Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 14:32   #1

Arrow 36yr old looking for a complete change

I am tired of the same old same old. I'm looking for a big change. I was going to buy a sailboat and plan on living on it forever, sailing around to new places, but I figured I would try and get some actual experience before making that leap.

I've browsed some sites, seen lots of good ads, but nothing really fits. Here's what I want to find...

Someone who has a boat (27' or bigger preferably)
Someone who doesn't smoke
Someone who is not grumpy and who likes to laugh
Someone who does not have a bunch of drama following them
Someone who is not in a mad rush to get somewhere
Someone who is not really messy
Someone who is not judgemental

I am very easy going, I'm not annoying, I'm not opinionated, I am kind to others, I have a great sense of humor, I am college educated, I am pretty handy, mechanically inclined (worked on several of my past cars and motorcycles), I have no medical issues. While I have no sailing experience, I have a decent amount of power boating experience.

I don't care how old you are. I am 36 and I have many good friends who are 55+ and we get along great. I don't care where you are from (as long as you speak English).

It doesn't matter how long the trip is, eventually I'd be buying my own boat...unless we become such good friends and want to just sail the world in your boat.

If any of this interests you, let's start up a dialogue and see if we could get along. I'm in Virginia

-Matt
Old 09-04-2012, 14:57   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: 36yr old looking for a complete change

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersmith2017 View Post
I am very easy going, I'm not annoying, I'm not opinionated,

Doesn't sound like it from list

I don't care how old you are. I am 36 and I have many good friends who are 55+ and we get along great. I don't care where you are from (as long as you speak English).

Hey at 52 I'm a kid
Ah the great initial dreamer post. Don't get me wrong I hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00   #3

Hmm...looking back at it, you appear to be correct. I guess I was listing the perfect person and not the realistic person. Yes, it was a "dreamer" post...so I might as well dream the perfect dream right?

It's probably never going to happen anyway, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. You never know until you try.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

one thing you didn't mention,have you got the $1000+ dollars a month to support your self?
Old 15-04-2012, 18:38   #5

email your availability
plan to sail from Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston SC end of April 2012
This is unpaid position - will supply food etc.
Sail in Gulfstream to top of Florida , then coastwise or ICW to Charleston. need two + me to man tiller
Boat 30' aux. sloop , diesel engine, roller furling Jib. Head, Galley
I have 40+ years sailing.
Retired dentist, union stage hand (IATSE local 500) easy going, you have to be to be a sailor.
PM me if interested.
Old 22-04-2012, 20:23   #6

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Matt,

Take drbob2012 up on his opportunity. Take the cheap flight to Lauderdale and either drive, take Amtrak, or sail back if you can find someone departing Charleston for a destination north. If that doesn't work out (or after your trip) send me a message. I am a year or two older than you and share your vision. I have a boat on the Chesapeake and have a small contingent of guys "our age" who join me frequently on the water. I'm also from Virginia (northern Virginia). Mariners have been sailing the seven seas for centuries with little to no money. . . if you're creative and cool, you can make it happen.

C.
Old 25-04-2012, 13:39   #7

Hey Goodintheory...I'm headed out to the Deale, MD area tomorrow. Are you at your boat tomorrow lunchtime?
Old 28-04-2012, 06:15   #8

Matt, I have a friend with a 44 ft. yacht in Venice Florida. He is looking to leave in the next 10-12 days to sail to Halifax Nova Scotia. He is looking for crew, and they must pay their own way. He is a non smoker, 47 yr. old, and easy going. If interested, PM me.
Old 28-04-2012, 16:52   #9

Looking for a ride ( I can crew) from Bermuda to Azores....any one here know about any conections?
Old 28-08-2012, 03:57   #10

Hi,
If you're still available, get in touch by PM. I'm in the process of purchasing a cat for circumnavigation. Interested?
Tim
Old 28-08-2012, 04:57   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

People, I can see that no one has read the sticky "Read Before Posting". Do not post your email address in the clear. Spammers pick this up with their bots, and you will be sorry. Make initial contact by PM -- you can exchange email addresses safely like that.
Old 29-08-2012, 06:14   #12

Boat: Beneteau 36S7

Hi Matt
My wife and I fit your criterion except the fast part. We would like to make a coastal passage from NY to Florida non stop. One exception to avoid Hatteras is to use inland from Norfolk to Beauford. It will be a great experience. Leaving around Oct. 7.
Vic