Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30   #1

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Available to crew during summer. From FL to anywhere.

I am a 31 y/o single male with some experience sailing.

Last summer I crewed on a delivery of a Morgan OI33 from Treasure Island, FL to Gulfport, MS.

I am currently anchored in Bradenton Beach, fixing up my Cal Cruising 35 and going a bit stir-crazy. I work for a private school, so I have summers off. I would like to fill as much of them as possible with sailing trips!
Old 13-06-2012, 19:19   #2

Re: Available to crew during summer. From FL to anywhere.

Are you interested in a trip from Key West to Isla Mujeres, MX? If you have a passport. Boat is a 1973 Islander 36. I am 63 and retired, wife prefers to fly from Miami. I'm hoping to have two crew along.
Jack
Old 13-06-2012, 19:30   #3
cruiser

jack, how long do you expect to take, and can you tell us more about your boat and plans?
Old 13-06-2012, 19:32   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
I am a 31 y/o single male with some experience sailing.

Last summer I crewed on a delivery of a Morgan OI33 from Treasure Island, FL to Gulfport, MS.

I am currently anchored in Bradenton Beach, fixing up my Cal Cruising 35 and going a bit stir-crazy. I work for a private school, so I have summers off. I would like to fill as much of them as possible with sailing trips!
just got down here from bradenton last month, (marathon)....

If you want to join me for some cruising around the keys, let me know....
Old 14-06-2012, 05:43   #5

OK When weather presents opportunity I plan to head west to a point past Tortugas and avoid as much as I can, the heavy currents. then turn southward toward Isla Mujeres, don't have exact route just yet. Will stay in Isla Mujeres two to three days, picking up wife along the way, and continue on toward Rio Dulce. We are well provisioned for food and water. While under way both quarter birth and v will be storage space. Don't know if you're familiar with the Islander, but it has a reputation as a solid blue water boat. Depending on conditions we expect 5 to 7 knots, should take about 3 days on first leg give or take. Do you have any safety gear? Also snorkeling is amazing there. If you prefer you may reach me on cell. 361-660-4453
Jack
Old 15-06-2012, 06:42   #6

Hi again,
I have found one other person to travel to Isla Mujeres. Still looking for one other.
You had asked about the trip. First let me tell you about me and sailing in open waters. Raised in Corpus Christi. Fished all the time. Never been sea sick. I do get quizzy when others get sick. It's the sick thing. I've only done 1 Gulf crossing. April before last I flew to Roatan to help a friend bring his boat back to Houston. 1 over nighter to Cozumel Mx.. Then to Isla Mujeres. Then 4 nights to Galveston and Kemah, Tx.. No moon light.
How did I get here from Tx.? Left Port Aransas, Tx. in mid March to Kemah, Tx.. There we spent a week preparing for this trip to Florida. Traveled the ICW to Pensacola there we had to over night in the Gulf to Port St. Joe. Low bridges. Traveled to Apalachcola where we hit the Gulf again for another overnighter to Clearwater. Back on the ICW and then back to Gulf. Sea's have been good to us. We watch the weather.
The boat. 1973 Islander, 25hp Westerbeke diesel, 4 cylinder. 2 Solar panels, 1 wind gererator. Boat came with a buildt in ice box, now it's a fridge. 2000 watt Honda gerarator. 1 gal gas for 5,5 hrs run time for AC. Anchorage or dock side only. V-berth, 2 setties. A-60 Raymarine chart Plotter, Auto Pilot but not programmed yet. Has wheel and captains chair. 28 gallon fuel tank. 7/ 5 gallon diesel jugs (35 gallons). Microwave. Head and shower in one. Fans. Dingy with Mercury 3.5 HP.
VHF radio. 2 hand held GPS. 4 person life raft. SPOT locater. Tracts our progress and sends to friends with HELP button. I'd be glad to send you a link and you could see where we are anchored.
Any other questions let me know. But I need to know asap if you are going. I have a friend checking weather and my wife is searching the weather also.
Please call, 361-660-4453 or 903-603-5777, email txlittlejack@prodigy.net
Jack
Old 01-07-2012, 17:00   #7

We are leaving for Bahamas around July 7th, We are a family of 4 and need an extra hand. If you are interested give me a call 305 322 1698 Rob
Old 09-07-2012, 12:11   #8

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Sorry for the lack of replies. My anchor chain broke during TS Debbie and my boat hit a bridge and sank. I've been directing the salvage and will be spending at least the next month stripping it down
Old 09-07-2012, 15:35   #9

Hey Rob -- Have you and your family left for the Bahamas yet?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Sorry for the lack of replies. My anchor chain broke during TS Debbie and my boat hit a bridge and sank. I've been directing the salvage and will be spending at least the next month stripping it down
That's really too bad. Yours must be the one I heard the CG broadcasting about, by Cortez bridge.
I am really sorry to hear about it. Are you making out OK?

Tags
crew