Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2009, 16:45   #1

Boat: Potter 19, Serenity
Advice on finding a crew position?

Okay, I realize that most people wait until they are retired and having money to live the cruising life.

Well, with the way the economy is, a young person is going to have a tough time in the career path of life, let alone trying to save up to cruise.

I would like to skip that middle part- I would like to find a job in the caribbean (Well, somewhere warm, anyway!) sailing. I've been sailing for about 12 years, and I love it, even the grimy parts.

I'm currently getting my MMD, and possibly my PADI certification, just to have.

I am a woman, but I'm a hard worker - I'm not just looking to get a tan. Though, of course, I wouldn't say no to one!

Any suggestions?
.~^~ ^~ /_|__\~^~ ~^~...Need a hand on your cruiser?
~^~^ ~ '======' ~^ ~^~
..take me with you! I'm
small
..~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~ ~^

Old 15-02-2009, 17:10   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome Thegirlis!
Many people are trying to skip the middle part. You have a head start with the Potter 19. Remember some people never make it to retirement. You have to make your decisions and learn to live with them. I moved south and do not make any money because of my profession. I am told the beach and the palm trees are free. Well now they charge to get on the beach with a car. I would love to have a job that is 9 to 5 with weekends off and scads of holidays. Are there ways to skip the middle part? Yes, but they are scarey. No job security! No regular paychecks! No health insurance! The panacea for the last twenty years was to buy real estate, stocks, or enroll in 401K plans. Still people will tell you this is only a temporary financial crisis. Who knows? If I owned a 19 foot boat and was not married, I would be a little more daring than I am. I am looking forward to a monthly retirement check and no health insurance. No I am not healthy anymore. There are jobs available for qualified people in all fields. It just depends on how little you want to make and how cheaply you live. Competitive market! I guess that is why foreigners end up with much money and are able to buy businesses. I have a friend that has millions but only an eighth grade education. He is a hard worker and works long hours. It is up to you.

John
Old 15-02-2009, 17:35   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Maybe someone wants help to get out of here right now?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ike-23541.html
Old 16-02-2009, 01:32   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Well...If you find that great job...see if they are hiring for more positions. The economy is bad everywhere from what I hear. I'm fortunate to have all my toys and housing paid off. People laughed at me 4 years ago when I told people it was a bubble when Real estate was rising 10% a month here.
Have you thought of Southern Ca. as a sail instructor for Women?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-02-2009, 16:58   #5

Boat: Potter 19, Serenity
Oh, I'm not looking for a great job, or even really a good job I'm looking for a boat job!

In a year or two I will be graduating college, and I will be debt free! (Hurray for actually working through college and not partying) Unfortunately, I will be entering into a terrible economic climate.

I would like to sail around for a couple of years or so. Not making a whole lot of money, but not spending a whole lot of money. Like someone said in another post, if I'm going to be unemployed, I may as well be somewhere warm and beautiful! Live like a sailor - I'm no stranger to not having much.

I'm no stranger to long work days - fourteen hour days are a regular occurrence in my work week.
.~^~ ^~ /_|__\~^~ ~^~...Need a hand on your cruiser?
~^~^ ~ '======' ~^ ~^~
..take me with you! I'm
small
..~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~ ~^