Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 10:14   #1

Sailboat Survey in Sarasota FL.

hi
I need a good sailboat surveyor in Sarasota that will not cost me an arm and a leg. I found a boat I would like to purchase. My main concern on the boat is Osmosis...
Old 22-09-2015, 10:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: sailboat survey in Sarasota fl.

Hi Mygirl and welcome to the forum.

If osmosis is your main concern and you don't need a survey for insurance then that is easy enough to check for yourself. Haul the boat and look at the bottom for bumps and pimples. Tap them with a hard rubber or wood mallet, pop a few with a screwdriver. If you want to do a preliminary check without paying for a haulout you can inspect the boat in the water (do you diver or snorkel?).

However on an older boat I would just as concerned, if not more so, about deck leaks and wet or rotted core. If really bad that can be a much bigger problem than your average osmosis issue.
Old 22-09-2015, 10:29   #3

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Membership Requirements | NAMSGlobal

Frequently Asked Questions

Pick a NAMS surveyor, you cannot save enough on a disappointing survey to make it worthwhile.
Old 22-09-2015, 10:56   #4

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Membership Requirements | NAMSGlobal

Frequently Asked Questions

Pick a NAMS surveyor, you cannot save enough on a disappointing survey to make it worthwhile.
Looks to me like this is just an 'old boys club'. You need to be in the club to get into the club. Very little of the way in knowledge is required to get in, and none at all to stay in.

A better idea is to ask around to find a surveyor or inspector that has a good reputation. Talk to him/her and see if they are familiar with the types of boats you are looking at and the problems they might find. Ask to see a copy of a prior survey. Or to avoid cherry-picking, find someone that has used this surveyor and ask to see a copy of that survey.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:20   #5

Re: Sailboat Survey in Sarasota FL.

unfortunately I am not there I am from out of state. The boat is on a trailer and I need a pre purchasing inspection. What I can see is that there is no blisters and he said that there is none. Which gives me a little bit of concern. It's a 1980s boat. I have seen several picture and have spoke to him in depth I believe him that its great condition.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:28   #6

I'm thinking around 400.00 but one quote was 700.00 and another one was 600.00. It's on the hard,its not a big boat. Just saying
Old 22-09-2015, 13:23   #7

Boat: sloop 35'

Hi, since it's on a trailer, make an appointment and take it to a good boat yard for a professional look see and even if you have to pay for an estimate it will be less than a survey. The only yard I had experience with in that area is Sneed Island, they are full service, family run and have been there 100 years. They have seen every brand of boat and can tell you if there are particular items to look for. Good luck!
Old 22-09-2015, 14:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If the boat is on a trailer then two possibilities.

Has it always stayed on a trailer and not long term docked in the water? Then very unlikely the boat will have blisters even if it was a model very prone to blisters because blisters come from water permeating the glass and reacting with the resins. If the boat lives on the trailer when not actually in use then the hull would not have time to saturate and form blisters.

If the boat lived in the water but was pulled for storage onto a trailer then if it has been there more than a few weeks any blisters will most likely have dried up, shrunk and will be very tricky to detect. Not impossible but will take a practiced eye and a much closer look than a casual inspection.

Again, in either case I would still be at least as concerned about wet core in the deck unless it's an all glass, uncored boat.
Old 22-09-2015, 14:38   #9

thank you everyone. I received a call back from Snead Island marina surveys. It will be surveyed this week I will keep you posted.
Old 23-09-2015, 07:59   #10

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If the boat is on a trailer then two possibilities.

Has it always stayed on a trailer and not long term docked in the water? Then very unlikely the boat will have blisters even if it was a model very prone to blisters because blisters come from water permeating the glass and reacting with the resins. If the boat lives on the trailer when not actually in use then the hull would not have time to saturate and form blisters.

If the boat lived in the water but was pulled for storage onto a trailer then if it has been there more than a few weeks any blisters will most likely have dried up, shrunk and will be very tricky to detect. Not impossible but will take a practiced eye and a much closer look than a casual inspection.

Again, in either case I would still be at least as concerned about wet core in the deck unless it's an all glass, uncored boat.
This post is right on the money. Hopefully you'll look at the boat before buying.
Old 23-09-2015, 11:53   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirl View Post
hi
I need a good sailboat surveyor in Sarasota that will not cost me an arm and a leg. I found a boat I would like to purchase. My main concern on the boat is Osmosis...
I think you can probably check yourself when hauled for basically blisters.

Get a certified surveyor if you get one. If not you will probably pissing that money away.
Old 23-09-2015, 14:10   #12

Thanks Cadence, for the thought. I'm in Minnesota and its all about feeling that I will know as much about this purchase as possible. It's worth the 400.00 I really like the boat or I would not do it.
Old 23-09-2015, 15:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

You are from Minnesota, the boat is in Florida on a trailer and is from the 1980's and you have not seen it. I think I get the picture. Why not buy a plane ticket and go see it? Or is that too costly? How much will it cost to trailer it to Minnesota--an arm and a leg? You want a surveyor "that will not cost me an arm and a leg." Since cost is clearly your major concern, what will happen when you buy this boat and it needs repairs or new parts or replacements? Will you always choose the least expensive route? Will low cost always be the decisive factor? What is "an arm and a leg" and since most every surveyors I have ever dealt with charge somewhere about 20 to 25 a foot (I don't know what they charge for an arm and a leg) for a pre-purchase survey, is it your goal to get the cheapest, the best or just not to spend much money at all? Use the most amazing information and marketing tool known to humans and go online and do a quick search for a surveyor. Why not read their bios and their certifications and call them and pick one you like? Why not tell we the forum members a bit about this boat? Perhaps blistering is or will be the least of your concerns. Based on the fact that it is on a trailer and the prices you are quoting for a survey, I would guess it is between 20' and 30'. You got a quote for $600 and one for $700 and are going for the one at $400. You get what you pay for. I wish you well. Keep us posted.
Old 23-09-2015, 15:36   #14

Boat: Scout 30

This will sound harsh & I apologize beforehand but if you cannot afford to fly down & look at the boat you can't afford to own it. Buying a boat is the cheap part.
Old 23-09-2015, 15:45   #15
Marine Service Provider

Thank you Scout 40. It does not sound harsh and there is no need to apologize. You are providing honest, straight talk that is needed. One has to wonder why a person 1000 miles away from a boat he finds online is going online to find a surveyor that "wont cost an arm and a leg". My educated guess is that he thinks it is a great deal, ie. it's really cheap! And why not find a similar small boat on a trailer in Minnesota? According to 2010 NMMA statistics....read on:
  1. Florida: 914,535 registered boats in 2010. Florida held the number one spot for total boat registrations, decreasing 3.6 percent from 2009’s 949,030.
  2. Minnesota: 813,976 registered boats in 2010. Minnesota moved from third to second for boat registrations, increasing 0.3 percent from 2009’s 811.775
Perhaps the OP will provide us with a link to this boat for sale on a trailer and we can offer informed opinions.

Tags
sail, sailboat, sarasota, survey