Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 11:12   #1

Turkish Gulet

I am starting my search for a Turkish Gulet. Around 20m, based in Turkey, Greece or Croatia. Im looking for a vessel in reasonable condition, suitable in time to use for low key charter work. I am keen to hear from private sellers.

Thanks

John
Old 28-10-2014, 16:32   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Turkish Gulet

If you have access to the magazine, Practical Boat Owner which is a UK publication I recall seeing an ad in the August or September issue for a gulet in Turkey. Might even have their ads online.
Old 28-10-2014, 17:30   #3

Turkish Gulet

Go to Bodrum, Marmaris, or other coastal tourist hub in Turkey. Walk the public docks and look for Satilik signs (for sale). There are plenty of them. This way you can check the actual vessel on the spot before going ahead with it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-10-2014, 19:25   #4

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

We have spent the last 3 years on the coast of Turkey and Gulets are everywhere. A few private but most charter boats often with territorial skippers,
They are a clannish bunch and a forein skipper looking to compete for charters might run into some trouble. Nothing quite like 100 tons of Gulet dropping the hook 3 meters away and backing to shore to party all night with 40+ tourists. You need to consider their construction which is often without the input of a marine engineer, and often put together with pine, nails and epoxy paint. Most but not all have a life of about 15 years and then end up in boneyards to be picked for the accessories. Most look like sailboats but do not sail. Most have very big engines and diesel is really expensive in Turkey and the rest of the Med. Most are not particularly seaworthy and run for cover when it gets rough. The craftsmanship on the appointments is very nice but you need to look at the bones and the tankage and the thruhulls etc etc. If you have considered all that, well they are a beamy comphy sort of beast. Yachtworld.com usually lists several, but you really need to spend time there. Best of luck!
Old 29-10-2014, 02:41   #5

Regarding sailing: there's been a sail revival movement in Turkey and some newer gullets have been built to sail rather well. Every year there is a traditional boat sailing regatta in a Bodrum and it's a beautiful sight to see. You can even find epoxy built gullets, just have to look.
I personally found that Bodrum has the biggest variety. If you go in the winter, quite a few of them are hauled out in the boatyards around town. But the old and new port have a lot still in he water.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum