Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 09:19   #31

Boat: Lagoon 39
Re: Want to Buy 44' to 48' bluewate cutter rigged monohull

Have I become a heretic? Thinking about Lagoons - specifically 380 and 400 models. They seem to have a lot to offer and meet many of our criteria....jus say'ng.

Do any of you guys have an opinion?
Old 20-01-2016, 10:13   #32
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have an opinion that they are both great boats, and quite a turnaround from a 44-48' cutter rigged mono!
Old 20-01-2016, 10:39   #33

Monte - I've read several of your prior posts on the Lagoon owners site and found them informative. I've owned a small 16' cat for nearly five years and loved sailing the speed demon.

I had been lead to believe (guess preconceived ideas of my own) that the cat wouldn't be up to open blue water cruising. But from what I've read and seen on the net the past couple of days, that impression is incorrect.
Old 20-01-2016, 10:52   #34
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well now (prior to buying) is definitely the best time to ask the questions. There's a multitude of cat v mono threads on cruisers forum so that's a good place to start. There's a video of an interview with sv Delos that someone posted last week that might be of interest. I haven't seen it but apparently it addresses the question fairly well. It's probably in the multihull forum section. You could also start a new thread and ask, but without being specific you will likely end up more confused. I would suggest being as specific as possible with cruising plans, destinations, dreams, budget etc to really assess what boat 'might' suit you best. You may have other ideas after a year on board, but more homework before buying will probably pay off in the long term. Just don't fall into the trap of over researching and delaying the dream too long. Plans will probably change along the way. Try to leave enough free funds to be able to adapt to changes without having to return to work!
Old 20-01-2016, 11:00   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Every boat is a compromise, but shoal draft 5'6" or less (rolls like a pig), deck-saloon (windows too large and cabin too hot), and centerline queen berth (tossed on the floor in a seaway) sounds more like you want a marina queen than a bluewater boat.
Old 20-01-2016, 11:14   #36

Boat: Tayana 47

When we were boat shopping, I inquired about this 1990 Oyster 46 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com boat a few years ago but it was bad timing because the owner had decided to keep it and was in the process of taking it off the market. But now I see it's back on the market and the price has been lowered somewhat as well so it's well within your budget. This boat has spent much of its life in fresh water and looks to be in great shape and I think it has a great classic look and, while you wouldn't win any light air races in it, it would be a very comfortable and safe boat at sea. If I was still looking.....
Old 20-01-2016, 11:16   #37

Boat: Tayan 48DS

Call George McCreary he has a 47 Caliber LRC in your price range
Old 20-01-2016, 17:03   #38

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
Retired couple ready to give up life as dirt dwellers and move onboard. Actively seeking to purchase a cutter rigged, bluewater monohull for live-aboard cruisers. Will consider models 10-30 years old. Please no major refit project boats.

Ideal boat is equipped with: mid-cockpit, shoal draft 5'6" or less (no CBs), deck-saloon, windlass, centerline queen berth, genset, refrig/freezer, A/C, watermaker, solar, wind, SSB, davits, liferaft, and washer/dryer.

Examples of hulls we like: Island Packet 420 or IP45, Gulfstar 44 & 47-50 Sailmaster, Hylas 44 & 46, Tayana 48, Irwin 52 & 43, Northwind 44, Mason 44 & 53, Bristol 47. Captain is 6'5" so headroom is key.

I know...Hey, we don't want to be camping, and I have a bride to keep happy, Ok!
Liberty 458 is another option. There are a couple for sale currently. All of the 30 still afloat all seem to be in good condition.

We have hull #12. We bought her fully equipped for bluewater cruising.

Apart from normal maintenance, standing rigging replacement and instrumentation upgrades we're out on the water and loving the lifestyle.

The centerline queen is great. She sails well and is built like a tank. It's great to get off the grid. We've been living aboard for 2.5 years.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-01-2016, 17:38   #39

leftbrainstuff - thanks for your post. I agree the Liberty 485 has a lot to offer.

We are aware of two Liberty 485s listed on yachtworld.com. Both listings significantly reduced their ask price in recent months. These boats carry a draft of 6' 4" which is a immediate deal breaker for us (intended cruising waters are Florida coastal, Bahamas and Caribbean). Two of the three this draft greatly reduces cruising grounds.

A second point, the aft berth is large (huge) however, it is athwartship - this is a problem. One partner is required to crawl over the other getting in or out. We don't find this to be an attractive option though I'm sure many are perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Finally, the diesel engine shows numerous parts with corrosion. Original water tanks implies these are ticking time bombs given their 31+ years advanced age. Money and large amounts can rise all boats, but these projects don't fit our timeline.
Old 20-01-2016, 18:56   #40

Boat: Nauticat 43

I'm biased, but have you considered Nauticat 42's or 43's? You should walk through one before you purchase anything else.
Old 25-01-2016, 06:29   #41

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

I have JUST the boat for you. We are selling a CSY 44 Walkthrough Cutter, fully equipped for round-the-world sailing... big watermaker, big alternator, great sailplan, huge solar array, shoal draft, etc etc. Meets your criteria and is a solidly-built true blue water cruiser.

We left Florida in 2007 in Soggy Paws and have traveled half way around the world in her. You can see our travels at Cruising with Soggy Paws and all the things we've done to Soggy Paws to get ready for this epic circumnavigation here: S/V Soggy Paws - CSY 44 - Dave's Workshop

The big reason NOT to buy a catamaran is that it will cost you an extra $150K. If you've got that money without impinging on your cruising budget, then skip to the next Cat ad. But if you have a modest cruising budget and want a fully-equipped blue water cruising boat that won't fail you when the chips are down, you will find none better than the CSY 44. See our specs and reasons why Soggy Paws is the BEST CSY 44 for sale out there: S/V Soggy Paws - CSY 44 Walkthrough for Sale.

Sherry & Dave
s/v Soggy Paws
In the Philippines... with TWO great cruising boats
Old 25-01-2016, 08:12   #42

Soggy Paws - Reviewed pics and specs. What you and and the bride have done with your CSY 44 is truly amazing. The boat shows great husbandry and how you have outfitted her shows wisdom and prudence in the equipment selected. She's very tempting and the price is not bad either. You are correct in that she meets ALL of our criteria but one.

Sadly, location is a deal breaker for us. Although the boat's current location is a beautiful locale from everything we read, it is just not well suited for us to start our voyage.

We are open pretty much to taking delivery on a yacht either East or West Coast, Virgin Islands, Bahamas and possible Mexico.
Old 26-01-2016, 14:20   #43

Boat: Bristol 47.7

How about a CC Bristol 47, 1989. I had this boat on the market last summer for a few months but took it off to go to Bahamas. Boat is well equipped and setup for cruising by knowledgeable owner. Generator, bow thruster, powered primary winches, Hood roller main sail, rod rigging and lots more. Good head room, island berth aft. 5.5 draft fully loaded. She is a centerboard boat but sails extremely well with the board up, I seldom use it. Was rigged with removable stay for staysail and many of the parts are available with the boat.

Available before back on the market this summer at lower price.

Let me know if interested, I can send lots more info and pics.
Old 26-01-2016, 14:41   #44

It could work. I've looked at a couple but unfortunately they were not being maintained as designed. I'll drop you a pm.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:16   #45

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Re: Want to Buy 44' to 48' bluewater cutter rigged monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
If you are an owner of a late model (1980-2005) well maintained, bluewater, cutter rigged cruising sailboat and find yourself wanting to sale, we'd love to hear from you. Wife and I are serious buyers ready to buy. Lets save the 10% broker's commission and do a deal!

Here is a short list of hull models we have a strong interest: Tayana 47/48, Caliber 47, Island Packet 420 & 45, Cabo Rico 44, Pacific Seacraft 44, Bristol 47, Irwin MKII 46 & 52, Gulfstar 43 & 47&50 Sailmasters, Northwind 44, Kelly Petterson 46.

We require a shoal draft, not to exceed 6' at cruising weight - preference is closer to 5'. Mid-cockpit is ideal but will consider aft. Cutter rig with all lines leading to cockpit.

We plan cruising off the grid for long periods, so equipment that enables self-sufficiency such as solar, wind and watermaker is high on our criteria list.
Suggest you remove KP 46 - not shoal draft.

Tags
cutter, hull, monohull