Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 17:48   #1

YOUNG PUNK LOOKING FOR WESTERLY CENTAUR

Hello my name is Alan, and I NEED a boat. For the last 6 years I have been researching what it takes to be a live aboard sailor. After many delusions of grandeur I think I'm ready to get the ball rolling on this. I used to think I wanted some outlandish 40 boat, but as I've grown older ( I'm 27 ) I've shifted my way of thinking. I'm a pocket cruiser kind of guy. I figure the smaller the boat the longer and farther I can sail. I'm and currently working in a restoration shop that only does pre 68 VW's. That being said I'm a very handy guy, so can handle a project boat. Not looking for a big project, but a little TLC doesn't scare me. My dream boat would be a Westerly Centaur If you know where one is sitting please let me know. I've been scouring the internet pretty religiously for them, and there is a lot. Seems like a lot of high prices, or I don't get responses. Talked to a guy about a month ago that said he had just sold it for $3000, and it was in pretty good shape. Heck the guy sailed it away. That would be a great price to score one for. I need to get my hands on one ASAP so I can spend a year customizing it to fit my needs. Not to mention I've been living in a 68 VW bus for over a year now and would consider a sailboat quite an upgrade.
Old 02-09-2013, 18:00   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: YOUNG PUNK LOOKING FOR WESTERLY CENTAUR

CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
This one right?

There is one in Watergate Marina, Clear Lake, Texas. It has sat for years so not sure the shape she is in. My friend owned her 15 years ago when we were in our 20s, fun boat, she lived aboard quite comfy. It had an old seagull engine on the stern, not sure what it has now. Call the marina office ( 281 334-1511) I think it is on pier 17, fifth on right..? Just ask them to pass a message to the owner that you might be interested in buying her.
Old 02-09-2013, 18:49   #3

Boat: Beneteau 323
Keep your chin up. I met a family of four living on one in Georgetown, MD. The paid $1000 for it plus lots of sweat equity. Happy as clams.
Old 02-09-2013, 22:49   #4

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Good luck with the search, although with their good name, and a new article released just this year in the magazine about their sea worthlyness, they are no secret. I went shopping for one, and ended up purchasing one out of England. I did see one in nice shape, but not blue-water ready in and around North Carolina, but no where near the numbers you are looking at.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Might want to mention your location - if you don't know already, buying at a distance and then relocating (by sea or by road) really racks the costs up, same for cheaper and older as it is for expensive and newer (indeed by sea can often be more expensive as likely more things that need working on before departure).....and a lot of those costs are "you" (in time and also travel / accommodation costs both in purchase and pre-departure work).

Not to say "don't" - but eyes wide open before buying a "deal" 3,000 miles away! (or even 300).
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32   #6

I'm sure I'll find one, just might have to spend more then I was hoping. As far as distance I'm not too concerned. I'm currently in Colorado so I realize I'll have quite a haul no matter where I find one. Lucky for me they fit on a trailer, and I love road trips. I've also got customers and friends all over the country that are willing to lend a helping hand.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

got a macwester 26 in cornwall if you are interested,fully reffitted,ready for a rtw, just need to put food and fuel on,great time to leave for the caribean from falmouth uk

see

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
Old 08-09-2013, 15:52   #8
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

scour your local marinas for free boats.
took me 5 min to find this site again, enjoy!
How to Get a Free Yacht
Old 08-09-2013, 16:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: YOUNG PUNK LOOKING FOR WESTERLY CENTAUR

This is for sale in Oriental, NC....
The Westerly Centaur is a renowned pocket cruiser designed by L. Giles & Partners in England. The Centaur has surprising accommodations. She sleeps 5 and offers a minimum of 6 ft standing headroom throughout. Her twin bilge keels and 3 foot draft are a gunkholer's dream. She has good storage and a full length cockpit. Realistic owner - ready to sell.

Features and Equipment Include:

- Yanmar 20hp 3 cylinder diesel (3GMD)
- Sloop Rig
- Two batteries (New 1/12)
- Standard Horizon VHF, knot meter, depth sounder
- Fortress FX11 anchor with nylon rode and chain
- Cockpit bimini
- Enclosed Head with holding tank
- Two burner alcohol stove
- Sleeps 6 adults - 6 ft headroom throughout
- Cockpit cushions
- New upholstery
- New headliner
- Sails in excellent condition

Call 252-249-1078. Reduced to $5,500.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 08-09-2013, 16:58   #10

Inspired by B and E and kids on their Westerly, I said to my wife " How about we trade our PSC 34 for this Westerley and be $80k ahead?"

She said "Let's make a deal. I won't ask you for a bigger boat if you don't ask me for a smaller boat."

My mouth is now full of foot and quiet.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20   #11

I went and looked at that Centaur in Oriental. It's in pretty good condition. The diesel started right up. This was last summer and he was asking more than I wanted to pay at the time. The owner is an older gentleman...very nice...who runs the bed and breakfast in Oriental. I think the B&B is for sale now too.
Old 09-09-2013, 17:41   #12

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Inspired by B and E and kids on their Westerly, I said to my wife " How about we trade our PSC 34 for this Westerley and be $80k ahead?"

She said "Let's make a deal. I won't ask you for a bigger boat if you don't ask me for a smaller boat."

My mouth is now full of foot and quiet.
I don't know Shane , she might have to come onboard. These things put most thirty footers to shame for interior living and storage space. Don't hate me if you end up with frig envy though....just sayin'

Btw, one up on the Bohemia could be had for a song, or fifty bucks.

Oh, and yup we are happy as four lil clams!
Old 09-09-2013, 18:07   #13

Got solar envy already. 500+ watts on a 26 footer is somethig amazing.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30   #14

While not a Centaur, there is a Westerly Cirrus in Ohio on ebay right now.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Great little boats. I owned one for 7 years.

A few things to be aware of when looking at them:

There were 3 different internal layouts made. The earliest version featured two quarter births, which meant minimal cockpit lazarette space.

The earlier versions had a side stay attached above the window, the stress of which tend to break the seal causing leaky windows.

Look at the keel bolts as well as the keel to hull joint. If they are terribly corroded, that's not an easy fix.

Iboats and boattrader are a couple sites to look at when searching.