Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 23:34   #1
Marine Service Provider

Arctic Expedition 2016 Final Call – Northwest Passage

A HK registered 58ft cruiser Eagles Quest II (2008 Tayana 58DS) plans to go the Northwest Passage in 2016. Boat departed HK on 22/4 and will leaves Hokkaido crossing North Pacific around mid June, expect to reach Iceland in late September and Mediterranean Spain in early November.
Arrive Tokyo 5 June.
Available : Tokyo > Hokkaido > Dutch Harbor > NW Passage > Greenland > Iceland > UK > France> Mediterranean Spain
Check legs to join. Share fuel and food costs, mooring charge about US$50/day, others on sponsor.
Interested contact kdchu@talentme.com
FB : Eagles Quest II – Arctic Expedition
Old 03-06-2016, 18:54   #2

Re: Arctic Expedition 2016 Final Call – Northwest Passage

Hi would you be interested in a family of 4?

Regards
Andy
Old 03-06-2016, 19:21   #3

You might want to post some information on the boat and the full-time crew. Is this boat really suitable for such a voyage? Personally I would not contemplate such a trip (NW Passage) in a plastic boat. The passage should go fine, but that's not the point. What if things turn ugly, as they can do quickly up there? What if you run aground?

One reason I ask is because a big Tayana ran aground near us (broke free of its mooring) and was holed in MANY places, with frames and stringers destroyed, completely filled with water, etc. I assume you are planning for this: grounding, all electrics gone due to water ingress, and a plan to survive for a very long time while help is (hopefully) on its way.

Are the skipper and any full-time crew experienced with Arctic sailing?

Already one person is asking about taking kids, it seems. Oh my. Sailing has gotten vastly safer, but things can go wrong quickly and you are a long way from help in the Arctic. Maybe last year was the time to put together a crew, and do some training together?

I think "FB" in your post refers to facebook (?). If so, maybe that explains everything fully. I don't use facebook, so apologies if it does.

As I say, it'll probably go just fine...
Old 03-06-2016, 21:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

Sorry Andy,
This is an expedition and has some danger with it. No suitable for novice sailor or a family with children. You may consider some legs in Europe after we passed the message until Iceland or UK.
KD

Tags
arc, cal, passage