Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 10:00   #31

Boat: private yacht always moving
save your money and use other peoples boat
Hitchhiker's guide on sailing and cruising yachts across the oceans of the world.

also think about woking on a private yacht as a deck hand,,,, you get to go to all the nice places,,, I have traveles 1/2 the world in 11 years on private yachts and got paid to do it

CrewUnlimited.com - Professional Crew Placement - Yacht Charter Marketing & Brokerage Firm - Crew For Yachts - Jobs For Crew - Yacht Crew Agencies - Yachts For Charter
www.elitecrew.com
Private Yacht Crew Agents | The Crew Network: International Yacht Crew Placement Agency

that money you have can go farther if you do not own your boat,,, use other peoples boats and work for free as crew on there sailboat or get paid on the yachts,,,
Old 26-07-2010, 10:39   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
I think crewing on somebody else's boat, and especially so when it is a paid job, is way different from sailing off in your own ship (small as it may be).

I did both.

Think about it as work versus holiday.

If I pay people to crew, they are supposed to work. And if they do not, that's the end of the trip for them.

If I sail my own boat then I work at my own clock and to my own orders.

Frankly, there is an ocean of difference to these two situations.

b.
Old 26-07-2010, 10:44   #33

As an afterthought:

I have seen 3 ARCs sailing off from Las Palmas. I think this can be one of the biggest 'opportunities' to crew on somebody else's boats I have seen ever (some 300 boats departing in a very timely manner, many with very inexperienced owners).

I have noticed two types of crew there: 1) pro (imported, often part of the boat package) 2) willing. The willing type you can still see hanging around the docks days and weeks after ARC's departure.

So much for hitchhiking the oceans.

Can be done - but you must build your arsenal (languages, sailing skills, cooking and maintenance) before you go. And you must have very, very strong social skills.

Nobody, except a complete ignorant, wants an ignorant crew on the passage. Why should they.

b.
Old 26-07-2010, 10:59   #34

Boat: private yacht always moving
I think crewing on somebody else's boat, and especially so when it is a paid job, is way different from sailing off in your own ship (small as it may be).
I did both.
Think about it as work versus holiday.
If I pay people to crew, they are supposed to work. And if they do not, that's the end of the trip for them.
If I sail my own boat then I work at my own clock and to my own orders.
Frankly, there is an ocean of difference to these two situations.

the OP only has 2500 dollars,,,, how much boat can you get for that and provision and such to take a trip?? not much
with the 2500 dollars IMHO he would be better off crewing for profit or free to see the world and save up more money to buy a safer yacht and travel longer 2500 dollars will not buy a sailboat and provision for an ocean voyage safely,,, out of the 2 choices above I would work and save up my money
Old 26-07-2010, 11:30   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post

(...) the OP only has 2500 dollars,,,, how much boat can you get for that and provision and such to take a trip??

(...) with the 2500 dollars IMHO he would be better off crewing for profit or free to see the world

(...)
And in my HO you have clearly not read my original response to the OP.

My post was not in direct relation to what the OP wants to achieve. It was in direct reaction to what you wrote.

And not to criticize your point of view either, as I find it sound.

My intention is only for the OP and other readers here to pay attention to other facets of crewing.

As far as I know, a passage to the West Indies is paid at around USD 1000 plus the crew pays their food. So 2500 USD is probably as much as is necessary to crew from one side of the pond to the other and back.

A paid crew is supposed to be pro and work hard. Then they get paid for the work they do.

So, either you are a pro and you get paid or you are not and you pay for the ride.

What I am trying to point at is that getting to the point of where one becomes a pro crew (and paid) is a long road and 2500 might be not enough to pay for the necessary education / licensing fees / training either.

And finally, "how much boat can one buy for USD 2500?"

Well, a Nordica 20 perhaps. Nordica-20 Not seaworthy or smthng? But before you comment on how unsafe it is IYHO, PLS read my original response to the OP.

Cheers,
barnie
Old 26-07-2010, 11:38   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
Maybe not crystal clear, but I took it he's got this boat....
I think no boat - working on one for food & board, hence the thread title. I guess no work visa

My advice, USD2,500 way too little to start your learning curve. Hard enough with plenty of experiance on that budget - and would still require a dollop of luck on buying well.
Old 26-07-2010, 11:46   #37

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Re: Evgenij

That's the guy! I for one do not read Russian. Just read about his adventure via someone else's interpretation.
Old 26-07-2010, 11:59   #38

Re the Nordica 20

Thanks for the link. A very nice pocket cruiser that I haven't yet came across.

Looks good, a less expensive alternative to the Flicka 20' it seems or maybe the old swedish design Havsfidra 20'. All sturdily built double-enders of the same heritage
Old 26-07-2010, 14:40   #39

id prefer the 30 foot maybe am to young or grew up on yachting on designs that are nicer for the eye atleast mine nevertheless to judge it after having some sailing experience on it would be nice
Old 27-07-2010, 17:25   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Dream boat just left the dock

Hey Bubba they just sold your boat in the for sale section of this link today for $1,500. And it came with a trailer you could have sold for half that and had money left over.
Old 27-07-2010, 18:01   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
free dream boat

There is a free boat, wood hull, in Ca. Craigs list, a Westsail 32 for 7000.00 OBO in WPB Fla. what deals!!! Then when you get em you gotta rebuild em! Go for it!
Old 27-07-2010, 23:55   #42

so it is the way the life goes
Old 29-07-2010, 22:35   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Evgenij Gvozdev, the early boat Said. Later other boats. Not sure he was Russian, but Rusophile anyway. (I say this because most material comes from Dagestan State Pedagogical University).

I was asked about him a couple of times, maybe because my own boat not all that much bigger either ;-)

Easy to google out but mostly in Russian, so not very easy for an average Western readers.

Links for more info on Evgenij here:

Îäèí ìóäðåö â îäíîì òàçó... (in Russian),

http://gvozdev.iwt.ru/publish/gsd.pdf (some English text, mostly Russian).

I think he died in an accident on his later boat. Ironically, the later boat was bigger, "better" stronger ...

So whoever says can't be done must read this as well as the Sjo Ogg, Serge Testa and others.

The Voyage of Acrohc Australis (Testa's boat, in English, e.g.)

Can be done. Does not equal safe, comfortable or whatever. A must is a must and extreme challenges are extreme challenges. This kind of sailing IS NOT for an average domesticated cruiser.

Hugs to all ya,
b.
Just finished reading the article. He did complete his second circumnavigation. His first was in 5.5m boat about 16.5 feet (1992-1996). The second one was in a 3.6m boat about 10.8 ft and the beam was 1.4m or about 4.2 ft and the displacement was 600kg or 1330lbs (1999-2003). The cabin of the boat was so small that he couldn’t sleep in it without having his feet stick out into the cockpit. I think he was 69 years old when he completed his second trip. There is no mention that he died in this article.
Old 29-07-2010, 23:26   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikday View Post
Just finished reading the article. He did complete his second circumnavigation. His first was in 5.5m boat about 16.5 feet (1992-1996). The second one was in a 3.6m boat about 10.8 ft and the beam was 1.4m or about 4.2 ft and the displacement was 600kg or 1330lbs (1999-2003). The cabin of the boat was so small that he couldn’t sleep in it without having his feet stick out into the cockpit. I think he was 69 years old when he completed his second trip. There is no mention that he died in this article.

That must be a world record !? ...smallest boat circumnavigation
Old 01-08-2010, 18:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
That must be a world record !? ...smallest boat circumnavigation
The Ruski, or this one:

The Voyage of Acrohc Australis

Maybe.

I think it says somewhere the Russian guy had a bad adventure in Italy - boat on the shore, sailor lost, etc. so this is why I thought he died there

I would be interested to learn what absolute minimum some seasoned cruisers would accept if they were to go small themselves (to say if they had no option to go in a bigger boat). I sometimes look at a Havsfidra (Nordica, Midget, etc. 20 to 23-footers) and say to myself: OK, tooooo small, but then again - why not...

I think a good 20 / 23-footer is way too small for any safety but it does provide the minimum of comfort for one (tall guys need not apply) and they should be able to carry the amt of water and food etc to cross.

Then again one does not have to go smaller than this since such boats can be had at 2500 or less, which I believe is available to anybody who has two hands and brain (these my actually be of good use during a 'go small, but go now' type of adventure). Buhahaha.

b.