Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 13:00   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Nice Corbin 39 CHEAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
The Chesapeake Maritime Museum accepts and sells donation boats, and always has a number for sale cheap.

Right now, they have a Corbin 39 with a really sweet description. (I have no affiliation with boat or museum.)

1461 CORBIN 39 Motorsailor-1984-recent refit-new Volvo 40 hp saildrive-roller furling-
Solar charging-wind generator-autopilot-full electronics-10 ft dinghy-refrigeration-
h/d laptop with all charts- MD 3077CA NEW PRICING $67,500

See link below -

Give to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Thank you so much for giving the Forum a Head's Up.Exactly one year ago I,was leaving Deale Md on a boat I,had just purchased if this post was then I,would have been looking seriously at the Corbin.
Old 15-01-2013, 13:12   #17

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

After sailing 5 years and 15 countries on a Corbin, crossing the Atlantic twice, I can say that it is a comfortable cruiser. Not the fastest boat on the ocean, but there were many times we heard folks lamenting the rough seas, and had to go out and take a look to see what they were talking about. It's not a jumpy boat, so most of the time we were wondering what folks were complaining about.

Having said that, a Beneteau will kick a Corbin's butt in the speed department. But the folks on the Corbin won't have to worry so much about reefing, or getting wet.

Hull Airex core, deck plywood core, gelcoat cracks mostly on dark stripe. Keel, 9000lbs lead encased in glass.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 07-02-2013, 17:23   #18

I own Corbin 39 hull number 144 since 1997. All Corbins have solid fiberglass up tot he water line and Airex cored above the waterline. The decks are cored with plywood. The gelcoat is exceptionally thick and very hard, and surface cracks are not rare, but are not structural, just cosmetic. Osmosis is encountered in some hulls. Mine was just iunder the gelcoat, and no deeper. I had the hull peeled in New Zealand in 2001 and it has been perfect ever since.
Old 07-02-2013, 18:28   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Arent the decks cored with 4"x4" squares of wood with glass/ resin between kind of like a tile? That way any water intrusion stays isolated? I had read some pretty impressive things about them when we were looking at one.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:20   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

If you aren't in a hurry, Corbins are quite nice in terms of hull, comfort and space. If still in play, it's probably worth a look, although the "owner-finished" aspect can go wildly either way.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.

Tags
cheap