Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 10:24   #1

Responsible couple looking to charter a boat in the Leeward Islands for 2-3 months

Hi,
My girlfriend and I are planning a 3 month trip around the Caribbean starting at the end of December. We originally considered buying a boat and then reselling it at the end of the trip, but this seems pretty involved and perhaps a little irresponsible. However, if we were to charter a boat from one of the various charter companies it would be around $40k!, which is somewhat above our budget.
I wanted to reach out to this forum to see is anyone would be willing to charter their own boat for 3 months. We’re definitely not looking for the newest boat. The sort of boats we were looking at buying were 1980s Beneteaus or Jeanneau. We just need something that comfortable, well maintained and will get us round.
We’re both very responsible people, taking a career break from working at Amazon, and would really look after whatever boat we charter.
If anyone would be interested in doing this, please PM me.
Thanks
Glenn
Old 26-09-2016, 23:14   #2

Re: Responsible couple looking to charter a boat in the Leeward Islands for 2-3 month

Sorry but I don't have a boat to rent out...

What size are you looking at?

I hope you find something!
Old 27-09-2016, 01:18   #3

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27
Re: Responsible couple looking to charter a boat in the Leeward Islands for 2-3 month

glannie, although I don't have a boat to rent either, it might help if you share some of your sailing experience here before asking for someone to give you their boat on charter. Just my thoughts. And BTW, welcome to CF!
Old 27-09-2016, 13:22   #4

I'm curious how you would deal with the insurance on this. I know that hull and liability for a chartered boat is a significant portion of the charter amount, seems it would be even more on a one-off like this without a charter companies pool size.
Old 28-09-2016, 17:44   #5

I've seen seabbatical offers longer term charters. I have not used them so cannot comment quality
Old 29-09-2016, 12:23   #6

Thanks for the feedback all and the welcome to CF!

@Teknishn - I've logged about 5000 miles since I got my license.

@andreas.mehlin - we're looking for something between 36 - 40ft.

@14murs14 - good point. Not sure how this would work. Need to look into it.

@jhrigs - yes, I checked out seabatical. Their prices are very lofty.
Old 02-10-2016, 13:14   #7

Boat: Vivacity 24, Twin Keel

Not sure why a buy and sell is irresponsible. If you know what you are getting, and the new buyer knows what they are getting, what's irresponsible? The risks are the same, presumably, if you are taking full responsibility for any damage arising from your use. The main added risk is buying high and selling low due to pressure to resell, but if you're talking about a 40-50k boat and you're comfortable w losing 5k, it seems pretty straightforward.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-10-2016, 20:04   #8

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

there are hundreds of boats in the 40 to 50 K range ready to go cruising that you can buy it and sell it for less after you are done with the adventure. On the other hand, winter is the high season in the south and normally this is when we go sailing there. I would suggest to try this from April on. The weather is much nicer than, the crowds are gone and availability of the vacant boat increases dramatically

Tags
charter, leeward islands