Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 10:02   #1

Any Interest by Experienced Crew to Bahamas next winter?

Hello All.
Im not 100% sure this is where to post this. but im researching if there would be any interest by an experience sailor to crew with me in the fall of 2015 from Most likely Mobile Al, to the Bahamas for the winter? im just curious if there would be interest in the possibility, definitely need experienced person. my skills or not up to snuff.

So you guys know more than I tell me what you think?
Old 05-02-2015, 11:13   #2

re: Any Interest by Experienced Crew to Bahamas next winter?

Hi Cyric30, welcome to the forums! I can say with pretty good confidence that you'll be able to find not only experienced crew to join on your passage here, but probably have the luxury of picking and choosing from a pool of applicants whom you'd like to have aboard.

A few things to keep in mind when you post looking for a helping hand: It's always great when folks tell us a bit more about the vessel, how she is equipped, some comments on your sailing background, your goals for the trip, timing, and what else you are offering. Commonly, skippers/owners cover the running costs of the vessel while underway, and crew are only obligated to get themselves to and from the boat.

In your position as a relative novice, it might be a good idea to offer some compensation for an experienced Skipper to come along and help out. Money talks, frankly, and would be well spent to ensure the safety of your crossing from Mobile, AL to the Bahamas. That passage shouldn't be taken lightly.

Not trying to scare you or anything, or tell you how to run the show, but this is what I see typically on this forum. Of course, there are wide ranges of offer, which you'll notice by perusing the history of posts here - everything from generously paid positions offer to folks looking for crew who will contribute a daily stipend to the journey. Everybody has their own goals and operates in different budget and experience limits.

Bottom line: This is the best place to look for a pair of hands to help with your crossing. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-02-2015, 11:28   #3

Vmattiola
That is very much the type, and kind of information im looking for, thank you very much for it. When/If i decide to do this, i will keep what you have said in mind, and post with much more useful data, I basically wanted to get a feel for things before i got down to serious talk, and also get some time on the boards, so im not just showing up with 1 post to my name, that is never good on any forum.
I would like to hear from everyone whose willing to comment though. just glad to get stuff out and talking.

Again thank you for the Reply.
Cyric
Old 05-02-2015, 14:41   #4

I might be interested. I actually have a couple of sailing trips planned with other owners who are doing what you are doing. PM me with email address if interested.
Old 05-02-2015, 18:25   #5

CaptTL,
having posted so little i cannot send you a PM, im afraid if we are to chat, you'll have to send me your email

Regard Cyric
Old 06-02-2015, 04:58   #6

Cyric,

Please, tell me a little about your boat and plans. When do you plan to depart? What part of the Bahamas will you be visiting. Describe your boat.

We can exchange email later.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Any Interest by Experienced Crew to Bahamas next winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmattiola View Post
Hi Cyric30, welcome to the forums! I can say with pretty good confidence that you'll be able to find not only experienced crew to join on your passage here, but probably have the luxury of picking and choosing from a pool of applicants whom you'd like to have aboard.

redacted for space.....
Spectacular post vmattiola!

Welcome to CF Cryic30!
Post above is spot on...
I'll wish ya tons of luck, but you won't need it methinks!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16   #8

Hi Cyric,

This S/V Chipper, Capt. Jim. I have a lot of experience sailing on Lake Michigan until I retired from teaching school. Then my wife and I got on our sailboat in Saugatuck Michigan sailed to Chicago took our mast down and went through the Rivers until we got to Mobile Alabama. I would recommend Dog River for your stay and Turners to put your mast back up. Crew is not a factor at all unless your going to miss the whole west coast of Florida and what cruising is all about. Your first jump will be across the bay a piece of cake. If weather is good you can outside in the Gulf or you can time your crossing with lunch at Jimmy Buffet's sister's place on the ditch and especially if the weather is bad. I would hope your transit would be small jumps from town to town the first being Pensacola and great place to anchor for the night. You should always have a good cruising guide book for each area your in and I assume you have paper charts along with a good nautical digital charts with your GPS like Raymarine, plus a good back up GPS like Garman on different circuit breakers and different batteries. Your going to need a dinghy if you don't have one or pay for one using marina's for docking. I would never buy an outboard motor that wasn't at least 15 horse that will get you up on plane. I have a 40 horse that is big enough to pull my boat when all else is not working. Most of the Bahamas is anchoring so some type of dinghy is necessary in my opinion. Good ground tackle like all 5/16" chain you didn't say how big your boat is I carry 3/8" which needs a windlass to get up unless you have a 25 year old back. You can get by with maybe an over size anchor 40' chain and then rode suggest 150' plus a back up anchor over sized, chain and another 150' rode or chain. I have a 45' sloop Gulfstar, I carry 5 anchors of a variety of types. I carry a Honda ei2000i inverter/generator along with four fans. At least 2 nautical VF radios which are the mode of Com. in the Bahamas so an antenna on the top of your mast will get you from Island to Island. I carry two radios on the boat with separate everything along with four portable or hand held radios along with a Ham license with single side band which is a little over kill until you need it. Along with spare everything impellers for engines main boat, dinghy's, water pump, fresh and boat, oil, filters, belts, extra paper products Bahamas is very expensive with all paper products and a great stash of food. Such as powdered milk, eggs, butter, Amazon etc. I like Crystal light for lemonade and a variety of flavors just add water. I filter my own water with Clearly Filtered and I Micron filter my diesel fuel as well. Gordon Food Service carries a few items we can't do with out. They carry canned pulled chicken, pork, and hamburger, cream for coffee without sugar etc. and does not need refrigeration. Back to cruising sorry for the tangent. Stop in at Destin, sail 50 miles stop at Panama City, sail 50 miles stop at Apalachicola Bay and so on and so on until your going around Key West. You would go about 50 miles to Marathon You can take a short cut to Marathon but you would miss Key West which in my mind is the best destination you could make. From Marathon to a key 50 miles down like pick one and anchor behind it. Next leg would be Biscayne Bay last chance to provision. Anchor in Bay and wait for good weather that is wind with no NORTH in it. A north wind reacts with the Gulf Stream for huge waves and a huge pain in the butt for as little as a mile or up to 40 miles of bad weather/waves. From Biscayne Bay to Bimini it is 46 miles. So get start out early I would go start about 4:00 am and head to the right of it because the Gulf Stream is going North and it will off set your course to the left of your target destination if you don't. Figure 5 knots average or nine hours at 5 knots. I would also carry enough fuel to motor the whole way. So take your wife or girl friend and get going. I am in Key West and my wife and I will be going in a couple of months. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2015, 17:28   #9

Boat: 55 fleming

I might be interested. I would need to know more. Boat, ETD, Bahamian Destination, proposed route, etc. 407 340 1291
Old 07-02-2015, 04:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cyric, and jamestholtzinge.

Old 11-02-2015, 15:33   #11

It's not clear to me what this poster is seeking. Crew? Partners? Customers? More specifics might be useful.

Tags
Bahamas, crew, enc