Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 19:01   #1

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
Atlantic Crossing Early Dec

Hi all,

My wife and I are crossing the Atlantic in our near new 'Salina 48' Catamaran, in tandem with a Sanya 57 and possibly other two cats.

We are currently in Morocco, planning to go to the Canaries mid Nov and cross to the Caribbean in early Dec, two weeks crossing and a few months in the Caribbean to chill out.

We have been living aboard for the last 6 months and are very experienced with the boat.
I have sailed for over 40y, held a Master Class V Trading (i.e.for commercial work under 300 Ton), Radio Telephony certificate, marine engine driver and First aid certificates, for over 30y.
I have operated a charter boat business with different boats for the past 22y.
We are both good cooks.

Our Salina is a magnificent Cat, very well appointed and one of the best sailing, "Production" cats around.
I hope to sail with our Parasailor for the whole trip without having to take it down...... will see

We were going to sail alone, but recently we are thinking to take an additional 1 or 2 people/couple for the crossing to help with night watches.
We have two Queen Size cabins with their own en-suites available.

I expect to get a lot of applicants, so before rushing to PM me read the rules:

• No smoking at all times and no alcohol in navigation.
  • Some sailing experience expected, I can teach the rest.
  • Cleanliness and a positive attitude required.
  • Night watch will be 3 Hours, day watch not necessary.
  • Cooking welcome, but not required.
  • Contribution to expenses will earn you Brownie points...

All in all I hope to pick the right weather windows and we will all have a great time , but if we get some bad weather, it is not going to be my fault

You can ask any questions responding to this thread, but please PM me with lots of details about yourself if you want to be considered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-Side view.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	48867  
Old 27-10-2012, 22:19   #2

Boat: 41' Sail
Re: Atlantic crossing early Dec

Hello Stefano,

Beautiful Cat! PM sent. Cheers~
Old 27-10-2012, 22:39   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Last time I crossed the Atlantic at that time of the year, we met fifty-something-foot waves a thousand miles SE of New York. Thank goodness I was on a 900-plus-foot ship at the time.
Old 27-10-2012, 23:05   #4

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Canaries to Caribbean should be a very different beast than the northern end of the Atlantic, fortunately.
Old 28-10-2012, 03:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Last time I crossed the Atlantic at that time of the year, we met fifty-something-foot waves a thousand miles SE of New York. Thank goodness I was on a 900-plus-foot ship at the time.
The Westbound crossing is always done between Nov/Jan in the E, NE trade-winds.
It is normally a pleasant 2wk downwind crossing.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:04   #6

I am an all-round competent and confident (Day Skipper) sailor, able to navigate and keep day and night watch. I am a qualified First Aider and I have basic understanding of diesel engines. I am a confident cook and team player. I volunteered for Sailing for the Disabled on a 46ft Bavaria for 2 years. I have sailed Coastal and Atlantic. Although I have never sailed a Cat.

I am an easy going person who likes to live life. I have no family ties. Since 15th April 2012 I have been sailing with Skipper/Owner of a 29ft Dufour. We sailed from Lowestoft to Holland, Belgium, S coast UK, outside Bay of Biscay, Gibraltar and around the Med. Sadly this is soon to end. Let the next adventure begin!
I have read your rules.
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards
Joy Coates

Old 29-10-2012, 05:58   #7

I would be interested in joining if you still need anyone. I am Michael Langlois. Live in Miami. Age 52. Have sailed since I was a child though only in the last 2 years have I gotten back into it. Completed ASA Bareboat Cert. and sailed a 37 Hanse this summer in Greece with my girlfriend. Member of Coconut Grove Sailing Club. Never have completed a crossing. I am a massage therapist. Former professional ballet dancer. Very well traveled. Speak French. Clean. I can contribute whatever is necessary to the voyage: cleaning, cooking, watches, etc. I do not smoke. Thanks.
Old 29-10-2012, 06:18   #8

Thank you to all that are posting here and also those who are sending PMs to me.
I hope I have replied to all of you, if not, please remind me, it is all getting a little confusing as I have also posted on two other forums.

We have not selected the crew yet, so if there is someone else interested, please post or PM me with details.
Old 29-10-2012, 09:20   #9

hi stefano my name is captain Gabriel I will love to that crosing am a rigger also and cook fisherman Ext.. got like 10 years of experience doin deliveries and all my life sailing!! I now I can be very helpful in your voyage !! keep smiling!!

captain Gabriel
Old 29-10-2012, 09:36   #10

hi stefano my name is captain Gabriel am very interested in helping you to enjoy your crossing I got lots of experience doin crossings got my masters and sailing endorsements am a exelent cook and better engineer also am a rigger I can work with staylock and norsman no problem profurl you name it!! am looking forward to spend some time sailing !! if you need a dependable crew on board am your guy! I guaranteed that!! I hope here from you!!
Old 30-10-2012, 12:41   #11

Hello Stefano my name is Marco and i'm intrested in the trip. I live on Curacao and always wanted to make a transatlantic crosing. I have a litle sailing experince but i'm willing to learn a lot. I'm a non smoker and fisical fit. I'm 45 years old and always smiling so i think this wil work out. I hope to here from you.
Marco
Old 30-10-2012, 12:49   #12

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Love to go.....
''No smoking at all times and no alcohol''
Ahhh ummm........ never mind...........
Old 30-10-2012, 14:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I are crossing the Atlantic in our near new 'Salina 48' Catamaran, in tandem with a Sanya 57 and possibly other two cats.

We are currently in Morocco, planning to go to the Canaries mid Nov and cross to the Caribbean in early Dec, two weeks crossing and a few months in the Caribbean to chill out.

We have been living aboard for the last 6 months and are very experienced with the boat.
I have sailed for over 40y, held a Master Class V Trading (i.e.for commercial work under 300 Ton), Radio Telephony certificate, marine engine driver and First aid certificates, for over 30y.
I have operated a charter boat business with different boats for the past 22y.
We are both good cooks.

Our Salina is a magnificent Cat, very well appointed and one of the best sailing, "Production" cats around.
I hope to sail with our Parasailor for the whole trip without having to take it down...... will see

We were going to sail alone, but recently we are thinking to take an additional 1 or 2 people/couple for the crossing to help with night watches.
We have two Queen Size cabins with their own en-suites available.

I expect to get a lot of applicants, so before rushing to PM me read the rules:

• No smoking at all times and no alcohol in navigation.
  • Some sailing experience expected, I can teach the rest.
  • Cleanliness and a positive attitude required.
  • Night watch will be 3 Hours, day watch not necessary.
  • Cooking welcome, but not required.
  • Contribution to expenses will earn you Brownie points...
All in all I hope to pick the right weather windows and we will all have a great time , but if we get some bad weather, it is not going to be my fault

You can ask any questions responding to this thread, but please PM me with lots of details about yourself if you want to be considered.

Hi
My name is tim powers, retired fire officer who has sailed from an early age in san diego and about, focusing now on the great lakes. I have large amount of experience in navigation world wide, mostly great lakes the last decade. My natural sleep cycle leaves me excellent for the mid watch. I currently skipper a 40 foor Bruce roberts but all boats are getting put up on the hard in the great lakes. I have never put in one of these but saw your and thought what the hell, I can do that. I have thousands of hours sailing both salt and free water. I have never sailed europe but would eduacte myself on rules specific to port of call. I have basic life support skills, you get the epi spike and I can give it you you kind of thing, set splints ect. contact me at timjpowers@mchsi.com
Old 31-10-2012, 06:36   #14

Hi Stefano,
Not an easy work you have here, choosing the right crew for the Atlantic crossing...
We are a team of two skippers, sailing for 9 years now all over the Mediterranean (fun&work), with a new goal in our life - to circumnavigate the world !

But unlike the common approach of selling the house & car, we are joining to other people's boats: contributing our work, skills and experience with all duties onboard, in exchange for passage - no money involves :-), we discovered (by doing that for 6 month now) that the real profit is the friendship and human connections along the way.

We are offering different mentality combined with great sailing skills, many recommendations can approve that.

The new chapter in our adventure is "crossing the Atlantic", and we would be very happy to write it together with you.

If you are interested, please sent us an Email - miko.and.shaked (at) gmail.com, so we could continue talking...

Miko and Shaked.
Old 31-10-2012, 16:34   #15

Boat: R&C, 2015 Leopard, 48

Though I can't get away from work for the passage I'm interested in your assessment of the Salina 48. I was close to buying one a while back but after looking close at other FP's I wasn't impressed with the finishing quality I saw. Any impressions that should change my view?

Tags
atlantic crossing