Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 17:25   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Annual trip up and down the Forgotten Coast.

Greetings!
Every year I take Beth (my Valiant 40) from Astoria to Friday Harbor in August and back to Astoria in September. She is well fitted for ocean sailing with all electronics (inc digital radar and AIS) This year I put in a windvane. I have openings for one or two (a couple) for crew on both passages. The skinny:
1.The passage is not an easy one (usually- last year it was a cakewalk). It is 270 miles of swells, currents and often adverse winds. When the winds die down the swells usually don't which brings its own set of problems. In other words- a good taste of high latitude sailing.
2. Your first trip is your expense, you pay transportation to Astoria Oregon, contribute to the food kitty and your return transport from the Washington mainland. If you are creative you can usually do this for under 100 USD per person. You are expected to take watch (alone or with one other) day and night as a regular rotation with the rest of the crew. No one is treated special on my boat.
If you are asked to come back, I will pay a little for the second time. This usually covers all expenses. If you are asked to come back again, I pay well.
3. It is cold out on the ocean. Bring your all weather gear and expect cold rain and fog most days. We usually make the journey in three days going north and 2 days going south, but that can easily be 5 days north and 4 days south. Planning on 4 days is pretty normal.
4. Going North: August 10-14 (leave with good tides and weather forecast)
Going South Sept 17-20 same deal. Do not plan a deadline that we have to get in by. We will proceed at the best speed for the safety of the boat. If a bank crossing/storm delays us, so be it. You need to know that this boat is not run on vote, the most experienced make the call. The only time the boat has really been in peril has been due to deadlines of the crew and or captain. Neay Bay provides a day earlier bailout or later boarding for those that need that, but it is discouraged because it leaves part of the journey shorthanded.
5. No booze, drugs or smoking on the boat. Once you get to Friday Harbor -Washington Ferries gives you a free ride to the mainland. After you step off my boat you are on your own. Also, don't expect to come in hung over on the first day. We pass the Columbia bank that day and I expect everyone to be alert and with it. 3 days is a long time to be with a screw-up, so if you cannot keep it together don't bother talking to me.
6. Crew invites. If your still with me by this point, and you think it would be an adventure with would profit you, send me a PM. After talking for a while across the web, I will try to arrange an interview in person or a day sail (which is best). I have lot of good friends are local in the Oregon/Washington area, they may know of you. I am a pretty clear book. You can look at my thousands of posts here to know what type of person I am.
Good luck and may you find fulfillment in your journey through sailing.
BTW: We often catch King Salmon when offshore. If you can make sushi it is a plus.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2014, 23:42   #2
cruiser

Re: Annual trip up and down the Forgotten Coast.

I have no experience but i can get out to oregon if you are interested.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PM sent.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03   #4

Boat: Oyster 53

"BTW: We often catch King Salmon when offshore. If you can make sushi it is a plus."

Intriguing - how do you catch kings offshore? I would love to know what the technique is.

Thanks.

Dhillen
S/V Asmara Sky
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Dhillen,
It is often just being in the right place at the right time. We troll 20km off shore with a fresh (not frozen) Anchovie behind a green/silver flasher. Shown to me by one of the locals here in Astoria. They seem to like it best between 3 and 5 knots. My son is the real fisherman, he is the one holding the salmon.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:03   #6

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Greetings!
Every year I take Beth (my Valiant 40) from Astoria to Friday Harbor in August and back to Astoria in September. She is well fitted for ocean sailing with all electronics (inc digital radar and AIS) This year I put in a windvane. I have openings for one or two (a couple) for crew on both passages. The skinny:
1.The passage is not an easy one (usually- last year it was a cakewalk). It is 270 miles of swells, currents and often adverse winds. When the winds die down the swells usually don't which brings its own set of problems. In other words- a good taste of high latitude sailing.
2. Your first trip is your expense, you pay transportation to Astoria Oregon, contribute to the food kitty and your return transport from the Washington mainland. If you are creative you can usually do this for under 100 USD per person. You are expected to take watch (alone or with one other) day and night as a regular rotation with the rest of the crew. No one is treated special on my boat.
If you are asked to come back, I will pay a little for the second time. This usually covers all expenses. If you are asked to come back again, I pay well.
3. It is cold out on the ocean. Bring your all weather gear and expect cold rain and fog most days. We usually make the journey in three days going north and 2 days going south, but that can easily be 5 days north and 4 days south. Planning on 4 days is pretty normal.
4. Going North: August 10-14 (leave with good tides and weather forecast)
Going South Sept 17-20 same deal. Do not plan a deadline that we have to get in by. We will proceed at the best speed for the safety of the boat. If a bank crossing/storm delays us, so be it. You need to know that this boat is not run on vote, the most experienced make the call. The only time the boat has really been in peril has been due to deadlines of the crew and or captain. Neay Bay provides a day earlier bailout or later boarding for those that need that, but it is discouraged because it leaves part of the journey shorthanded.
5. No booze, drugs or smoking on the boat. Once you get to Friday Harbor -Washington Ferries gives you a free ride to the mainland. After you step off my boat you are on your own. Also, don't expect to come in hung over on the first day. We pass the Columbia bank that day and I expect everyone to be alert and with it. 3 days is a long time to be with a screw-up, so if you cannot keep it together don't bother talking to me.
6. Crew invites. If your still with me by this point, and you think it would be an adventure with would profit you, send me a PM. After talking for a while across the web, I will try to arrange an interview in person or a day sail (which is best). I have lot of good friends are local in the Oregon/Washington area, they may know of you. I am a pretty clear book. You can look at my thousands of posts here to know what type of person I am.
Good luck and may you find fulfillment in your journey through sailing.
BTW: We often catch King Salmon when offshore. If you can make sushi it is a plus.
Capt Newt,
Man you run a tight ship! I'd sail with you anytime-well except for the no booze on board rule.
Have a great cruise. Also, try a "Buzz Bomb" for the silvers.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry about no intoxicants, but it is a rule we can all live with. There are some great bars in Friday harbor-after you check out of the boat
Alcohol consumption leads to dehydration which increases sea sickness and decreases judgement. I could get up on my soapbox, but that's enough from me. I make none of these rules niley whiley, they've all come from painful experience. ...
Old 08-06-2014, 17:28   #8

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hi Dhillen,
It is often just being in the right place at the right time. We troll 20km off shore with a fresh (not frozen) Anchovie behind a green/silver flasher. Shown to me by one of the locals here in Astoria. They seem to like it best between 3 and 5 knots. My son is the real fisherman, he is the one holding the salmon.
Thanks. My daughter is the real fisherman. I suck. Will have to give this a try.

Dhillen
Old 08-06-2014, 17:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have caught salmon in the straits with just a green spoon, but I think the above is the best technique for consistent catching. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2014, 18:49   #10

Boat: Beneteau/343
Annual trip up and down the Forgotten Coast.

How does one go from portland to Friday harbor?

I assume you take the ferry from Anacortes to Friday harbor but I am not sure how you get to anacortes one way.
Old 08-06-2014, 19:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's easy- Rail from Portland to mount vernon,bus to anacortes, walk to the ferry. The ferry back is free, then rail and reverse.
Old 08-06-2014, 21:11   #12

Sounds like a good time. Keep me in mind and I may be interested in being aboard in either direction. We will be sailing in our C&C 37+ in the Gulf Islands in July and Barclay Sound in Sept. My wife is not interested in offshore sailing at this point so the couple experience isn't gonna happen. I would have to see how the schedule matched up but would love to get the experience in either direction.
Old 28-06-2014, 07:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just an update and bump. We are all crewed coming back down the coast and just need one more for the trip up. Should have experience and know what they are getting into (please). Rick, PM me if you are interested. Dates are about Aug 11-14 or so.
Old 30-06-2014, 21:54   #14

hey, still got room for the trip up? sounds beautiful. im a mellow abt to be 30 year old. i have a columbia 23 in the south san francisco bay, so i have some experience but i am not experienced at offshore passages. you sound competent and fair, and this sounds like the right length of trip to get my feet wet. i think you would find me respectful, eager to learn, and gladly taking care of my share of the responsibilities onboard. please, lets talk some more.

Billy
Old 01-07-2014, 09:42   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PM sent.