Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 14:51   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
WASHING MACHINE

Wanted Washing Machine
I am looking for a small washing machine for my Outremer 45 .WE finished our first winter aboard and we found the doing laundry a PITA so I want to fit a splendide or candy or similar .Before the comments fly'happy wife happy life I live in Toronto but the boat is in Grenada
David
Old 20-06-2015, 06:28   #2

Boat: Manta 42
Re: WASHING MACHINE

We have a Splendide and love it, we are full time live aboards, and do about three loads per week. We never use the drying function, but the spin is critical in shortening line drying times. The Splendide spin is at 1200 rpm. We hang our clothes to dry under our hard Bimini to protect from UV and only takes about 1/2 hour dry time in the Caribbean. Each load uses about 8 gallons of water.

Our friends washer on a Catana just died and we went looking for replacement and most home combo machines spin cycles are at 800 rpm for cheaper models, the shorter line drying times are well worth the added expense for higher rpm's.

Also make sure that you know what MHz your inverter and shore power will handle. I have seen other French boats that could not run their machines off shore power and had to run generators on the dock to do laundry.

Hope this helps. Not lugging laundry or trying to find the next laundromat makes cruising life a whole lot easier.

Marty
S/V True Colors
Currently St. Lucia

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
washing