Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2007, 21:51   #1

The Paperclip for Schooner 2008 Calendar!!

Hi Guys,

While it would appear we have been lying dormant with the paperclip for schooner thing, Clare and I have secretly been working...

Clare has just E-mailed me the proofs for the 2008 Calendar we are producing with the funds gained from this venture so far. Its a bit of a risk since if no one wants a calendar we will be stuck with 300 of them, and nobody wants a calendar in January, so they will be pretty much worthless after that, but No Risk, no reward!

I will post a picture as soon as she gets me the final version, but this is a 16 Month Cruising Calendar that is being professionally printed, and is modeled on the kinds of calendars that you buy at a book shop. (Read not cheesy or budget-looking). We are in NZ, but we will post anywhere you like.

Since we want to do good things, not just get a boat, one dollar from every calendar will go towards Oxfam which is a charity with a great track record and almost all the money goes to the cause, not administration and such. (I did their trailwalker event in NZ and let me tell you walking 100 K is not easy). I have yet to set this up, but for sure it will be dealt to by the end of the week.

Oh, and so that the original Paperclip purchaser does not end up with the raw end of the stick, she gets a calendar for free. (see - if you do good things they come back to you!)

I am also looking to put up a website that you can order from, but its been a busy time lately, and I am kind of computer-challenged, so bear with us.

Please Watch this space for more updates! Pictures To Come tomorrow (I hope)!

Thanks Guys!!
Old 01-10-2007, 15:19   #2

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Hi Brian and Clare,

The calendars sound good. Let me know when they are ready and we will probably buy one from you.
As for the website, pm me if you want and we will see what we can come up with regarding a website for you. I am a web developer and also run a small server for just a couple of projects once in a while.

Old 01-10-2007, 16:14   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
What are you talking about?
Old 01-10-2007, 17:04   #4

Sorry, A little background was probably in order here.

Clare and I started several months ago attempting to trade from a paperclip up into a schooner. We got the idea from a person in the US who traded from a paperclip to a house a while back. We figured it was worth a shot, and could be kind of fun to try. Call it an experiment in how far you can go with just a dream and a bit of effort.

The dream is that we want to have a schooner that we can raise a family on, and that is big enough to carry supplies so that we can do humanitarian/releif work to out of the way places like isolated pacific islands, hurricane hit areas, etc. (not to mention enjoying living on a schooner and raising our future kids on one). There are a ton of possibilities, and basically we thought we would give it a try. So far we have been pretty successful, and have traded the following:

Paperclip to a few dollars Cash
Cash to a 70s vintage VHF radio
VHF radio to 6 new collapsible buckets
Collapsible buckets to a rigging knife and Inflatable life vest and some cash
Knife and vest to speargun and old Aires windvane self steering and some cash

(I dont think I forgot anything here?)

Currently we have the cash made so far and still have the windvane

The cash raised so far we are using along with Clares artistic talents to print a 2008 sailing calendar. We are having a few hundred calendars professionally printed (as many as we can get) and these will go on sale as soon as Clare finshes the final touches. A dollar of each sale will go to oxfam since we want to do nice things as well as get the boat.

I don't know if it will work, but we are going to keep on trying. Everyone needs a calendar right? They are reallly nice.... :O)

If you are interested in a fabulous calendar for yourself or another sailor (what a great Christmas Present!), please e-mail us at kairoscruise@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot folks,

Brian and Clare
Old 02-10-2007, 04:45   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Ok, now I understand. It sounds like a fun challenge. Good luck guys.

Paul
Old 02-10-2007, 13:36   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Brian and Clare
email me at dana-tenacity@usa.net
I may be able to help
Old 02-10-2007, 20:42   #7

Cover of Calendar

Here is the cover finally. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calendar cover #2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1925  
Old 03-10-2007, 00:50   #8

Boat: Lotus 10.6
hi,
where is that photo taken?
Are you selling your calendars on trademe?
Old 03-10-2007, 13:31   #9

HI seafox,

We are not on trademe yet as the calendars have yet to be printed. They have a thing about selling items that dont actually exist yet! With luck we should be able to get something from the printers in the next week or so. Unfortunately even a small run is very pricey, so we are waiting on some additional quotes to find the lowest cost option at this point. The cover shot was taken by Clare at a little place called Pirates Cove on Long Island Sound.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21   #10

Update about oxfam

Hi folks, just a quick note. I got confirmation today from Oxfam (povery relief charity), and they are on board for the calendar project and offered to letting us use their logo on the Calendar (YAY). Printers prices are a littel higher than expected, so in order to be able to afford the 250 calendars (mimimum print run they will do) we are going to scale it back to just 12 months. But that just means that we will have the best of the best photos in there. Sorry for the misleading info, but The online price quotes I looked at from the US were not matched here in NZ by local printers. Anyway, one step closer.

Brian and Clare
Old 09-10-2007, 18:11   #11

We are on trademe!

Hi folks, just to let you know, we have put the Calendar on trademe. To sweeten the pot we have agreed to personally write all the birthdays and anniversarys of your loved ones in there so that you wont get in trouble with the wife! OK Thanks all heres hoping it works!

B&C
Old 10-10-2007, 03:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Paperclip 4 Schooner Dream Calendar:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-121930971.htm

Old 15-11-2007, 12:33   #13

Boat: NONE yet
I say take some to all the marinas and give 10% each for stocking for you. Calenders sell for anywhere between 9.99 and 29.99 here in the states, Also if you where to sell them world wide other than on the site where you have them listed you might make a bigger pot to work with. Great stocking stuffers to. I think because it is a sailing calender it might be helpful to add the tidal flows to the date. Just an Idea for next years calender, cause no reason to just do one year!!
Maybe the calenders will float your dream, we all have them.
Old 15-11-2007, 12:40   #14

Boat: NONE yet
Maybe too you could hook up with a distributor in the states and have them printed over here (cheaper, huge market). I don't know about your side of the planet but in the states we have calender stores pop up this time of year and they are always busy. Just a few thoughts for you.
Old 15-11-2007, 13:32   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I...Also if you where to sell them world wide other than on the site where you have them listed you might make a bigger pot to work with.
...I think because it is a sailing calender it might be helpful to add the tidal flows to the date...
Worldwide tide charts - wow, I'll take 10.