Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 13:37   #1

Boat: Nautitech Prout Something French
Send a message via Yahoo to blondezilla
1-2 Adult Crew (novice OK) Michigan 2 Florida July/Aug

I suppose I should start posting for this now.
We lost our home to fire and have decided to buy a yacht and move to Florida. Michigan economy is circling the drain and we've decided not to go down with it.
We are taking the Great Loop down. (Google The Great Loop Map) Will be a long trip as we are not in any hurry. Think 6 knots and maybe 100 miles on a really good day. We plan to stop and get our drink on here and there, and really just rip up the schedule.
Think adventure.
We will be leaving from the Detroit Area Lake Erie late July or August and ending up in Titusville Florida. Titusville is a small town on the space coast with low crime, nice people, close to freeways, and its pretty big so we understand they have lots of boats for sale there. Cocoa beach is close-the surfing is great, its also notorious for its extremely low hurricane rate.
Rent is also pretty cheap there and there seem to be plenty of jobs you can slide right into.
However, if all goes really, really well, and we feel froggy we might tour the keys and the entire coast down. You can be dropped off at any port along the way, or if you aren't dead broke and useful, you are welcome to join us as well. Wouldn't that be a great adventure?
We are looking for one crew member/or a couple (that gets along) to help with expenses, diesel-food-marina costs. Diesel is 4.50 a gallon give or take and marina costs vary.
You don't really need sailing (not a sailboat) experience--but must be willing to learn and preform. Must be able to take anchor watches(can break free at night and boat can end up anywhere), cook, clean up after everyone without being asked, help wash boat, and maintain a healthy attitude at all times, whether captain is cranky or not.
Your criminal record will be checked. DUI, pot, etc ok, but no theft, drug trafficking or violence whatsoever.
Smokers ok, but absolutely no smoking below deck, only fly bridge with captain. Smoking is not allowed anywhere else, unless captain changes his mind for the night, because if you burn my new boat you walk the plank. Seriously though, a cigarette can burn the boat down and honestly its not worth laying awake at night wondering if someone fell asleep with a cigarette. I will take it personally if anyone smokes below deck or burns anything. So don't do it, period.
Must be able to handle your alcohol. We will leave you at port if you prove to be unruly, psychotic, or just a general pain in the ass. Seriously, we will. Also if you do something stupid and land yourself in jail, this is your problem. If you get hurt--that is another story of course, we aren't heartless, just prefer to live drama free.
Must be able to become independent of the boat when we hit the final destination. Get a job, get a car, whatever, once we hit land at our final destination I should see clearly that you are initiating your plans to find other accommodations ASAP...you need another plan.
Absolutely no lying. If you have issues with telling the truth, or your tales are taller than my husband, don't inquire. People who live in another reality are disturbing.

I know this ad may seem kind of uptight, but we know what we are looking for and these things we cannot bend on. We want so much for this trip to be fun, adventurous, and as drama free as possible.
Husband is a marine mechanic, so breakdowns won't be too much of an issue. Just shipping parts which might cause layovers, boat is pretty new--won't jinx it by saying unlikely..LOL But he is happy to teach anyone everything he knows. At the end of the trip you will be able to captain, park, and fix or at least know the name of just about everything on the boat.
If you fall inlove with a port along the way and want to stay, go for it. We will miss you, but we won't get upset.
What you do at shore is your business, but do not bring trouble, drugs, police, or skanks back to the boat.
We like to meet new people and party, but my yacht is not your love-shack--a big reason we aren't bringing the people we already know..LOL
Pack lite! Swimsuits and a few changes of clothes and some cherished possessions, along with personal care items, laptop, books. You will have your own cabin, but some of the storage area might be needed for boat things. Craigslist is a good way to get rid of the things you cannot take, and I'm serious--if you show up with furniture and the like--you just aren't getting what I am saying here. The lighter the better-you can't take any of it with you when you die. You can always have things freighted to someone down there already.
There is laundry on board. We will be staying close to shore at all times, so getting supplies won't be a problem.
No strangers left alone on boat at any time. We will not know you at first, don't take offense and don't blame us if you don't get a set of keys while we are at shore. It's not personal, we just don't know you yet. Someone will always be happy to accompany you back to the boat to get what you need.
You will have your own bathroom, but it should be understood that sometimes circumstances make it necessary for someone else to use it...ie coffee in the AM.
If you get seasick, or don't know if you do, by all means get the patches, its horrible once it comes on and it can stay for days--see Deadliest Catch Film Crew on Youtube. Eeek again.
This is ideal for someone who maybe lost their job here in Michigan and want to relocate to a warmer climate, took an auto buyout, want to dip into their meager savings account for the adventure of a lifetime, maybe newly divorced, or just an adventurer. Certified captains are welcome too.
Oh what fun we will have.
If you plan to get back home, that is completely on you, but I do recommend Spirit Airlines for their frequent 9 dollar fares. 150 gets you both ways to most places.

We are not rich by any means, we lost everything we owned in the fire, so the boat won't be too loaded down. We just decided to buy a yacht with our insurance money instead of rebuilding after seeing our waterfront home lose over half its value in two years. Eeek. So we will not be living large in port. We won't be buying your beer, and are happy to share meals, but you must contribute to groceries.

Anything else I forgot?
Oh yeah, single females OK! I am not the jealous type being a 6ft blond myself, but it should be understood--my husband is pretty hot, (mitts off) has long hair, is Italian, and on occasion can think he is God's gift to the female population... Crap--hope he doesn't read this... Lucy you have some splainin to do!!! Oh yeah, no crying spells, no whoa-is-me trips, don't want to hear about the abusive relationships you have been in, no crying wolf at port. If you like to fight, don't bother sending an email. I am allergic to violence, but I do love a good debate. Please consider getting the Diva Cup rather than t-pons as they reduce garbage among other things and just make sense for the environment--especially when living on a boat.

Single guys are great too. Absolutely no hitting on me, and God forbid don't hit on the husband. (yes that was a joke, kinda) Must clean up after yourself I am the worst housekeeper in history. I take it personally when people leave beer cans and their crap all over. Again no skanks. Good hygiene is a must. Must have a fishing license if you want to fish. Not getting boat taken over something stupid and a DNR guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Couples should get along well, know how to avoid confrontation, not air their dirty laundry, not ask for our opinions on their relationship, and when you must argue, do it off the boat. Morale is a contagious thing and can be passed from one crew member to the others. Please know when it is just better to let things go. There are three decks and is always possible to remove yourself from a bad vibe. Try not to be too loud when you uhh...well you get it... play the radio or something LOL

I snore loudly

We have been married 7 years, and get along extremely well. He likes his Michelob Light and it would be really great if we had someone who could help drive sothe captain could have a few brewskis and still make time down south. You know and break up the monotony of just he and I as we have heard all of our stories and know all of our jokes... We are both 33-well wait I guess he is 34 and by the time we leave I will be too.

Most all ages welcome, but not willing to raise anyone who is fresh out of mommy and daddy's house.. eeek. You must at least have lived on your own for a relative amount of time, paid bills, had a car, a job, know how to avoid fights (because they are rarely worth the trouble) and confrontation, and understand how life works and also how it doesn't.

Anyway, think about it...

Myspace
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Say hi!

"Poverty is the birthplace of revolution."
Old 08-05-2008, 13:50   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
blondezilla,

Good luck on your hunt for crew. I am sure you will find able people. I used my son, I am old enough to have a married one, and his father-in-law. They made a great crew and I could trust them. Trust is very important in a crew. They still talk about the trip. I would revise your 100 mile a day leg because 100/6 = 16+ hours a day on the water. It might sound doable but they can be grueling days. We left at 6 A.M. and did 6 knots and did not arrive until after dark one night. We also found marinas are not open after 5 P.M. What fun, when the showers, washers, dryers, and bathrooms are locked. We started planning out day from 6 A.M. until 4 P.M. because of the marinas' hours. We also found a cellphone handy to call ahead to the marina to see if there was any space. We were surprised by one boat clubs outing to what I thought was an out of the way place.
John
Old 08-05-2008, 14:05   #3

Boat: Nautitech Prout Something French
Send a message via Yahoo to blondezilla
LOL
Thanks so much for the tips. Yeah pretty sure I said 100 miles on a very good day. I am sure that will be rare but you know when your on it and it feels good sometimes you just go for it. Boating that is... (shakes head)
The vessel is completely self sufficient so marina closing won't be an issue as long as the bars stay open... Yee haw. We haven't met a marina yet that isn't ok with you showing up after hours as long as you plan to pay, and I never understood why people think its horrible if they are full. There is always the anchor, whats a few hours when your yachting?
Great tip about the hours, though I believe everyone else is on those hours too. Driving at night isn't a big woop for us, we do it all the time, but with all systems working and spotlight of course.
Planning on having a lot of fun and not going crazy with schedule and speed. There is a lot I want to see and a lot I want to do. It will be feel incredible being out from under our mortgage and all those bills and be free on the sea.
I like to think I am a pretty good judge of character and have absolutely no qualms about telling someone look its not working out you are going to have to find another way home because you are proving to be a (insert adjective here).
Trust me... (wink)

Myspace
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Say hi!

"Poverty is the birthplace of revolution."
Old 08-05-2008, 14:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondezilla
… Will be a long trip as we are not in any hurry. Think 6 knots and maybe 100 miles on a really good day…
… We are looking for one crew member/or a couple (that gets along) to help with expenses, diesel*-food-marina costs*…
…. He likes his Michelob Light and it would be really great if we had someone who could help drive soothe (sic: South) captain could have a few brewskis and still make time down south ...
A better "guestimate" of waterway mileage might be 40-50 miles per day.

I don’t mean to be critical**, but: are you looking for free/no-cost crew (an additional “driver” & deck hand) to move your boat South, or subsidized* travel (an expense contributor)?

* Marina, Boat, & Fuel costs are almost always the Owner's responsibility.

I suspect that, in an effort to be as specific & “up-front” as you can, you’ve probably over-thought & over-written your offer.
I must say that I prefer an over-written post (like yours), to one which say "what should I do", without providing any criteria.

Old 08-05-2008, 14:17   #5
cruiser

Good posting. You are already doing well in describing exactly what you like and don't like.

I lost my entire house to a fire (they saved the cellar/basement!) when I was 16. I know how tough that can be. I think you are making a wise decision regarding the Detroit area.

Best of luck finding crew!
Old 08-05-2008, 15:45   #6

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Blondezilla--Watch the intracoastal waterway at night. It is hard enough seeing pilings floating in the water after a storm. I have seen dock lumber and barrels just waiting to be hit. Mile markers are routinely damaged by tugs pushing the barges. Trying to anchor is some spots is a big no, no! Independent fishermen utilizing small boats fish the backwaters from dusk to dawn. These fisherman launch at numerous boatramps and use the intracoastal to get to their fishing locations. The crab traps are a real pain. I fowled my prop and had to cut the line. I was within 1/2 mile of being home and had to call Sea Tow. Like you I am selfcontained but the general rule is, you do not run the intracoastal at night. I wish you the best on your adventure. I wish I had the time to join you all. Pleasant motoring! Enjoy, enjoy,enjoy
John
Old 21-05-2008, 22:08   #7

Is this postion still avaible?
Old 14-06-2008, 16:46   #8

please contact me if you still need to fill the position
Old 21-06-2008, 13:54   #9

Hey Blondezella,

I think my Fiance (for 13 years) and I are just what your looking for! We are contractors for Telecommunications and are in between jobs. Until recentley we were the proud owners of a 33 ft CSY sailboat. We want to buy a new boat but decided to wait until after hurricaine season. We get along great and are fun loving people. As you know gas on a sailboat is much cheaper!! I was wondering what kind of boat you have. Please let me know if you are still looking...Thanks

Tags
florida