Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 15:49   #16
cruiser

Re: Captain Wanted

Paul why you so concerned with the rules around here? A forum member asked for help and got a few replies. That's why we're here. Your response seems out of line and strangely bitter. Leave it for the mods to scold him behind closed doors.
Old 30-03-2014, 15:51   #17
cruiser

Oh your a commercial member, protecting your turf. Telling others the rules is not hip to say the least.
Old 30-03-2014, 15:59   #18
Marine Service Provider

I am not scolding anyone but posting a reminder of already posted rules for the benefit of all. I try my best to abide by these rules and even the moderator admitted some lack of familiarity. I am not protecting turf but making sure it is on a level field.
Old 30-03-2014, 16:10   #19

Paul I’m not degrading your personal qualifications. My point is not every Cert. holder is competent. And every person asking for assistance needs to check out any responder. Maybe we should debate this by Private Message instead of on this thread.

Mark Twain
Old 30-03-2014, 16:20   #20

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38

Mark, I sent you a private message
Old 30-03-2014, 16:44   #21

Boat: kelly peterson 44

for all you guys with captains license congrats. I spent over 20 years at sea and the Coast Guard never issued me a Captains License although they did issue me a Merchant Mariners Officers License that says Master of steam or power unlimited gross tonnage any oceans with a sailing endorsement, but my crew called me Captain, on the other hand my wife never calls me Captain and I don't expect anyone that isn't working for me to call me Captain either, so if you are designated to be in charge of a vessel I guess you can call yourself Captain,Skipper,Commander or what ever because there is no license for a USCG Captain. Oh and by the way a Master Mariner which there are very few of hold unlimited licenses in both deck officer and engineering officer ratings.

Michael
USCG Master Unlimited Gross tonnage any Oceans
Old 30-03-2014, 17:06   #22

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
"Gods git to seafaring"??? Huh???

Anyhow, I find the rule a bit confusing but here they are:

Commercial Members

Any member with a marine-related product, service or company - whether for profit or not for profit - may choose to become a Commercial Member. Cruisers Forum does not discourage nor endorse any commercial entity and is not primarily intended for soliciting business by commercial entities (advertising). Commercial Members must adhere to all forum policies including the following which specifically pertain to Commercial Members:
  • Anyone may join Cruisers Forum, but those with a commercial interest may be identified as Commercial Members at our discretion. Any posts that are deemed to be unsuitable will be removed, and repeat offenders will have their account suspended.
  • Commercial Members may not solicit our membership or advertise except as specifically allowed in these policies or by prior arrangement with Social Knowledge, LLC. This includes: posting prices, directing members to phone for more info or directing members to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages.
  • Commercial Members may only quote prices in the Commercial Posts Forum
  • Commercial Members are prohibited from making direct, emotionally-charged posts to, or about, competitors.
  • Commercial Members may not post product comparisons.
  • Commercial Members may not use any section of the forum except the Commercial Posts Forum to discuss their product, service or company unless answering a direct question from another member, and even then may not quote prices outside the Commercial Posts Forum.
  • Commercial Members may not use the main Forums to direct others to the Commercial Posts Forum.
  • Commercial Members may post their product, service or company Home Page URL in their Profile, but not in their avatar, nor can it be their User Name.
  • Signature standards: Commercial Members may have three lines containing two non-commercial signature links and may incorporate their business name into their signature. No other advertising or contact information (such as phone number or email address) is allowed. No commercial links are allowed in signatures of Commercial Members.
I thought the above really gave a commercial member no way to communicate with someone who needed their product. This is where that came from here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-105198.html

However, also check Post #3 in the same location. Here is what it says:

If you're interested, we have a 'Silver' level Supporting Vendor for CMs who wish to post link. This is very cheap (I will PM you with a figure), and would allow you to:

Post responses to any posts about your products in the relevant threads, and you would be able to link to your product.

Put your business name in your signature, with a link.

Add a banner advertising your site in your signature - for active members with many posts, this can result in a LOT of banner exposure across the site.

Start threads about your product in the Vendor Spotlight forum, which has a priority RSS feed over on the right hand side.

Add a link to your website in your user profile, and that will show on your 'contact me' page.

You will be allocated the usertitle (that's under your username on your posts) Sponsoring Vendor and a blue badge, so that our members will know that you care enough to donate to the running costs of our site and keep it free for them.

You will be able to use your business logo as your avatar.

You will get a listing with banner in our Vendor Directory.
Old 30-03-2014, 18:03   #23

What a bunch tung wagging know it alls. I would never ask you guys for any advice. Get real.
Old 30-03-2014, 18:54   #24
cp1

Yep I'm a pro charter and delivery guy on the
About every day. We see this all the time.
Issue is - no operators permit or license required
To operate. You need a special test for a motor
cycle license. Why shud boats be different?
They're more complicated.
Regarding deliveries most insurance carriers
Require a licensed captain if owner is
Not on board.
Old 30-03-2014, 21:50   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Would that be God's annoying little git to seafaring?

Coops.
Old 30-03-2014, 23:02   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Come on guys, all this bad feeling could have been avoided very easily.

If you are interested in doing the delivery for the OP, just send him a private message saying so. And if you feel like it post a simple message to the forum saying "PM sent".

No need for all this trumpet blowing.
Old 31-03-2014, 05:12   #27

Boat: American Tug

Wish moderators would deal with "thread drift" rules. The discussion about forum rules and CG regulations has no bearing on Mark's original post.
Old 31-03-2014, 05:42   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Would that be God's annoying little git to seafaring?

Coops.
Gittyup Coops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Come on guys, all this bad feeling could have been avoided very easily.

If you are interested in doing the delivery for the OP, just send him a private message saying so. And if you feel like it post a simple message to the forum saying "PM sent".

No need for all this trumpet blowing.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
Wish moderators would deal with "thread drift" rules. The discussion about forum rules and CG regulations has no bearing on Mark's original post.
+1

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 31-03-2014, 09:21   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post

OK, let's try and keep to answering Mark's original question, although I fear it is too late and he has been frightened off.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
The only recognized organization that requires competency that I know of is RYA and I’ve seen some dandies with that Cert.
RYA Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper are just course completion certificates. It's possible to fail the course, but one really has to screw up badly. RYA Yachtmaster is based on independent assessment and should be a fairly reliable indicator of competency.

Tags
captain, wanted