Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 22:44   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Volvo MD7 Hand Crank

Will try and figure out how to post pictures after I take them. Mine has receptacles for a through pin on the cam shaft. Other wise too hook depressions instead of the one on 'wizorian's' photo. It is built out of bent tubing and welded on crank piece. It is the stock factory crank that has not been modified for extra reach.
Old 16-04-2015, 00:23   #17

Boat: "Julia Dream" 32ft Columbia

I have a crank from another engine but dont have the tools to cut it out. A genuine md7a crank is proving very hard to find!
Thanks john but that crank isnt going to work for me sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-04-2015, 14:17   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Not a problem since I don't know what it fits for certain. It appears to be able to be used either clockwise or counterclockwise and has the proper hole size of 24.5 cm or almost 1 inch.
Old 18-04-2015, 18:27   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Trying to post images of the crank that I have. clicked on the square box to import photos, copied URL from Photobucket but they won't post. The address has two 'http//:' after the [IMG]. Tried erasing, one of the 'http//:' still no joy. Posted the URL in an email and it works. What am I doing wrong??

Old 18-04-2015, 19:17   #20

Boat: "Julia Dream" 32ft Columbia

Do you have an iphone? I find it easy to use that. Alternatively copy the pictures onto your desktop and use the add photo option on the cruiser site..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-04-2015, 20:56   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Trying to post images of the crank that I have. clicked on the square box to import photos, copied URL from Photobucket but they won't post. The address has two 'http//:' after the [IMG]. Tried erasing, one of the 'http//:' still no joy. Posted the URL in an email and it works. What am I doing wrong??

Sometimes if the file is too large they won't load.

I always download the photos to "Pictures" on my desktop and then when I go down to attach files (down below here) and click on manage attachments it lets me browse through pictures and find the one I want to upload.

Hope that helps.
Old 18-04-2015, 21:18   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - roverhi's Album: 'Ae'a - Picture

This is a crappy photo but it will give you an idea of what the crank looks like.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:10   #23

The photo that Roverhi posted looks the same as the crank that came with my MD6B parts engine. It also looks the same as the one in post 3 , 2nd photo, that is from an MD1B. I think many of the cranks from small Volvos are interchangable. The problem that I (think I have?) have is that the grip part is a glued on (rough) bicycle type rubber grip, and I think using it would give an instant blistered palm. Pete, How did it work without a revolving grip??? I wonder if after the OP finds a crank, if a moderator could put this thread over onto the Engine and propulsion forum. There is good information here to add to the general small Volvo info? _____Grant.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:23   #24
Moderator Emeritus

This crank has a revolving grip. Crank on old engine also had a revolving grip. Hand cranked the MD2 after the Dynamotor, starter/generator, fell off because of broken bolts soon after reaching the Marquesas. Never did fix it and hand cranked the engine for the 10 years we owned the boat. Think a non revolving grip would tear up your hands especially if it had any kind of a grippy surface. You really need to get the engine spinning to start it so you don't gently grasp the handle for a gentle momentary nudge.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:42   #25

Thanks Pete, I suspected that the none revolving grip would be a nightmare. I will cut off the end and have a plate welded on that I can bolt a grip with a good bearing. Something like a winch handle grip. Nice photo of your Pearson. _____Grant.
Old 19-04-2015, 13:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
This crank has a revolving grip. Crank on old engine also had a revolving grip. Hand cranked the MD2 after the Dynamotor, starter/generator, fell off because of broken bolts soon after reaching the Marquesas. Never did fix it and hand cranked the engine for the 10 years we owned the boat. Think a non revolving grip would tear up your hands especially if it had any kind of a grippy surface. You really need to get the engine spinning to start it so you don't gently grasp the handle for a gentle momentary nudge.
You Da Man! I tried cranking my MD2B a couple times... never did successfully start the engine!

Tags
volvo