Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 13:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Sailomat 3040 L

This is a "Rare" vane, auxiliary rudder, designed for larger or higher free board boats then the standard length 3040. It is perfect for a 40+ foot center cockpit with hydraulic steering, as there is no connection to the boat's steering system, it has it own rudder. My searches on the internet found many praising this unit as the best they had ever used. Sailomat reportedly stopped production of this model because it was too expensive to manufacture.

I bought this with the intention of mounting on our Westerly, but we changed boats, and the new one already has a wind vane.

It needed some work, I had a machinist make some new parts for the gearbox, and they are installed. The unit still needs some paint, and a small bit of filler on the servo oar. Additionally, you will need a counterweight - I was waiting to make one once installed to make sure it was correct. Any machinist could do this - it attaches with just a simple boat - so nothing fancy. Or you could just find a small hunk of lead, and tap it yourself. There is also some FRP repair on the rudder, shown in the photo, but this should be just cosmetic. A second set of the derlin replacement blocks just visible in the last photo is included.

$1000 + shipping from 27523 (or local pickup from Apex or New Bern, NC

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.
http://www.witzgallphotography.com/images/sailomat3.JPG

Chris