Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 09:33   #1

Boat: 41' Aderyn Mor, custom steel Colvin schooner
Welded Aluminum Dinghy/Tender

I'm converting from gaff schooner to Chinese ketch so now have another three feet of space between the masts and room for a bigger dinghy. So I'm selling my welded aluminum dinghy/lifeboat and replacing her with a bigger sister. The dinghy was professionally TIG welded using marine grade 1/8" 5052 aluminum. She ain't pretty but she is the toughest and most stable little dinghy you will ever find. We've had five adults and a big dog in her in rough water with no problem and routinely load her up to the gunwhales when provisioning or watering.

About 8'4" long, just over 4' beam, high freeboard, flotation collar of 6" fenders, watertight compartments in bow and stern for flotation and survival supplies, gunter rig with dacron sail, leeboards, rudder, canopy, aluminum mast.

Roe is tremendously stable. I weigh 220lb and I can stand on the gunwhale and can't push it down to water level. She moves along nicely with a 2.5 HP Mercury (not included) and will plane with just me in the boat and a 3.3 HP. She sails fine in most directions but is a poor performer to windward. She would do better with a centerboard but I wanted to keep the interior open for lifeboat use. She rows not badly for her length and beam.

She is incredibly tough, almost indestructible. You can weld and grind while standing in her, drag her across rocky shores without a moment's thought, tie her against a nasty concrete wall, carry out anchors without worrying about putting a hole in her, use her as a tender, a tug, a work boat, a life boat, whatever. The 5052 aluminum is totally resistant to salt water corrosion and she is as good as the day she was built. $2250.

For more information and more gear for sale, go to my blog Gaff Sails For Sale

Tags
dinghy, tender