Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 14:13   #1

Boat: Bombay PH 31
need small motor

Need sailboat engine - $1 (Eau gallie)

Hi guys,
I finally got my transmission on only to find out water got in cylinder some time in the last month or two when rear seal was off, locked up tight.
Need to replace 23hp vetues m-310 which is standard cyl mitibusi block like kubuto, westerbeke and universal uses.

Eng bed is 19.5"X22.5 and working height is 27. any thing cheap that will get me out the inlet will work. if it lasts to key west that's be great. me and my boys are going home yep got my BOYS back,F the leagel crap DCF says just go, take them home, leave her wherever she wants as soon as i can get down ICW.

Will consider outboard on bracket even. got to be cheap. i have moved boat easily with 6hp in calm so hp would probably work.
This boats started with an atomic four then a volvo 25 raw then that crappy vetues now what? would LOVE HAND CRANK AND RAW WATER. oh and an alternator would be nice.
email me only, i have one of those darn minute phones.

keyspcATgmailDOTcom.

im the ketch thats been stuck behind eua gallie library centerl FL ICW melbourne area for a freaking year trying to get transmission and kids dealt with. BTW donations will be tax deductible
Old 03-04-2012, 14:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: need small motor

Maybe time to get a job?
Old 03-04-2012, 14:31   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving

boost mobile 50 per month unlimited text and calls, every 6 months it goes down my 5 dollars,,,no contracts
Old 03-04-2012, 17:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Maybe time to get a job?
might go up that way .
When do i start?
Old 03-04-2012, 19:41   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Maybe try Auto matic Trans fluid in the cylinders for a day or two you might be suprised it will oft times loosen things up enough to make em run !! justa thought form a old diesel mechanic !
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22   #6

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Another useful rust remover is to use brake fluid in cylinders, let soak for several days AND the try to move crank a little at a time in both direction. Always add additional brake fluid after moving crank. Hopefully you will be able to loosen the rings from the cylinder and be able after several days to get the crank to rotate a complete 360 degrees. NEVER force the crank as you are trying to get it to move ( broken rings are possible if you do). This type of work will take several days to several weeks depending on amount of rust. Remember this is Free advice and it is worth what it cost. I have used this procedure several times and it has worked for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34   #7

Poured it in glow plug holes and exhasht ports. fingers are crosed.
BTW brutb are you in cocco marinea on banna river? if so do they let crap like mine in there?
Old 05-04-2012, 16:37   #8

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Nope, am over on the canal between Cocoa and Cocoa Beach. Near I 528 and hiway 3 in Merritt Island. Search Square Harbor Marina. This is a laid back liveaboard marina with 95% sailboats. Come visit.
Old 05-04-2012, 16:58   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Maybe try Auto matic Trans fluid in the cylinders for a day or two you might be suprised it will oft times loosen things up enough to make em run !! justa thought form a old diesel mechanic
Again, this is pure Internet advice, but I have read that the best penetrating fluid, bar none, is a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission oil and acetone. Never tried it myself, but I intend to eventually.
Old 05-04-2012, 17:10   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

It Will work !! I always pull the injectors, pore it in the cylinders let it sit a day and work the engine with a BIG wrench and in a day or 3 they will get movein !! never tried useing acetone with it but can see where it might help if ya have it handy !! I don't think I can count the Motors Ive freed up over the years doing this !! and for 10 15 bucks its sure worth the trouble, maybe even less if ya can get the auto fluid for cheap !! LOL Just tryin to help a broke dude ! Just my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2012, 17:59   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

By the way, trying to picture here how water got into the cylinders when "the rear seal was off." Was the boat flooded? If so, you may have lots of other problems with that motor. However, normally you would not imagine water migrating up to the cylinders if the rear seal between the engine and transmission was gone.
Old 05-04-2012, 20:53   #12

The 50/50 of acetone and automatic transmission fluid came from tests that were done at a university, and were published in an engineering magazine. I saw it posted on an aviation web site and have used it succesfully on a couple of engines. It was supposed to be better than kroll, mouse milk and liquid wrench. It tested better and was a lot cheaper than the rest. My 2 cents worth_____Grant.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
By the way, trying to picture here how water got into the cylinders when "the rear seal was off." Was the boat flooded? If so, you may have lots of other problems with that motor. However, normally you would not imagine water migrating up to the cylinders if the rear seal between the engine and transmission was gone.
rear mounts off, motor way down, somehow got stern to, forgot the plug in overboard exhaust, cause i cranked it over before taking off trans

Tags
motor