Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13   #1

Two Spectra Watermakers for Sale

Hello,
This is my first post so please let me know if I'm not following any rules.

I have two Spectra WaterMachine water makers for sale. We used these over two days to test a prototype wave energy device several years ago. They would have less than 20 hours usage. I ran both again in our workshop a couple of times since then to make sure they were cycling and desalinating fine (they were). The last time was a few years ago, again without seeing any problem. However, I imagine that the membranes would certainly need to be replaced by now.

Specifically, these are year 2000 380 gal/per/day machines without any optional computer controls. They are the basic modular systems. All the components are there except for the low pressure hoses. There is only one of the small electric feed pumps so, if sold separately, one would need to be purchased but they are not expensive as I recall. I'm afraid that I remember little more about these but could send pictures as required to anyone seriously interested.

I was very impressed with their quality and support. I'm in Canada but having a well outfitted custom furniture shop, I can ensure a top-notch crate and crating job.

I'm planning on putting them on eBay within the next couple of weeks so please let me know if you're interested please.

My email address is gvowles {at} mac [dot] com

Thanks kindly,
Gerry Vowles
(Ontario, Canada)
Old 07-05-2014, 06:28   #2

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Two Spectra Watermakers for Sale

How much $ ?

And where are you ?

Cheers,
JM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:37   #3

Hi JM
I guess I should have figured that out first. It's a little tough because Spectra assembled them both into a custom cabinet for us so I paid more than their actual cost at the time at around 20k. I'm thinking that the best thing to do is determine which current or recent model they are close to and offer both for somewhere around the price of a new one. I'll need to look that up. I'll get started on that.

Perhaps some forum members will have suggestions that are fair to both parties?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:05   #4

Hi again,

I've done a bit of digging and it appears that our units are based on the Spectra 380c model Clark pump. I can't seem to post a pdf copy of the manual here but can email it to anyone interested - The manual covers both the smaller 200 gpd and our 380 gpd models.

I'm also wondering if it might make sense for anyone to buy both, tune them up with new membranes, hose and such and resell one to recoup a good portion of the purchase price? Not a must though.

Thanks kindly for your patience.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:07   #5

I've now had the opportunity to gather some info on pricing. I will be able to get these out of storage in the next few days and provide lots of good pictures.

In the meantime I've set the price at $3795 USD for the one with the feed pump and $3495 USD for the one without the feed pump. The price for both is $6995 USD

This will include good strong crating and packing but not shipping.

Please let me know if you would like pictures emailed directly to you.

Thanks kindly,
Gerry
Old 10-05-2014, 12:27   #6

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Be careful going the ebay route, I got screwed recently and then when I went to leave negative feedback ebay removed it, so I don't trust their feedback anymore and would hate to see you out a ton of money. That and they're taking at least 10% now.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:36   #7

Yes, I've heard some horror stories about eBay too. I've not used it for a number of years so am not really up on rates , effectiveness and such.

I've decided to drop my price to $2995 for the one without the electric pump and $3295 for the one with the pump or $5995 for both. That puts it into the price range needed for resellers as I understand it.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I'd like to see the pictures myself. It's rare Spectras come on the used market. I'd be curious as to what Spectra did to customize these two units.
Old 10-05-2014, 13:02   #9

Hi Tellie, I'm going to the storage unit early in the week to get them out for some pictures so will have them then. Actually, Spectra didn't modify the units, just the plumbing. They mounted the two of them into a custom cabinet with two manual control units that would run either independently or together. Where the setup differed was in the addition of one or two Tee's if I remember correctly so that we could bypass the electric pump and feed the system instead with our wave energy pumping device. In fact, that reminds me now why there is only one of the small pumps - we only needed it to test the system or to keep it pumping in case the waves dropped off to nothing. I guess that was a pretty longwinded way of saying that the systems were not modified, just a bit of extra plumbing at the feed pump.
Thanks for the question :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'd like to see the pictures myself. It's rare Spectras come on the used market. I'd be curious as to what Spectra did to customize these two units.
Old 10-05-2014, 13:20   #10

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I wonder if Tellie could comment on what would "typically" be required to render these units operable. After 14 years in storage, surely the seals must have dried out.
Do this vintage clark pump have any known problems to watch for? Do I recall reading of clark pumps that used to crack at the fittings?

Thanks in advance.
Paul.
Old 10-05-2014, 15:06   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
I wonder if Tellie could comment on what would "typically" be required to render these units operable. After 14 years in storage, surely the seals must have dried out.
Do this vintage clark pump have any known problems to watch for? Do I recall reading of clark pumps that used to crack at the fittings?

Thanks in advance.
Paul.

I'd like to hold my opinion until I see the pictures GerryV posts. He states he will post a few of them which will help. I think GeeryV, you should lay out all the parts you have, big and small, and all the little things that may not seem significant. Many times it's the small things that can be missing that can add up quicker than the few big things. I'd also be interested in the story of what happened to the wave energy pumping device and how it was intended to work.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44   #12

Boat: 40' Leopard

Sounds like both units for 3K would be about right since they are so old . When was the last time they were in operation??
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46   #13

Already been offered well beyond that from a reseller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
Sounds like both units for 3K would be about right since they are so old . When was the last time they were in operation??
Old 11-05-2014, 17:18   #14

$3500 new :-)

Nonsense?

- Wave energy, an accumulated form of solar energy, approaches 900X greater energy

- Energy is by far the single greatest cost associated with desalination

- With verifiable billions (not millions) of people and growing on this little planet of ours suffering acute water shortages; safe, affordable freshwater is considered the single biggest threat/challenge/opportunity of this century

- We built and had a world first by publicly demonstrating an exclusively wave energy powered desalination system. Spectra provided the highly efficient desalination module with energy recovery that allowed us to use a much lower cost wave energy converter (pump)

- It won international awards and recognition at the time

- There was a great deal of interest globally. Approaches from 40 countries including "direct" contact from over 30 accredited foreign ambassadors. Not because of who I was. They need low cost-safe freshwater as a matter of life and death in most cases

- Our demonstration over a few days concluded on 9-10-2001. There was quite a lot of interest from the press. You may be aware of what happened the following day (9-11) and how that event virtually slammed shut the doors for any other stories along with small business investment. At the same time, I was involved in a permanently disabling accident and our government told me that we were simply "too small" an enterprise to be eligible for their support. In sailors term's I believe these combined events would be called the perfect storm. Such is life.

So, as the man said Cinderella? 1965, "and now you know the rest of the story." Perhaps eBay is not such a bad strategy after all... or were you perhaps hoping for an easy mark?

Apologies to the good folks; even though we're far from perfect, some - make that many - of us do try to give a little more to the world than we take out of it and so we take the bait sometimes.

It's okay if I'm removed. Thanks kindly for letting me post.
Old 11-05-2014, 18:03   #15

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

GerryV, the comments irritated me too, for the record. Personally I don't like that aspect of the CF marketplace, any jacka$$ can de-rail a "for sale" thread with their brilliant insights.

Anyway, they can't afford it/don't want it, but thanks for explaining the relevance of wave energy to those of us that don't know every damn thing in the world!

I would be interested in seeing the components in detail, with dimensions. It's a big investment, we're all going to want to see a bunch of detail unless you can get a local buyer, since it is a custom unit. I'm no expert on watermakers but I'm under the assumption they are somewhat modular, and
spectra systems are pretty desirable. Higher output and power requirements, but more efficient per gallon. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck and post a bunch of pictures-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryV View Post
$3500 new :-)

Nonsense?

- Wave energy, an accumulated form of solar energy, approaches 900X greater energy

- Energy is by far the single greatest cost associated with desalination

- With verifiable billions (not millions) of people and growing on this little planet of ours suffering acute water shortages; safe, affordable freshwater is considered the single biggest threat/challenge/opportunity of this century

- We built and had a world first by publicly demonstrating an exclusively wave energy powered desalination system. Spectra provided the highly efficient desalination module with energy recovery that allowed us to use a much lower cost wave energy converter (pump)

- It won international awards and recognition at the time

- There was a great deal of interest globally. Approaches from 40 countries including "direct" contact from over 30 accredited foreign ambassadors. Not because of who I was. They need low cost-safe freshwater as a matter of life and death in most cases

- Our demonstration over a few days concluded on 9-10-2001. There was quite a lot of interest from the press. You may be aware of what happened the following day (9-11) and how that event virtually slammed shut the doors for any other stories along with small business investment. At the same time, I was involved in a permanently disabling accident and our government told me that we were simply "too small" an enterprise to be eligible for their support. In sailors term's I believe these combined events would be called the perfect storm. Such is life.

So, as the man said Cinderella? 1965, "and now you know the rest of the story." Perhaps eBay is not such a bad strategy after all... or were you perhaps hoping for an easy mark?

Apologies to the good folks; even though we're far from perfect, some - make that many - of us do try to give a little more to the world than we take out of it and so we take the bait sometimes.

It's okay if I'm removed. Thanks kindly for letting me post.

Tags
for sale, sale, water, watermaker