my profile here and visit my website. If interested pls email me
at captdougcp1@gmail.com.
Thank you. D

Tags
Caribbean, passage, rib