Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 09:10   #1

Wheel drive autopilot

I'm looking for options for wheel drive autopilots. The boat is a 37 Irwin. Anybody got anything for sale?
Old 20-08-2015, 10:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Wheel drive autopilot

I'd look for a CPT, doubt any other wheel pilot could handle that boat in any kind of significant sea.
Old 20-08-2015, 10:49   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Shouldn't this be labeled as "wanted to buy" instead of "for sale" ?
Old 20-08-2015, 12:28   #4

Yeah, it definitely should be and I intended to....musta fat fingered it on the phone. Pretty sweet first post, huh? I'm trying to edit now.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Fixed
Old 20-08-2015, 12:47   #6

Thank you, kindly.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd look for a CPT, doubt any other wheel pilot could handle that boat in any kind of significant sea.
CPT is definitely on my list. I'm not planning much more than light coastal cruising with this boat and I'm hoping not to be involved with any sort of significant sea in it. That being said, I'm open to all options to take the wheel for a few minutes while I make a sandwich, hit the head, or crank in a fish.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

You are looking for an autopilot just to use for a few minutes at a time? And you don't plan on any heavy weather? I am not sure about either of those plans, but posting your comment as such and then asking "anyone got anything for sale?" is not really helpful for you or us trying to help you. If you want a used autopilot, look elsewhere on CF under classifieds or on other online forums or sites that specifically buy and sell boating gear. (Maybe call Bacons in Annapolis?) But I do agree with the other poster that has suggested your boat is perhaps too large (could be borderline or marginal) for a wheel autopilot. You say you are looking for options. That's what I'd suggest.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:10   #9

Maybe my original post was unclear. I'm not really seeking advice (although it is always appreciated), I am looking for an autopilot to purchase, hence the now-corrected WTB post in the classified section. I understand that the boat is of a size that a wheel pilot might be only marginally effective in rough seas or for extended periods, but those conditions are not what I am intending to use it for. I'm looking for basically the mechanical equivalent to the buddy you hand the wheel off to and say "keep it pointed towards the middle of that island over there while I make a sandwich. Try not to kill us."
Old 20-08-2015, 13:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Well, you say you are not looking for advice (although you say it is always appreciated...), but if it were me...I would suggest to my friend at the wheel not to point to the middle of an island if I were that worried. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on an autopilot while being away from the wheel or on a friend I was not sure about trusting. I hope you find the items you are seeking.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:51   #11

You know, Paul, your previous reply had me wondering if I had violated some sort of unwritten Cruisers Forum code that I, as a new guy, wouldn't be privy to or if you are just a typical forum busy-body. I decided to spend a few moments reading through some of your past replies and found that the majority of your responses here are fairly condescending bullying remarks on new people or those asking questions you deem to have been already suitably answered. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that in real life, you're probably a pretty decent guy. So, like you hope that I find the parts I am seeking, I hope that you'll take a few minutes for some self-reflection, maybe scan through some of your accumulated posts, and ask yourself, whether this is the type of reputation you want to be cultivating, why you feel the need to behave this way, and if you would want to be your own friend, based on the things you post online.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:59   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have two Raymarine 4000 plus, X5 wheel drives and a compass if you want to do it piece meal or buy a backup. $200 for the drives. Make me an offer for the compass. The Raymarine wheel pilot works fine for powering. Will also work under sail if your helm loads aren't too heavy.
Old 20-08-2015, 14:14   #13

I'll keep it in mind. I'm hoping to buy a whole system. If I end up piecing something together or can use your parts as spares, I'll get in touch. Thank you.
Old 21-08-2015, 03:22   #14

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28YJ View Post
You know, Paul, your previous reply had me wondering if I had violated some sort of unwritten Cruisers Forum code that I, as a new guy, wouldn't be privy to or if you are just a typical forum busy-body. I decided to spend a few moments reading through some of your past replies and found that the majority of your responses here are fairly condescending bullying remarks on new people or those asking questions you deem to have been already suitably answered. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that in real life, you're probably a pretty decent guy. So, like you hope that I find the parts I am seeking, I hope that you'll take a few minutes for some self-reflection, maybe scan through some of your accumulated posts, and ask yourself, whether this is the type of reputation you want to be cultivating, why you feel the need to behave this way, and if you would want to be your own friend, based on the things you post online.
You have not violated any unwritten code. Pretty reasonable post. I have a wheelpilot for my 36 footer and recognize its limitations and it works fine for the purpose you describe. Good luck. Might try a craigslist search, I use adhuntr.com, there are probably better ones as well.
Old 21-08-2015, 04:19   #15
Marine Service Provider

To the OP (identifies as Z28yG) . I do not believe I have done anything of which to be ashamed or embarrassed but your response to me is way out of line. You just joined and have 7 posts, and while I don't think it's worthwhile to engage in a competition with you, I've posted hundreds of replies and comments over a few years in which I am trying to be helpful and offer sound advice. Sometime my candor and direct tone upsets some folks, but I think it's better to be very clear about a potentially bad or hazardous situation that to offer palliatives. You described your situation and I suggested some options including contacting Bacons in Annapolis. Did you try that? I also suggested that your boat was marginally too big for a wheel steering (in the hopes you might consider all options) and wrote that "I hope you find the items you are seeking." While you pointedly lectured me and made disparaging comments, I did neither but what I did was try to make helpful suggestions to the "colorful" language you used, for example when you wrote, ""keep it pointed towards the middle of that island over there while I make a sandwich. Try not to kill us." My reply to your flip comments was a simple and direct "I would suggest to my friend at the wheel not to point to the middle of an island if I were that worried. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on an autopilot while being away from the wheel or on a friend I was not sure about trusting." I stand by that simple and direct advice and hope you will take it in the helpful manner it was intended and leave it at that. You say advice is always appreciated. And I do hope you find the items you are seeking.

Tags
autopilot, wheel