Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 20:55   #1
jas
Wonderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wellington 44 cutter rig
Want Islander 40 MS in good condition

Hi all:

Just returned from trip to go aboard an Islander 40 MS which has been on the market for over a year - finally decided to go see. While I was advised it was a project boat, I wasn’t advised of how far down it had fallen in condition since the photos were taken that show up on the YW listing, so I went with “Buyer beware” on my mind. I have two reasons for this post:

1) I’m still looking for a good I40MS and having now gone aboard one, I think I would prefer it to the later sister IF41 for a variety of personal reasons - no reflection on the IF41.

2) To make clear to interested parties that the one I just saw, located in the NE USA, is in really poor condition included water infused decks, front house sides rotted through (tested with awl) and roof showing high moisture on the surveyor’s meter and from his hammer.

The owner was aboard, since the broker declined to show up, and allowed that there was only one usable fuel tank which appeared to be a day tank of about 45 gallons. Also, he said the Perkins had some 8000 hours versus 700 hours shown in the YW listing. There are many more features found in the listing that are not accurate, i.e. misrepresentation, not to mention very questionable wiring throughout.

Enough said and I wished the owner well and went home about $1000.00 lighter but now know more about the dimensions and features of the design.

Please advise if you are thinking about putting your I40MS up for purchase.