Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 15:17   #1

Caribbean April-May 2012

35 y/o male available for crewing in Caribbean from early April - late May 2012. I have sailing experience, and grew up on a 45' cutter sailing from Spain to New Zealand. I am good on and in the water and am positive, hard-working and efficient. I have intentions to be in The Bahamas from mid-April, but am not to fussed about how I get there. I can meet a boat anywhere in Mexico, USA, Panama for a few days crewing up to longer periods.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44   #2

Boat: 53' steel ketch, modified Bruce Roberts yard-built
Re: Caribbean April-May 2012

We're looking for one or two experienced crew to join us aboard RV Llyr, our 53ft blue-water steel ketch recently fully refit for distance voyaging and as a dive boat. We're a farm/crew family of five --4 divers-- and RV Llyr berths 9 comfortably. Seeking crew for passage from Salem MA to Boca Chica, Dominican
Republic from late April to latter May. You would disembark in DR on arrival as Llyr has 3-4 weeks of marine conservation work in DR and Haiti with ReefCheck.org and
OceansWatch.org.
After return from work in Haiti mid-June Llyr will move on to Panama; further crewing is possible for that leg too.

This ridge-to-reef expedition has many components and offers unique learning
opportunities. We're happy to learn from you and also teach you about what
it is that we're up to.

Cost sharing to be negotiated. Blue water passage experience and references required.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28   #3

Sam T.: Car Romer here with a sail plan that starts just about your availability time. I have a new Endurance 36 (18,550lbs vessel) rigged cutter with an extensive inventory of safety and navigat. gear. Brand new sails, two GPS, Sea anchor parachute, plus sound ground/tackle gear as well. I intend to sail from East coast of Florida to Bimini (Gun Key), from there to Chub Key, and into Nassau. Itinerary is island hopping all the way to Trinidad-Tobago, and further South. No need to think in extended legs, you can embark until you want, and then see how things go. Food/bevs on board, some help with mobility after some miles. Everything can be arranged. Please let me know what do you think? Car
Old 07-03-2012, 10:57   #4

Hi Car, thank you for getting in touch! When is it that you plan to leave Florida? I am also keen to know what experience you have in blue-water sailing and navigation. On my part I was brought up living on a boat so have done many blue-water miles, but have been away from it for some time. I am keen to make a family reunion on Long Island, Bahamas, so will not continue on from there unfortunately. I understand if this is not far enough for me to contribute to your voyage, but let me know. Yours faithfully, Sam Trubridge
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01   #5

Hi BSGFarm, my plans are to be in Long Island Bahamas by late April, so it is possible that our dates might not line up. This is a big shame, because I would very much enjoy to travel/work with you - particularly because of my own passion for conservation and (free) diving. Please let me know if your schedule changes in any way, and I will jump to it! Yours, Sam Trubridge
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02   #6

Sam T.: You recently asked me about my sailing experience. My experience is kinda like yours in a sense, because also have a long interval of life away from my primordial passion: The Water! (divorce can do weird things to you...). Anyhow, I have sailed extensively, and for some 20 years the Long Island Sound. From Montouk Point/Orient Point to the Manhattan Harbor. Martha's Vineyard, Coast of Massachuset, and Maine, all in the north Atlantic. I have sailed recently from Daytona Beach Florida to near Miami in a bad gale. To do my crossing to Bimini, and further I need an experienced Mate, capable of taking the boat in his watch without problems. Of course, if problems arise, there will be two on board to solve it. My plans are, I reason, the safest one. I would like to sail to the keys (Sombrero, Marathon, etc.), and stage there to make a run across the Gulf Stream to Gun Key. From there enter the Grand Banks to Northwest channel light. Further it will be Chub Key, stage to Nassau. Clear there, and sail across to Long Island. Once there I will stand, and look for another sailor to continue "northing" around Long Island to the first key in the Great Exumas.
All "legs" are intended a full day of sailing, or less. Once in Nassau, legs could be as short as 15-20 nm per day. My departure is now conditioned to finding a mate. Would love to hear what do you think. Sincerely, Car
Old 01-04-2012, 14:39   #7

Boat: Cal-Jensen 34 w Yanmar 3
Send a message via Skype™ to sonAdmiralson

hi carlos and kiwi, just bought a boat... will be going from fla to nassau around april 19, with my fiance Vanessa, flexible itinerary capexco@hushmail.com
john
Old 01-04-2012, 14:52   #8

hi sam will need crew to bahamas around april 18 itinerary flexible john
Old 01-04-2012, 14:54   #9

from the tampa area in florida
Old 01-04-2012, 15:01   #10

33 yawl new fresh water yanmar, recent maint packing box etx
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22   #11

How long do you think you might take from Tampa to Long Island Bahamas if we got reasonable weather?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10   #12

bahamas in four days, long island whenever. I know the bahamas a bit sched flexible if we leave Tampa area on the 19th or so could be two weeks or less. email capexco at hushmail dot com
Old 02-04-2012, 18:40   #13

Boat: catalina 320

Hi Sam,
I've just posted on the crew wanted forum. Am leaving miami to the bahamas on around the 10th or 11th of april.....

Tags
Caribbean