Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 11:23   #1
dd3

Very Cheap Folkboat Needed

I need to buy a folkboat unfortunately my budget is under 1000 dollars so im not looking for one in perfect condition but a fixer upper. it must be in the water. I cant spend more than 1000 but i could do a 1000 plus a trade of various sailboat equipment slash sailing stuff i am trying to get rid of, which encludes sails, a radar, an ssb and tuner, a radar mount, allumium cam cleats, a navtex, a macerator head, tank vents an alumium disel tank and many more things. It needs to be in north america. And thats it. if it were free i would consider one on land too but i cant afoard a lift in if i have to pay for it right now so thats what im looking for. i hope to find one soon.
Old 27-08-2012, 11:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: very cheap folkboat needed

Perhaps you could sell some of that stuff on consignment and have a bigger budget. Very rarely will you find exactly what you want for exactly almost free exactly now.
But it could happen.
I wish you luck.
Ben
Old 27-08-2012, 12:45   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Very Cheap Folkboat Needed

I wish you the best of luck but I've never seen a fiberglass Folkboat for less than $6000. They might be around but I don't know where.
Maybe wood ones in the SF bay area could be had for less?
A question is why exactly do you need a Folkboat and not some similar sized boat?
kind regards,
Old 27-08-2012, 13:00   #4
dd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I wish you the best of luck but I've never seen a fiberglass Folkboat for less than $6000. They might be around but I don't know where.
Maybe wood ones in the SF bay area could be had for less?
A question is why exactly do you need a Folkboat and not some similar sized boat?
kind regards,
Oh i definitely do not want a fiberglass folkboat. i want a wood one. it has nothing to do with the usability of it. my current boat will cross oceans quite easily so its not that, thers just something about would folkboats that captures my imagination in the way no other boat ever will. I think i may go try and put the items on consignment ive tried selling them privately but its been difficult to find people interested so i may go that route so i can try to affoard the less good condition wood folkboats out there.
Old 27-08-2012, 13:52   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

In Alameda, Ca., there is a Chandelry named Svendsens. They have parts for Folk boats. There is a large fleet there. I would call them and ask as I would a few Marinas near by for a lead. Also try craigslist San Francisco.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-08-2012, 14:17   #6

Boat: Tartan 30

here's one for $3000 maybe you could talk em down a little or make some trades.

1971 Marieholm International Folkboat sailboat for sale in California

[edit] oh that's a fiberglass one... check the good old boat classifieds and the wooden boat rescue website.
Old 27-08-2012, 14:44   #7

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: very cheap folkboat needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Perhaps you could sell some of that stuff on consignment and have a bigger budget. Very rarely will you find exactly what you want for exactly almost free exactly now.
But it could happen.
I wish you luck.
Ben

You're right, this never happens to me! I will say a local guy here bought a Cape Dory 28 from the marina for $500...it was in the water. Just needed cleaning and sails. Amazing deal!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Old 29-08-2012, 18:30   #8
dd3

update. I just bought a nordic folkboat variation with a different cabinhouse for 650 so im not looking aymore. brand new electrical work too. just needs some varnish on the interior wood instead of paint. tomorrow she gets her first test on open water in lake ontario. im very happy with her she speaks to me in a way that my glass boat never will. plus the mast and boom are newly varnished and are works of art. she was build my nolds boatbuiklding yard of naestved denmark and she definitely has a different cabinhouse so if anyone knows anything about the builder id be interested to know but so far im very happy queen of denmark is treating me well
Old 29-08-2012, 18:50   #9

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd3 View Post
update. I just bought a nordic folkboat variation with a different cabinhouse for 650 so im not looking aymore. brand new electrical work too. just needs some varnish on the interior wood instead of paint. tomorrow she gets her first test on open water in lake ontario. im very happy with her she speaks to me in a way that my glass boat never will. plus the mast and boom are newly varnished and are works of art. she was build my nolds boatbuiklding yard of naestved denmark and she definitely has a different cabinhouse so if anyone knows anything about the builder id be interested to know but so far im very happy queen of denmark is treating me well
No pictures?

Without pictures, it didn't happen!

Congrats on your new baby!
Old 29-08-2012, 20:23   #10

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd3 View Post

Congrads!

Pics Please!!! I love small good ole boats especially rescued ones!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Old 30-08-2012, 05:48   #11

Boat: Whitby 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I wish you the best of luck but I've never seen a fiberglass Folkboat for less than $6000.
There's one (albeit sans mast and boom) for sale in New York for $500: http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/3148429315.html .

- Will
Old 30-08-2012, 12:05   #12
dd3

Here are the pics. i found a 1cm ship in one of the planks today part of the overlap thank god and i reset it in some epoxy and then when it cured covered the whole plank in epoxy. Tomorrow im heading home with her as we had strong winds coming from the west today and i didnt fancy tacking back and forth beating into 8 footers all day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0000.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	45794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0006.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	45795  

Name:	IMG0004.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	45796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0007.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	45797  

Name:	IMG0008.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	45798  
Old 30-08-2012, 13:50   #13

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I like it!

Hopefully you won't find too many hidden problems, and get many enjoyable years of sailing!

Congrats again!
Old 30-08-2012, 18:49   #14
dd3

the sail handling system is actually awesome . you never need to step foot on deck all linmes go to the cockpit yet it has haned on sails for safety all i do is go thru the forepeak hatch attach the jib to the lines which have a clip and to the halyars then hank them on go back to the cockpiut raise the halyard from there. its great. technichally its not a folkboat because the transom and cabin are different but she sure sails exactly like one. points really high and sails herself never need to touch the tiller. im quite happy
Old 02-09-2012, 18:35   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Folkboats are great sailing boats as are Contessa 26. Congratulations on your find and purchase.
kind regards,

Tags
cheap, folkboat