Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 11:56   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Canaries to Grenada late 11-2015

Our insurance has required us to seek a 3rd member for our crew. We are a sailing family on a lagoon 380 crossing the Atlantic this winter for the Caribbean. While we would love to have friends or family along on our voyage none of them have offshore experience which our insurance requires.

If interested please respond here or PM. I'm currently sailing to Gibraltar so may not respond quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 12:28   #2

Re: Canaries to Grenada late 11-2015

PM send,

Best regards
Zbig
Old 10-09-2015, 12:49   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Canaries to Grenada late 11-2015

What insurance company is that Yardie? Panteneaus and topsail are both ok for us to double hand. Maybe see if you can change insurers?
Btw, check out the Atlantic Odysseys if your interested in joining a good family friendly rally for the crossing.
Old 10-09-2015, 14:26   #4

Hi everyone. Just to clear up any confusion. This passage is unpaid. We won't fly you out to join us. If you are in the canaries, cap verde, or North African coast then this trip might be for you. If you are anywhere else, unfortunately, you'll have to pay your own freight.

Old 10-09-2015, 14:33   #5

Hiya monte

Our insurer is topsails. We had 3 quotes and all of them wanted a 3rd crew. You might have more experience than us which is why they didn't request it for you. We've been sailing full time since November in the med. our longest passage being 4 days.

We were interested in Atlantic odyssey and had started out application. We decided there were many more places we wanted to see and the odyssey didn't have cap verde on the itinerary. I wanted to land further south in the Caribbean and work our way up. Going straight to Martinique we would miss a lot of beautiful places.

Old 10-09-2015, 14:45   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm pretty sure the odyssey has one that does the canaries, then Cape Verde, then finishes at Barbados. Great deal especially if they still have the half price for boats with kids. The rally was really well run and a lot of fun last year.
As far as crew, there's quite a lot available in the canaries and a lot of signs up in the marinas for crew looking for boats, but best to line someone up beforehand I guess if you're in need of experience.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:33   #7

They've added it for 2016. I think a few people asked , us included, for a cap verde stop. So they've done another rally called islands odyssey.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:07   #8

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

Greetings

Having recently (Aug) completed Oahu to San Francisco - 2450 miles on a Beneteau 52 - I would be most interested in such a passage. I am a multihull sailor of ten years looking to increase my exposure to larger cats on longer passages.

Racing for 40 years (Laser to Navy 44), around the cans to open ocean (Marblehead & Newport-Bermuda), I consider myself to be very experienced.

My navigation experience comes from 3000 hours of open ocean patrol in Canadian military P3 aircraft.

I am an easy-going, mechanically-inclined, flexible, fit and independent man of 55 years who is actively seeking a multihull to begin my own adventure in July 2016.

Would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your requirements, plans and vessel at your convenience.

cheers
Dave
Phreeup@gmail.com
Old 11-09-2015, 09:47   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Having made the trip myself, I suggest you choose your crew carefully. Its a long trip, and people can go kinda crazy out there.

You might also want to make some fundamental stipulations, if they apply, like no drinking, no smoking, etc.

A potential crew member also needs to know their responsibilities...are they on watch all the time? Are they expected to clean and do maintenance? Who is in charge of navigation? How much privacy can they expect?

The time to discuss is before you leave the dock.
Old 14-09-2015, 22:31   #10

I have sailing experience and a masters 50t with stcw and sailing endorsement. I can email my resume if you are interested. 55 male excellent health.
Old 14-09-2015, 22:32   #11

sorry nevermind. i need flight paid.
Old 14-10-2015, 09:46   #12

Greetings,

I'm Barbaros,a last-year medical student from Izmir/Turkey who has recently taken a year off to travel around the South America.Crossing the ocean will be the most special part of this trip and I already welcome all challenges with a great energy as a way to improve myself and my sailing skills.I would like to join your boat as 3rd.

As for sailing,I have attended basic sailing courses for 4 months and participated in some sailing races along the Aegean coast of Turkey.I've taken part in boat transfers by both motoring and sailing on Greek and Turkish coasts,also from Italy to Greece totally making around 1800-1900 miles in the sea.In some of the trips,I joined the foreigner boat and they all tuned out to be great experiences.I am an open-minded personality that makes it easier to get along with people from so different backgrounds.I am willing to take any duty and responsibility on the boat : Night watch,cooking,deckhand,sail trimming...

I was brought up with sea culture and have been lucky enough to live in a city,Izmir, whose history and lifestyle is shaped by the sea throughout the history. I'm an energetic,laid-back,cheerful,tidy as well as a responsible person (as medical school requires it a lot) and very well-informed of the history,mythology,traditions of my part of the world.I am so good at cooking Turkish,Greek and Med-cuisine with lots of greens and olive oil as well as some well-known dishes from Asian and Mexican cuisines.

Moreover,as a medical student,I'm fully trained for first aid or any case of emergency as well as for basic medical interventions.

I am fluent in English,Greek and Turkish.

If you are still looking for crew,we could meet at an agreed port,either in Canaries or before.If you wouldlike to discuss further about the details,please don't hesitate to send me an e-mail : barbarossso@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Barbaros

Tags
aries, Canaries, Grenada