Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 06:40   #1

Tartan 41 bluewater - many upgrades

This is not some production plastic with a windvane on and called “bluewater capable”.

Alchemy is a 1974 Tartan 41, one of the best kept examples of the model around. The Tartan 41 was designed specifically to handle bluewater passages, like the Newport-Bermuda race.

“The Tartan 41 had a remarkable impact on the ocean racing world. Built from 1972 to 1976, when S&S were the dominant design firm, the production run was 86 boats. The boat’s moderately heavy displacement and deep sections result in an extremely sea-kindly motion. The 41 is probably the most exciting and it will almost certainly still be around long after today’s generation of “hot” ultra-light-build boats have begun to crack up.”
(magazine review)

Able to sleep 9, bullet proof hardware, fast and comfortable. This boat has been prepped twice for a bluewater passage. The previous owner spent over $85,000 in 2010/12 getting ready. For our trip, we have documented over $30,000 in refitting.

New arch, solar, sails, radar and much more.

Zip of photos
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-v...ew?usp=sharing

Here is the current equipment list.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-v...ew?usp=sharing

Alchemy is currently in the Bahamas. Priced at $83,000. This is a *true* bluewater passage maker capable of going anywhere for well under $100,000

Dimensions
LOA: 40 ft 7 in
Beam: 12 ft 3 in
LWL: 32 ft 5 in
Displacement: 17850 lbs
Ballast: 9200 lbs

Old 30-04-2015, 17:58   #2

Boat: CS36T
Re: Tartan 41 bluewater - many upgrades

How many heads?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-05-2015, 15:18   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

I have a lot of cruising experience with the Tartan 41 and 42 (same rig and hull but with an aft owners cabin) and think they are just wonderful boats. The boat being offered here is a prime example and at great price and would make anyone a very nice high performance and safe oceanic cruiser.

I sailed a Tartan 42 around Vancouver Island down to Puerto Vallarta and back to San Diego. Loved every minute. The boat was superb in heavy air (35+ knots and big breaking seas around Cape Mendocino and even more in the Straits of Juan de Fuca). It might have been even a better light wind boat. She could sail briskly in winds where normal cruisers were barely moving.

Two friends I cruised with in Mexico each had Tartan 41's that were dreams to sail. I have a pretty nice sailing boat and they always sailed off and left me.

Sat thru a hurricane about 200 yards from one of the T-41s and it suffered no damage.
Old 03-05-2015, 13:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguptill View Post
How many heads?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
One head. It's layout is for being on passage rather than at anchor
Old 03-05-2015, 13:53   #5

Thanks Tacoma, I didn't even have to pay you
Old 13-05-2015, 10:26   #6

I did extensive repairs to the hull and keel stub area on a 3700 though it is a much newer example I just wanted to speak to the more current quality of construction and layout of the interior as being superb. I spent nearly 500 hours on that job as it was an infused hull and needed to be repaired by infusion. They are still a beautiful boat then and now. Well out of my price range but a gooder for sure.
Old 15-05-2015, 05:59   #7

Alchemy is currently in Florida
Old 01-06-2015, 15:19   #8

Make that oriental, NC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-06-2015, 11:11   #9

What is the draft???
Old 04-06-2015, 16:37   #10

Boat: TBD

She's a beauty from what I saw downloading those photos! Spectacular condition.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:12   #11

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
What is the draft???

sailboatdata.com shows it as 6'9" or 2.07m.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
sailboatdata.com shows it as 6'9" or 2.07m.
That's correct.

We are currently just south of Portsmouth, VA.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I have several questions about the boat, especially her rig & sails, if you'd be so kind. And yeah, they may sound a bit OCD, but sails are what make a boat go :-)

Firstly, does this boat have the tall rig (I = 54"), or the shorter rig (I = 51')? And how does she do once the breeze goes south of 10kts?
Plus, part of that question would entail; how roachy is the main; way extended, or of a more standard cut?
Also, to aide in answering this, I'm looking for a response, based on when she's not flying a headsail much bigger than 135%.

I ask the above, as I know that in light air it helps to have as much sail area as one can get. Especially as I'm kind of used to doing close to wind speed until both wind, & boat speed get close to 0.00 on the gauges (yeah, I've raced a bit - But, hey, it's helped to keep Cheerios on the table).

So these boats, for their size, have relatively small mainsails (thanks to the racing rules, sail area "taxation rates" of their day). But, being free of such encumbrances now, if one were to add, say 2-3'+/- to the boom/"E" dimension of the main (in order to add some sail area). Do you think that doing this would wind up creating a bad case of weather helm?

Not in light air, but rather, in the mid ranges. Like from say, AWA = 10kts, up into the high teens, wind wise?
Obviously one can tune out some poor helming characteristics via the various sail controls, through reefing, & or by the other usual methods. But... I'm curious as to firsthand thoughts on her response to various ways of adding light air HP.

And might I ask, what were the reasons behind getting a new boom? More features, like extra sheaves @ the clew end for more reefing options? Extra jammers/clutches @ the gooseneck? Other, "Gucci" features? A stiffer section in general? Or "D, none of the above"?

Also, I'm curious as to what's in your sail "quiver" (inventory), & of them, what gets used the most, & why? Main, & primary jib aside that is. Plus, what sails would you abhor not having onboard. And the flip side. Money & space not being an issue, what would you add in terms of sails?
Ah, & I almost forgot. What are your thoughts on the quality, wear rate/longevity, & detail work built into the sails which you have now?

I hope that I haven't melted your brain(s) with my slew of questions. It's just tough not to be REAL curious about such a pretty, & seemingly well performing boat. Thus my curiosity to know more, prior to possibly calling about seeing her.

Thanks!

PS: How far up the main, specifically, are the various reef points that you have? And if you could do it again, would you change them, or much in general about your main?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 07-06-2015, 17:56   #14

That's a lot of questions

/deepbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Firstly, does this boat have the tall rig (I = 54"), or the shorter rig (I = 51')? And how does she do once the breeze goes south of 10kts?
Plus, part of that question would entail; how roachy is the main; way extended, or of a more standard cut?
Also, to aide in answering this, I'm looking for a response, based on when she's not flying a headsail much bigger than 135%.
Tall rig.
The main is not roachy, standard.
The boat does well in light winds, but, that's with a 150%. I could do 6 knot beam reach in 8 knots. I would guess with a 135%, I would do 4-5 knots.

If you are using that size sail, the boat will do well in light winds.

Quote:
So these boats, for their size, have relatively small mainsails (thanks to the racing rules, sail area "taxation rates" of their day). But, being free of such encumbrances now, if one were to add, say 2-3'+/- to the boom/"E" dimension of the main (in order to add some sail area). Do you think that doing this would wind up creating a bad case of weather helm?
I would have no idea. The boat is supposed to get power from the jib, I would think you would be better adding area there.

Quote:
Not in light air, but rather, in the mid ranges. Like from say, AWA = 10kts, up into the high teens, wind wise?
Obviously one can tune out some poor helming characteristics via the various sail controls, through reefing, & or by the other usual methods. But... I'm curious as to firsthand thoughts on her response to various ways of adding light air HP.
In 10-15 knots, the Tartan starts to crush other boats. I did the Caribbean 1500 in 10-20 knots, mostly upwind. We came second in class.

Quote:
And might I ask, what were the reasons behind getting a new boom? More features, like extra sheaves @ the clew end for more reefing options? Extra jammers/clutches @ the gooseneck? Other, "Gucci" features? A stiffer section in general? Or "D, none of the above"?
The PO put it in, I think for the reefing set up.

Quote:
Also, I'm curious as to what's in your sail "quiver" (inventory), & of them, what gets used the most, & why? Main, & primary jib aside that is. Plus, what sails would you abhor not having onboard. And the flip side. Money & space not being an issue, what would you add in terms of sails?
Ah, & I almost forgot. What are your thoughts on the quality, wear rate/longevity, & detail work built into the sails which you have now?
New offshore main and 115%. 150% we blew out *cough*. A symmetrical spin.

A nice addition would be one of those fancy cruising sym spins, like a code zero.

Quote:
How far up the main, specifically, are the various reef points that you have? And if you could do it again, would you change them, or much in general about your main?
They are pretty standard, you can see on the doyle website. They have worked well, the second reef takes us to 35-40 knot winds. Never had to use the 3rd reef.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:35   #15

Are you headed up to Annapolis? How long will you stay in the Chesapeake. Would like to take a look at your boat.

Rick

Tags
water