Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 04:19   #1

Captain & Crew wanted - Missionary Ship

We are looking for captain & crew who are qualified and experienced.

The ship is a Non profit Christian Missionary ship used to reach people on remote islands in the Philippines. The recently completed Ketche is a steel hull, 120 foot, 280 ton displacement and with its 5 ton loading capacity, we carry a well drilling machine,water filters, clothes and other necessary items.

We are in need of a Captain for a 10 day mission at the end of this month February 2015, even if you only captain this mission. A longer term captain and volunteer crew for future missions are also needed so if the above appeals to you at all, please PM me for further information.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:34   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Captain & Crew wanted - Missionary Ship

huh, this still happening today ?

just dont preach sensless human multiplication please.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:27   #3

Boat: 34-ft

What I hate about sailors is the apparent abundance of atheist and anti-Christian amongst us. I'd love to use my sailing skills to help out with a missionary trip like this, especially if it involves drilling water wells for people in need. It will have to wait a few years for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-02-2015, 05:51   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterGod View Post
What I hate about sailors is the apparent abundance of atheist and anti-Christian amongst us. I'd love to use my sailing skills to help out with a missionary trip like this, especially if it involves drilling water wells for people in need. It will have to wait a few years for me.

There in lies the problem with Volentourism. Drilling wells is something the locals can do. A lot of missionary groups (not suggesting this one does) have volentourists come and stay for a week or four. These volentourists will paint and clean and prepare meals. These are tasks the locals can do. The experience gives the volentourist a nice warm fuzzy feeling, but doesnt really achieve anything.

At the same time the missionary groups are spreading what ever religion they happen to be. This can be quite divisive in some nations. One can imagine if Muslim missionaries went into the Bible Belt usa. Hmm. The same can be said for Christian Missionaries . In this case however, The Philippines are 93% christian so one wouldnt expect too many cultural issues referred to above.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
huh, this still happening today ?

just dont preach sensless human multiplication please.
How about live and let live. Get yourself a vasectomy if you do not wish to procreate and STFU.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:20   #6

Boat: 34-ft

OZSkipper - I understand completely. Actually, my personal plan is to go help with wells in places that can't afford to and may not have the skills to build them. No preacher, but my Christian beliefs lead me to help others, but not to do so just to express my beliefs. I know about how ugly the world can be. Especially for children. Bonedaddy - good point. Let's just drop my part of the discussion now, as I know it leads nowhere. Smooth sailing to all of you!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:49   #7

Are you going to wait for the smoke to clear?
Philippines honors 44 slain commandos with day of mourning - CNN.com
And if dope is found on the boat .
The captain is killed .
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

PM me please.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
There in lies the problem with Volentourism. Drilling wells is something the locals can do. A lot of missionary groups (not suggesting this one does) have volentourists come and stay for a week or four. These volentourists will paint and clean and prepare meals. These are tasks the locals can do. The experience gives the volentourist a nice warm fuzzy feeling, but doesnt really achieve anything.

At the same time the missionary groups are spreading what ever religion they happen to be. This can be quite divisive in some nations. One can imagine if Muslim missionaries went into the Bible Belt usa. Hmm. The same can be said for Christian Missionaries . In this case however, The Philippines are 93% christian so one wouldnt expect too many cultural issues referred to above.
Oz, so what do you suggest instead? Throwing money at the problem or?? Feet on the ground and hands in the dirt helping local people achieve something that benefits their community is always a positive experience, in my eyes. Having done projects all over the world I can say it's absolutely mutually beneficial for the "voluntourist" and the locals....even without getting into the fascinating cultural exchange and friendships that are built while working together. You really should try it sometime. Just because a mission shares their religion with a local community doesn't mean they're converting the community and forcing abidance to foreign theologies - that would assume nobody can decide for themselves what they desire. If your religion inspires you to travel and help people less fortunate than you are, that's fantastic. This project sounds like a great journey.

Anyway, apologies for the rant. PM sent for position as captain or crew if you haven't been flooded by responses already.

Vinny
Old 03-02-2015, 10:28   #10

Im available

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21   #11

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedaddy View Post
How about live and let live. Get yourself a vasectomy if you do not wish to procreate and STFU.
yeah, thats typical answer of indians and muslims too.

earth cant cope with overflow of humans!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 18:10   #12

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

So what is it exactly are you spewing ??
Old 03-02-2015, 18:12   #13

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy.ph View Post
We are looking for captain & crew who are qualified and experienced.

The ship is a Non profit Christian Missionary ship used to reach people on remote islands in the Philippines. The recently completed Ketche is a steel hull, 120 foot, 280 ton displacement and with its 5 ton loading capacity, we carry a well drilling machine,water filters, clothes and other necessary items.

We are in need of a Captain for a 10 day mission at the end of this month February 2015, even if you only captain this mission. A longer term captain and volunteer crew for future missions are also needed so if the above appeals to you at all, please PM me for further information.

PM me
Old 03-02-2015, 18:37   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

man some of you people need to learn to read
Old 04-02-2015, 01:37   #15

As per the rules of the forum, I do not intend to start any religious debates and will not be commenting/replying to anything that is not related to the positions being posted for.

Many thanks, Ill will PM those who requested.

Tags
captain, crew, crew wanted, wanted