Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2011, 03:39   #1

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'
Westerbeke W30 Parts

I am repowering The Way, and have the following parts from the old Westerbeke W30 for sale on Ebay: Hurth transmission, starter/solenoid, alternator, regulator, glowplug, glowplug solenoid, thermostat housing, oil cooler (new, still in box), rebuilt injector pump, rebuilt injectors. Also an Atomic 4 instrument panel (from the previous repower!).

Please PM me and I'll provide links. More parts will be added for sale in a few days. All parts are in good working order. I am repowering because of compression problems that are not worth fixing in an engine that old.

For the benefit of others, here's what happened. The engine started and ran perfectly all season. One night I anchored in the Dismal Swamp Canal waiting for the morning opening of the Deep Creek Lock, and the engine wouldn't start in the morning. After trying everything I could do on board, I had to be towed back to Portsmouth, VA.

I had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt ($1,500) and the engine still wouldn't start because of low compression. I believe the root cause was much water in the tank caused by an old O-ring on the fuel-fill cap. Both the primary and secondary fuel filters were complete clogged with waxy/jelly-like goo, which I was told was the water combined with the Stabil fuel additive. This occurred only 30 hours after changing both filters.

This is a $1 problem with a $10,000 solution, so change your O-rings periodically!

Best regards,
s/v The Way
Old 26-11-2011, 08:17   #2

Re: Westerbeke W30 Parts

Idler pulley has been sold.

Additional parts for sale: Jabsco 5320-0011 raw-water pump, with 5 new impellers; Secondary fuel filter with return line (from injectors) and two new filter elements.

Thanks, and best regards,
The Way
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35   #3

Here are the Westerbeke W30 parts still available and their prices. All parts are used but in good working condition unless otherwise noted. You pay shipping from Bethesda, MD.

Injection pump (rebuilt): $799.00

Injectors (4) (cleaned and adjusted): $1,199.00

For the injectors and injection pump, I will provide invoices from Industrial Diesel, Inc., of Norfolk, VA, documenting the work done on them.

Starter and solenoid: $99.00

Westerbeke glowplug, part number 14529 (like new, used only 1 hour): $49.00

Westerbeke glowplug solenoid (needs soldering): $19.00

Voltage regulator part number 11550 (used one season): $39.00

Raw water pump (Jabsco 5320-0011), plus 5 impellers and 7 gaskets: $199.00 (a good deal just for the impellers, which are $60 each)

Secondary fuel filter and return line, plus two new filter elements: $25.00

Oil cooler (new, still in box, Trans Atlantic Diesels part number SOC-101): $89.00

Thermostat housing bronze: $49.00

Alternator: $59.00

ZF Marine Hurth Transmission (ZF10M/HBW100-3R): $399.00

Fair winds,
The Way
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22   #4

Oops, when I said the glowplug was used only 1 hour, I meant only a few seconds at a time, several tries over a 1-hour period. Then I realized the compression was shot and decided to repower.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:42   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Thanks for the good advise about the O-rings, I was just thinking the other day about them. I find it hard to believe that the bad fuel would cause low compression, but what do I know. Good luck selling your parts, I have a Westerbeke gen set, and have had problems, and expensive problems, I know the parts from them, if you can find them, are very expensive.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Thanks for the good advise about the O-rings, I was just thinking the other day about them. I find it hard to believe that the bad fuel would cause low compression, but what do I know. Good luck selling your parts, I have a Westerbeke gen set, and have had problems, and expensive problems, I know the parts from them, if you can find them, are very expensive.
Hi Rocketman,

The way it was explained to me, the water in the fuel can erode the valves, pistons, etc. Also water can increase the explosive force which can damage the head gasket and rings.

The reason I decided to repower was the cost and unavailability of W30 parts. I bought the last new injection pump in the country, and it had the wrong driveshaft, so I had to have mine rebuilt. I also got the last glowplug in the country. These parts are no longer being made.

And new injectors are $800 EACH!! For a 30-year-old engine.

The fun never stops with a Westerbeke!

Best regards,
The Way
Old 03-12-2011, 05:51   #7

I have just purchased a really nice boat with a W30 and I'm trying to gradually replace some of the "bolt on" pieces on the motor. I know you've already moved on from the Westerbeke but since the W30 is based on the BMC 1.5L diesel, I was wondering if you ever pursued parts for that motor which are drastically cheaper?
Jack

P.S. I lived in the Norfolk area for nearly 20 years some time ago and actually worked for WAVY in Portsmouth.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterjack View Post
I have just purchased a really nice boat with a W30 and I'm trying to gradually replace some of the "bolt on" pieces on the motor. I know you've already moved on from the Westerbeke but since the W30 is based on the BMC 1.5L diesel, I was wondering if you ever pursued parts for that motor which are drastically cheaper?
Jack

P.S. I lived in the Norfolk area for nearly 20 years some time ago and actually worked for WAVY in Portsmouth.
Hi Waterjack,

I thought the W30 was based on the British Leyland. Is that the same as BMC?

In any case, no, I never tried to find Leyland parts. Being British, I assumed they would probably be as unobtainable and expensive as Westerbeke. Besides, time was always an issue, and I wasn't sure of the exact engine the W30 was based on.

I'm replacing it with a Beta 28, and I know the Kubota block it's based on, so I hope to be able to find cheaper parts. And of course, I hope to need no parts except belts, hoses, and filters for some time!

(I was right around the corner from WAVY at Ocean Marine for a month!)

Fair winds,
The Way
Old 05-12-2011, 11:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
Here are the Westerbeke W30 parts still available and their prices. All parts are used but in good working condition unless otherwise noted. You pay shipping from Bethesda, MD.

Injection pump (rebuilt): $799.00

Injectors (4) (cleaned and adjusted): $1,199.00

For the injectors and injection pump, I will provide invoices from Industrial Diesel, Inc., of Norfolk, VA, documenting the work done on them.

Starter and solenoid: $99.00

Westerbeke glowplug, part number 14529 (like new, used only 1 hour): $49.00

Westerbeke glowplug solenoid (needs soldering): $19.00

Voltage regulator part number 11550 (used one season): $39.00

Raw water pump (Jabsco 5320-0011), plus 5 impellers and 7 gaskets: $199.00 (a good deal just for the impellers, which are $60 each)

Secondary fuel filter and return line, plus two new filter elements: $25.00

Oil cooler (new, still in box, Trans Atlantic Diesels part number SOC-101): $89.00

Thermostat housing bronze: $49.00

Alternator: $59.00

ZF Marine Hurth Transmission (ZF10M/HBW100-3R): $399.00

Fair winds,
The Way
The transmission has been sold.

Fair winds,
The Way
Old 05-12-2011, 15:56   #10

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Just a thought about sourcing parts. I have W30 in my Cal 34 and a W60 in my Pearson 424. When we thought we needed a new fresh water pump for the W60, it retailed for $800-880 and NOBODY in the US had one! Well, somehow we discovered the W60 had the same block as was used in the old London taxi cabs, and we got a new pump from England for $250!!! If only we knew all of the cross-overs.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:08   #11

I just purchased a new lift pump for my W30 in the same way (for a BMC 1.5L diesel). U.S. price - about $300. Price shipped from the U.K. - $53.

Ditto the Champion Ch32 glow plugs. Either NLA at most suppliers in the U.S. or $80 each for a no-name replacement. Price shipped from U.K. $118 for 4.

Jack
Old 06-12-2011, 06:27   #12

Boat: Heritage 35

Just saw this. I have also have a W30. rebuilt it 10 years ago. parts all came from the uk purchased from and through Beta marine. saved me $8,500 from Westerbeke prices. example glow plug $135.00 West. 26.00 from Beta. Piston $600. West 123 complete from beta. So contact them if parts needed or a replacement engine FWIW..
Old 12-12-2011, 04:14   #13

The glowplug has been sold.

Fair winds,
The Way
Old 14-12-2011, 12:59   #14

The injection pump and raw-water pump have been sold.

Would it be helpful to post an updated list, with pictures?

Fair winds,
The Way
Old 19-12-2011, 12:37   #15

how many teeth does the starter have could u please send pic? THXS MIKE

Tags
parts, westerbeke