Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 18:57   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Annapolis, MD to Cape Canaveral, FL

I don't believe it is illegal to sail on the icw....please substantiate that assertion.
Old 27-02-2014, 19:31   #17

Boat: Island Packet 27

Never heard of that myself...well, because its not true of course.
Old 27-02-2014, 19:33   #18

I don 't agree with the gentleman who suggested to go outside. Not this time of the year with regular storms, and especially not off Cape Hatteras.
ICW isn't that bad, take at least two more crew so everyone gets plenty of relief from steering. If your draft is too deep for Dismal Swamp you can probably make it through the Virginia Cut. Also get BoatUs Gold Towing and a Fortress ketch anchor when, not if, you run aground.
Especially in a new boat you can stop along the way and get parts to fix what will inevitably break.
Get Skipper Bob's Guide to Anchorages.
Old 27-02-2014, 20:07   #19

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I don't think it's illegal to sail the ICW, but it's rarely possible/practible. We sailed across the Albemarle and in a portion of the Neuse R. I don't know what you draw, but we got through the Dismal Swamp with 6'; the water depth isn't an issue, but there is debris (branches, logs) so you hit a few speed-bumps. Frankly it's a bit oversold - there's not a lot to see. It is pretty awesome that it exists almost solely for recreational boaters - if we don't use it we could lose it.
This time of year is very quiet; generally easy finding a berth; water might be off in the Chesapeake, but generally available south of Norfolk.
A good guide is invaluable, and activecaptain.com is a recommended resource.
Old 27-02-2014, 20:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

I make typos too. But I think you meant a kedge anchor. .. unless you use it on a ketch. .
Old 28-02-2014, 07:31   #21

Boat: Tartan 34C

If i might offer a couple of responsive thoughts, as someone who lives on the ICWW and spends time sailing in the approximate center of the distance to be covered in this trip. First, i support your idea of heading south now. It's not that cold; it's all about dressing properly. As the Norwegians say, "there's no bad weather, only bad clothing." Bring plenty of layers for top and bottom. I just spent the weekend out sailing last weekend, and it was marvelous. Given, i was dressed for it.
As to the debate whether the ICWW or outside is more challenging or more dangerous, seems to me that the ICWW is more tedious, and requires more constant attention, and that you may run aground, but that you are not going to get into any life threatening situations, as one might off shore. I don't think the navigational challenges in the ICWW are particularly tough, at least in my neck of the woods--follow the markers, use a good guide re bridges and particular challenges, and try to have someone aboard with local knowledge for as much of the trip as possible. Active Captain actually is pretty useful for shoaling events and so forth. Don't try to motor the waterway at night unless it is truly necessary. I've done it, and i've done it single handed (for a few hours, not all night). It is doable, but stressful. You need a well charged spotlight or Q-beam to find the markers ahead to aid you in staying in the channel, and intelligent use of them so as to mess up your night vision as little as possible (though, obviously, you aren't going to have much between spotlight blasts).

My two cents. Fair winds! On, and speaking of winds, i have never heard that sailing in the ICWW is illegal. I've done it. It requires just the right wind, since there is no room to tack (the only time i've run aground in the ICWW was when i was trying to tack south from Wrightsville Beach to Carolina Beach--worked for a while, but i finally pushed it too hard!).
Old 28-02-2014, 07:40   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the toughest thing for us (on the ICW) was discovering the draw bridge names so we could call them for an opening. usually we just described the boat and they responded. sometimes they would not answer unless we knew the right name. get a good chartplotter and you are golden
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30   #23

Boat: Tartan 34C

TDC--i sent you a PM expressing interest. Jim
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I agree with Paul Annapolis: as a general rule of thumb, it is a far easier trip outside with less stress and dangers than on the inside. And, why would a sailor prefer to motor when he/she can sail? I avoid the Intercoastal whenever possible unless there is a necessary/important reason to be there(fueling, dangerous weather, supplies, etc.). Pick your weather window carefully, stay west of the stream and go outside. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43   #25

Hi friends
Sorry for the delay in responding here, had to have a medical issue fixed
That will be the topic of a future post. A little background
Returned to sailing after a 20 plus year layoff. (Boat back then was 27' Erickson
Tiller Atomic 4) First long cruise after returning
was the trip being discussed here.
I was on a Jenneau 45 Sun Oddesy, Brand New, Starting at Riverside NJ
The owner
Was asked to stop at the Annapolis Boat
show to participate in the
"Take the Wheel Program" where we took groups out twice a day and let them get some helm time. As part of this arrangement and for insurance reasons
They but a Licensed CG Captain on board as the captain.
I'm sorry but I don,t recall this fellows last name but his first name was "Doug"
In discussing the rest of our trip it was this gentlemen who informed me about
The illegal nature of sailing in the ICW, it was wrapped up in a discussion
Of right of way in restricted water with limited maneuvering room, stand on stand off, and running aground.
That's the best I can do for the source of this info. I apologize
If I have spread any mis-information. Certainly not my intention.
I can see how sailing in the ICW would be crazy to be illegal
Like the whole Chesapeake and Albarmarle. But in some of the narrow channels
like the Virgina Cut sailing would be impossible while maintaining the ability
To observe the rules of road
Once again I apologize if I have spread any misinformation
And am quit happy that it was pointed out here
It's what make the collective wisdom here so valuable
Happy & Safe Sailing to All
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58   #26

I'm ready to. Appox. your age and some experience. Bruce 804-313-5022.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31   #27

If you want to go within the next three weeks I can help crew. PM me.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49   #28
TDC

Thank you all for the information and offers to help. Posting from phone so I am behind on returning all of the PMs but want to state I have filled the positions. Thanks again.

Tags
annapolis