Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46   #1

Atlantic 46 Fla to Pacific

Seeking long term, committed adventurers/sailors for west bound circumnavigation embarking December, 2012, from Fort Lauderdale. Age, gender not critical; positive outlook, open-mindedness, curiosity about people and places a must!
Here's a bit about me and my mission. I'm a physician in semi-retirement, at the moment finishing up a few years also as a goat herder/cheese maker and taking a sabbatical from work in women's health. Circumstances and modest savings permit me to get back to one of my first loves (other than my mother) of sailing. I have just purchased an Atlantic 46 catamaran designed by Chris White and sitting in Florida. I did a lot of monohull sailing between 1995 and 2006 in the Atlantic (Bermuda), the Bahamas, the Caribbean, and off the coast of California. This would be my first trip through the Panama Canal and the South Pacific. My hope is to circumnavigate if all works well and crew turn out to be dedicated to the idea and compatible.
I am a pretty laid back, open-minded, non-religious adventure minded person. I look forward to seeing new places and taking things as they come. I am an amateur musician, love reading, am fairly wordy and enjoy discussing anything from politics to you name it, even play a little bridge.
Currently, regarding crew, I have a Canadian man definitely committed to at least six months and maybe more who has a woman friend who may join up along the way. There is also an Italian sailor who's very interested plus a couple of others interested in short stints. I would prefer longer commitments although I realize anything can happen along the way. Of course, I have family and friends who might meet up at different points as I hope you may.
As far as expense sharing, that remains to be seen although my intentions are to keep things as simple as possible. I would like at most four including myself aboard and that would keep food, fuel, visas, transit expenses to a minimum. I am guessing with four folks, $400-600/month/person would be in the ballpark Obviously, boat maintenance is my responsibility.
I hope this gives you a thumb nail sketch of things in the wind. Oh, I hope to launch sometime in early December and would love to have crew aboard before then to help prepare the boat for its journey. Crew will have to pay their ways to the boat.
I'm sure I've left lots of things out so please fire back with questions.
Tim
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34   #2

Re: Atlantic 46 Fla to Pacific

Hi im Leo van Eeden a 21year old White South African Male looking to join crew and sail the world.
Im very enthusiastic and hard working (always wanting to learn and develop stronger skills and knowledge, was looking to get a delivery from SA to a destination where I could find a Crew there but havnt found anything.
If you would consider me for a position on your Catamaran I would organise flight tickets to meet up with you and start my new venture.
I have: (All RYA approved) Day Skippper Tidal,Day skipper for sail and powercraft ,Competent Crew and STCW2.
I look forward to hearing from you and maybe get to join you on your adventures.
e-mail: [DO NOT POST EMAIL ADDRESSES IN THE CLEAR]

Regards Leo van Eeden
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30   #3

Captain,

Just sent you a PM.

Since you have no exclusivity with the art of wordiness, I will appreciate it if you will let me know the full message arrived. I am concerned due to length, as I do not know the limits of this system.

I look forward to hearing from you; and, perhaps, to joining you in your adventure.

JEdward
Old 03-10-2012, 10:45   #4

Tim - loved reading your post. recently retired from a large manufacturing corporation ( toiled in mechanical trades/engineering ) having spent years dreaming of the adventure you are about to embark upon. I am a 53 year old male (Canadian) in excellent physical condition free of obligations for the foreseable future.
Here's the kicker. I am a novice sailor. Although living all my adult life on the shores of lake Ontario i was strictly a power boater - until my retirement at which point my wife & I downsized & moved to a house 3 hours north of Toronto on the shores of Georgian Bay. I promptly registered for the local colleges Cruising Sailors 6 week program aboard a Catalina 34 with the idea of possibly buying a sailboat. I am new to Cruisers Forum but have been recently scouting posts to hopefully find someone looking for help/company in adventure who is willing to take a chance on an enthusiastic new sailor.
My daughter has returned home after completing university for 6 months until her first work contract starts next summer. So my wife has company if I am gone & is willing to fly to any destination to meet up if it's convenient for a short visit.
A bit about me. Once out of the working world my first trip was to take my motorcycle last nov. from Toronto to southern Mexico where i spent most of the winter travelling & exploring (avoiding tourist areas), with my wife meeting me for 6 weeks in Oaxaca city & then returning home in april.
Don't let my mechanical background fool you. i have an academic side, am an avid reader, love conversation covering a wide range of subjects.
as well as trade/mechanical knowledge I bring an easy going attitude, am non religious, conscientious, and there is no problem in covering my own expenses while travelling.
Hope to hear from you soon

Barry

PS - if you have already found crew i would appreciate if you would keep me in mind in case you find yourself needing replacement/fill in crew at some point in your voyage. Good Sailing!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I am not sure of your route or schedule to Panama, but if you are planning on stopping in Rio Dulce Guatemala, my 18 y/o son and I are returning to our own 40' cat there. We are planning on flying but would rather sail. If you want to head straight there, we did it from Key West in just over 4 days. We also are familiar with the Isla Mujeres route. You will probably want to take a more leisurely route. But if you do want to stop in the Rio, we could help you get a "jump start" on your trip. Let me know if you are interested, Phil
Old 03-10-2012, 12:21   #6

Sounds like a plan.. I am a 43 year young male from Tennessee. My step-father introduced me to sailing several years ago but, unfortunately he passed away just as my interest was peaking.I have been longing for the oppotunity to see the world via sailboat. I have little experience but, am a quick learner. I wish to gain experience by "doing". I am a professional chef/restraunteur. My restaurant burned a few years ago however, and now is the time to examine more adventurous pursuits. Life is too short not to follow your dreams. I am relocating to St. Petersburg this month.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01   #7

Don't know whether you got my previous note...this site makes outside communication tough but let me know if you would like to communicate more and if possible provide an outside email address or phone number...
Hope to hear from you as I round out my crew.
I would like to know when you are available, whether you can share expenses, how long you hope to sail, and where...
Best,
Tim
Old 04-10-2012, 05:20   #8

Tim - having some difficulty with this site. not sure if you've received my contact info. phone #705-366-2625
email - [NO EMAIL ADDRESSES!]
hope to hear from you later to discuss your ideas for the trip

Barry
Old 04-10-2012, 18:23   #9

Hi, i am interested in joining you on your voyage. I have been sailing for the past 6 years on lake ontario and is a skipper. I have been researching and reading extensively practically all the sailing books available and now feel i have the skills and experience to move to water sailing">blue water sailing safely. I am a soon to be retired 53 year old male mechanical engineer and is in good physical health. So i will have the time to sail part of the trip with you. By mid december, i will also have skippered a 40foot monohull for two weeks around the leeward islands

Stan
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43   #10

Stan,
You sound like a great candidate. I would like to talk over the phone or Skype if you could provide me with that contact info. I am in the states so Skype would be better.
In any case, it's important for me to know a couple of things:
1. when would you be ready to sail
2. how long a commitment can you make
Other stuff we can discuss real time.
Hope to hear from you,
Tim
Old 05-10-2012, 08:20   #11

Hi Tim,

We are 2 Belgian best friends,
I am Steve a 37 years old Rya coastal skipper with Trans-Atlantic experience..I helped launch and sail a friend s catamaran in Thailand and did some shorter trips in Europe.I have 2 kiteboarding schools in Belize,so you can tell I enjoy the simple island life. I am spearfishing,flyfishing and deep sea fishing fanatic..so there will be no shortage of fish on the trip.I speak 4 languages..including french...can come in handy in French Polynesia.
Than there is Jacky...a Rya Yachtmaster with amazing cooking skills and a general easy going person.We are very adventurous and easy going people with a big heart for the underwater beauty.
We were planning to do a Pacific trip ourselves next year,but our partner in the affair chickened out.
So we did already a lot of research about the places.
I have also have good connections and friends in Bora bora,Vanuatu and New Zealand and Australia,Philipinnes,Andamans islands,Laccadives and Seychelles and Madagascar and Mozambique.It s always nice to know good people when doing these trips.
If you have more questions,please ask
Hopefully we can be part of your fantastic voyage.
Greets

Steve
Old 06-10-2012, 11:36   #12

Tim,

I am available starting mid december this year and is pretty much open except for mid may to august which I prefer to spend sailing in lake ontario. I am flexible on the duration.

i have sent to your email address skype and email details.

stan
Old 06-10-2012, 18:24   #13

Tim,

I am trying to learn this interface as I seek such adventures. Let me know whether you need crew still. I am in Tampa, and I have a flexible schedule. I could help with getting her ready too. Let me know.

Don
Old 06-10-2012, 22:38   #14

I am familiar with the logistics involved in such an endeavor. I posess the qualities needed to execute the pursuit and will be available for a face to face chat the week of Oct 8. Have funds/ will travel.. Carpe diem
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donomoore1
Tim,

I am trying to learn this interface as I seek such adventures. Let me know whether you need crew still. I am in Tampa, and I have a flexible schedule. I could help with getting her ready too. Let me know.

Don
Don please get back with a phone number and/or email address so we can talk more outside this site. I can be reached at rebcult at gmail dot com.
Tim