Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 14:28   #1

Anguilla/Antigua/West Indies to US in November

Throwing this out there early.

I'm crewing on a friend's boat from Maine - Anguilla. We're starting out Oct. 1st (weather permitting, of course), trying to get there in a month. Then I'll be with the boat for a couple weeks before trying to find a boat headed back to the US. The person whose boat I am headed down on has offered to fly me home to New Orleans but if I can find a boat I would much prefer to sail. Anyone headed back to the US around mid-late November? Obviously it's hard to know exactly when but my schedule is flexible once we get down there. We will be based in St. Martin but I should be able to fly anywhere nearby if we line up something solid. I have been told that there can be issues with transferring crew from one boat to another so we would need to figure that out beforehand.
That's the logistics, now the essentials.

I'm male, in my mid-twenties, fairly experienced at sea. I grew up on a sailboat and recently put in 2,000 miles on my own 28' boat, will have another 2,000 sea miles by the time I get to the W. Indies. And I don't get seasick!(well, very, very rarely).

As for my wants, I'm flexible in just about every way, save a couple things. On a passage like this I would want the boat to be passably seaworthy, and I'm not sure how to say this without sounding snarky, but I'm not really interested in crewing on a boat where passagemaking tends to consist of waiting for settled weather and then motoring across. Other than that, I'm totally open and I'm happy with most ports on the US south of, say, Georgia.
Old 28-10-2013, 14:57   #2

Re: Anguilla/Antigua/West Indies to US in November

Bump. We're only just leaving Bermuda so a mid-late November or December departure from the Caribbean would probably be better. I'm also interested in crewing if there is a boat headed to Haiti. Thanks!
Old 28-10-2013, 16:49   #3

Hi

I have a Hans Christian 33 in Puerto Rico that I'll be
sailing along with another gentleman back to Texas if you
are interested!
We would leave at the end of November via Jamaica, Caymans, Islas
Mujeres, Galveston. OR Puerto Rico, turk & Caicos, cayman, Islas Mujeres to Galveston.

Would like to be back in Texas before the 21 of December

Let me know
Old 11-11-2013, 11:40   #4

Sorry for the slow reply, we've been sailing. I've actually had a bit of a change of plans, due to changes at home I am trying to get back more quickly. Will be here with the boat another two weeks or so and then unless I am lucky enough to find someone making a more-or-less direct passage back to US I will end up flying. I hope you have a great trip!

Tags
Anguilla, Antigua