Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 09:14   #1

Boat: 1976,Irwin 37 CC, Blue Bayou
WTB: Whisker Pole

Looking for a used 2" Whisker Pole with a twist lock.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 27-07-2009, 13:05   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 Center Cockpit MKV
Mike,
Doesn't that seem too small? Forespar recommends a 3.5" for anything over 35'. I also have an Irwin 37CC and am looking for a whisker pole but I have read stories of guys bending the poles and having to replace them. They always recommended error on the larger side. Are you planning to only use this in very light air?
Old 30-07-2009, 08:34   #3

Boat: 1976,Irwin 37 CC, Blue Bayou
Wisker Pole

Rick,
You very well might be right, I've never used one and I am like a babe in the woods. I am hoping to find one that isn't too high in price. If you here of one and they got a additional spairs let me know & I'll do the same for you.

Take Care,

Mike
Old 30-07-2009, 10:17   #4

Boat: Irwin 37 Center Cockpit MKV
Okay good luck to you. You may want to join the Irwin Owners Blog on Irwinsailboats@yahoogroups.com It's made up of Irwin owners all over the country and is monitored by Gene Gammon who used to work for Ted Irwin back in the day. He and the rest of the group has lots of helpful advise plus pictures of lots of Irwins with the upgrades and refits they have already done over the years. There's about 10-20 e-mails of chatter per day which is not too demanding of time to read. There is a gal in the system now looking for a whisker pole and they all gave her lots of ideas. Based on what they are recommending I can say your 2" pole will likely work okay. They say to mount a fixed ring to the mast since the moving track type are too expensive and really only need the adjustment if you are flying a spinnaker.

I have a cutter rig but the staysail was cut down so small it's useless to me now + the owner lost the staysail boom so I removed the baby stay and plan to use the mounting ring aloft to attach a block for a toping lift. You would be well advised to plan on having a toping lift to take the weight of the pole while setting it.
If you use a fixed ring on the mast , attach the pole to the ring, swing it out with the toping lift and attach it to the sheet (not the clue ring) of the jib while the jib is still rolled up. Then go back to the cockpit and deploy the jib with the pole attached to the active sheet and sheet it off when the shape is right.

One of the bloggers said he has never seen his VMG (Velocity made good) improve enough running wing and wing to justify using a pole. He said going on broad reaches just enough to keep the jib full and jibing is faster and less hassle. He said it would only make sense if making a long passage in the trades for days and never having to worry about jibing the boat.

My issue now is the 1st mate (wife) is not experienced enough at the help to keep her pointed dead down wind while I'd be at the bow hooking everything up. I have an auto pilot but my 100 ton license buddy said that it would be fine until it sees the first wave. It would steer the boat wildly until it gets back on track, this would likely jibe the boom and so is not an option either. I’ll have to wait till my mate is a better helmsperson before I think about adding a pole.

Hope you have success finding and rigging one up.

Fair winds and following seas

Rick
S/V Footprints